PDA

View Full Version : Mobile IM App Q

alleycat
09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Are IM's sent using your phone counted as a text message or covered under your data plan?

So I got a Droid back in July, right before Verizon changed the data plan pricing. I was looking at my bill today and realized this month's bill is $164 more than last month's. Looking further into why, I saw that I had A LOT of text messages. I don't have a texting plan and I'm real careful with texting (I don't text unless absolutely necessary). I realized I was charged per instant message. I use the mobile IM app that came with the phone, I thought it was part of the data package since I was going through an app. And there's a separate app for messaging/text.

I haven't told DH about this yet. He's going to have a heart attack.:crying:

LD92599
09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
I use AIM and its data on the iphone.

GaPeach_in_Ca
09-02-2011, 01:27 AM
I have a Verizon droid and DH & I use Google Talk nonstop. It's data.

alleycat
09-02-2011, 08:45 AM
I downloaded AIM after this whole fiasco. The app just says Mobile IM so now I'm wondering why isn't it under the data plan.

Is Google Talk the same as Google Voice?

BillK
09-02-2011, 08:48 AM
We use Google Voice for txting - it's free and has no effect on our regular txt message usage or numbers. I really should just drop the $5/200 message plan we both have since our regular txt's are almost non-existent now that we use Google Voice.

edit - pretty sure Google Talk is more of a chat thing - while Google Voice is txt messages (or even regular phone calls if you choose that option - I guess some people use it for giving out to avoid telemarketers so their "regular" number isn't out there - like having a "spam" email address).

weech
09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
We use Kik Messenger on our Droids and it does not count against text messages... though DH STILL went over the text limit on his phone last month. Argh!