PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone every heard of "The Wet Brush"?

randomkid
09-02-2011, 09:59 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000L596FE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004GSX31K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YBWA93TVASVKGX6D87T

It gets rave reviews on Amazon. I was all set to get a Knot Genie for DD's thick, curly hair when I found this. The price is very appealing and the reviews are good. I just don't think I would like using a brush, the Knot Genie, that doesn't have a handle. Plus, $20 for a brush seems a bit steep when I've heard that it sometimes comes apart.

TwinFoxes
09-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I've been thinking about getting one. We have the KG, and it works great, but I'm always up for new things. FWIW, mine has never come apart, and it hasn't exactly been treated with tender loving care. :) I don't think mine was $20 either, I think it was only $14, so the savings isn't that great. But I would like a handle. Let us know if you get one, I'd love a review.

mypa
09-02-2011, 10:40 AM
I learned about the wet brush here and got some to give to a friend's DD who has hair down to her waist and for years would cry at having her hair brushed after being washed. This used to be a huge source of stress for them both. After using the brush, my friend has repeatedly told me it has changed their lives! It really works.

Like you, I like that it has a handle (and cheap). I have small hands and would find the Knot Genie and the like hard to hold.

ETA: Friend's DD can also brush her own hair now, makes it easy with the handle.

lhafer
09-02-2011, 10:45 AM
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!

I have a 5 year old who is VERY VERY tender headed. You just look at a tangle and it would bring her to tears! Brushing her hair was a nightmare for her and me, and it's only shoulder length hair. It resulted in a screaming fest every morning. It got to where I would only brush it in the morning because I just couldn't do it again.

I have gone through MANY types of brushes, and none really worked at getting the tangles out gently.

Until now!

I bought 2 of these - one for her bathroom, and one for mine. We can now easily brush her hair after her bath when it's wet. I can brush it without tears or even a frown in the morning. It manages tangles easily, but without too much hard pulling. And best of all...SHE can brush her OWN hair and do a fantastic job!

LOVE these brushes!

lablover
09-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I bought one a couple months ago after reading about them here. We love it! DD has fine hair that tangles very easily when wet. She used to always scream when her hair was brushed. This really does work!

ohiomom1121
09-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Huge hit here...we just got a knot genie as well and I think they work about the same. I like the handle better though.

athompson
09-02-2011, 11:08 AM
This brush changed my life. I am not kidding:D
Brushing my 7 year old DDs hair used to end in a crying fit every single time. No more crying fits! We have four of them.

kochh2
09-02-2011, 11:12 AM
we have a tangle teeser, bought at sally for like 10 bucks... OH how i love that brush... it's made brushing DD's long, fine, curly hair soooo much easier. I didn't want to have to wait for soemthing to be shipped, so i went to sally, and got that, and some leave in conditioner that is not spray, and OH how our lives have changed LOL!! Oh, yes, and i have stopped buying expensive conditioner, and just picked up VO5 for like one dollar, and lather that on when she washes her hair, use a very wide toothed "shower comb" and evenly distribute it.... so far, DD has shed WAAAAY fewer tears since i've invested a little more $ and effort into taming her beast!!

hillview
09-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I got one and it works well for my hair and the boy's hair. DS2 had longer hair that is very fine and got tangled every night (no matter what we did before bed). No tears. We got a pink one which was not so great according to DS1.
/hillary

MMMommy
09-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes, we have two. I use them every morning, and they work great.

Jo..
09-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Same concept as Knot Genie or Tangle Teaser, with a handle. I have a friend who loves hers.

LexyLou
09-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I love the wet brush! My DD has thick wavy hair that gets knotted really easily. Brushing her hair was always a struggle until the wet brush. I seriously have no idea how they do it, but I love this brush!

I just ordered a could knot genies on Zulily too, so I can have one in my purse and one upstairs. I haven't tried them yet so I'll let you know how it compares.

lfp2n
09-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Love the wet brush- learnt about it here- totally changed our screaming and unpleasant hairwashing sessions, in fact now DD takes care of it herself. We only use it on wet hair and never really pull but somehow it slides through.
On non-hairwashing days we use a regular brush but DD really just smoothens the top and lets the tangle accumulate underneath til hairwashing day.

KathyN115
09-02-2011, 12:49 PM
How do these work? How are they different from a regular brush? I think I will get one, as DD's hair tangles like crazy and she hates to have it brushed.

bigsis
09-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Love it! Love it! Love it!

That goes for me and my 8yo DD! My DD has long, wavy hair that is beautiful but hard to maintain. Not now! She looooooooves brushing her own hair now and does a wonderful job at it.

All I can say is---buy 2!!! :)

daisymommy
09-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh thank-goodness.
I am done with the crying & tears and my guilt from brushing DD's tangly hair. I often avoid it because I just can't deal with hurting her!
Can't wait to try this brush out! Thanks for the recc.

AnnieW625
09-02-2011, 04:17 PM
It looks to be a regular hair brush to me. We have a Mason Pearson, that is about the same size, and a Mason Pearson knockoff from Sally Beauty Supply. I never ever thought I'd spend $60 on a Mason Pearson but I am so glad that I did. It is 10x better than the Sally knockoff. I should buy a Wet Brush just to see how it compares to the MP!

lfp2n
09-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I have a MP for dry brushing and a Wet brush for wet- they are very different! I was always taught NEVER to brush wet hair as it tears but I even do my own hair this way too! The wet brush has these sort of balls on the end of each bristle. Its weird

Jo..
09-02-2011, 04:57 PM
It looks to be a regular hair brush to me. We have a Mason Pearson, that is about the same size, and a Mason Pearson knockoff from Sally Beauty Supply. I never ever thought I'd spend $60 on a Mason Pearson but I am so glad that I did. It is 10x better than the Sally knockoff. I should buy a Wet Brush just to see how it compares to the MP!

No, no, no! The Wet Brush, Tangle Teaser, and Knot Genie are VERY different than regular hairbrushes. They have short flexible rubber "spikes" instead of bristles. Maybe you had a rubber dog brush at some point. These are similar. They take a TON of work out of brushing long or curly hair, and they hurt a LOT less than a regular hairbrush. DD would have a crewcut by now if I hadn't read about these brushes here. Her hair is curly and down to her butt when it's wet. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brush with a regular brush or comb.