PDA

View Full Version : I've had enough of camping in my house

candaceb
09-01-2011, 10:54 PM
We're about to start day six of no power post-Irene. The first day was OK. The second was kind of fun because all the neighbors were out cleaning up. It's all been downhill since then. No power, no water (we have a well), no Internet other than on my iPhone, no coffee in the morning without putting DS in the car for a half hour, mountains of dirty dishes and dirty clothes, etc. I just want a shower and a cup of coffee in the morning in my own home. That's all.

MamaMolly
09-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Poor thing! We were without electricity once for about the same amount of time, only due to and ice storm in the winter. The kicker? The day after the power got turned on the power company discovered that the post connecting the line to the house was bent and turned it off again FOR TWO WEEKS. :eek: DH and I moved in with my sister.

I can't imagine it with kids and without water. You have my P & PT for a speedy return of services!!!!

zoestargrove
09-01-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm sorry. Do you have any idea if you are close to getting your power back? We were without power during the 2008 ice storm for 7 days. Like you, I thought it was fun at first, but I pretty much reached my limit by day 6. Sending hugs and hope that the lights come on tonight.

K

lhafer
09-02-2011, 07:47 AM
:hug: Hope it comes back on quick!! It really sucks being without power for a long time.

BTDT with Hurricane Ike here. For us, it was 2 weeks without power (but we had water). Thankfully we had a gas stove, so I could use that to cook with. We didn't have a generator for the first week.

The kicker was that the houses directly across the street and next to mine were on a different circuit and got back power a full WEEK before we did. But they had evactuated and weren't home, so we couldn't "borrow" their power. Then the house right next door has a MASSIVE gas leak during the power outage that almost killed me and DD1. But that's another story...

DietCokeLover
09-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Ugh, I am so sorry. Being without power is miserable. I hope it comes on very soon.

elephantmeg
09-02-2011, 08:02 AM
aww, hugs. I would be way over it too! Can you get a generator to power your well pump?

KathyN115
09-02-2011, 08:33 AM
So sorry! We were only without power for 2 days, and that was long enough!! And that was with water, I can't imagine no power or water. Hopefully it comes back on soon!

elizabethkott
09-02-2011, 08:53 AM
UGH! That's horrible.
P&PT that your power comes back on soon.

ABO Mama
09-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Are there any generators left in the store? Anyway to get one to your house?

candaceb
09-02-2011, 01:24 PM
We're clearing out of here in a couple of hours to go to Cape Cod for the weekend. Hopefully when we come back on Monday we'll have power. Apparently hooking up a generator to a well is more complicated and requires special wiring. Our neighbors have a generator and keep trying to get it hooked up to their well but haven't been able to. We keep thinking it has to end soon but it just keeps going. The current estimate is Sunday for power to be restored.
The really crappy thing is that the washing machine at the cape is broken so we're going there with dirty clothes that can't be washed. Except for DS of course who has enough clothes to last another week...

bubbaray
09-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah, in my research last night Liz (other thread) I learned that to hook up a generator to a furnace fan or well requires a transfer box, so that the generator can be hooked up to the house wiring without out feeding back power through the lines and electrocuting people.

It sounds like it is not super expensive (the part seemed to be around $500, but it depends on the type of transfer box you need), but you'd have to pay an electrician, its not a DIY project. You'd also need a bigger generator to run a well pump vs one you hook up by extension cord to a freezer.

I hope you get power soon! That just sucks! Can you find a laundromat at the Cape?

Kungjo
09-02-2011, 02:23 PM
That sucks! Hope it gets turned back on real soon.

liz
09-03-2011, 12:43 PM
OP, I hope you are able to relax a bit this weekend. I hope you return to electricity!!

candaceb
09-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Well, power was restored on Saturday, 12 hours shy of a full week without electricity. We came home from the cape Monday night. Yesterday the Internet connection was slow and flakey. This morning the power went out again at 8am and is still out 12 hours later. We're leaving for the il's tomorrow afternoon and I still have a small mountain of laundry to do. The people on the plane will not be happy sitting next to me if I don't get a shower before then. This really really sucks.

plusbellelavie
09-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I am so sorry! That is terrible...I hope it gets resolved for you ASAP!

BoL

liz
09-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Well, power was restored on Saturday, 12 hours shy of a full week without electricity. We came home from the cape Monday night. Yesterday the Internet connection was slow and flakey. This morning the power went out again at 8am and is still out 12 hours later. We're leaving for the il's tomorrow afternoon and I still have a small mountain of laundry to do. The people on the plane will not be happy sitting next to me if I don't get a shower before then. This really really sucks.

What!? Still no reliable power? I am so, so sorry. That sucks!