PDA

View Full Version : 27" or 30" wall oven?

kristenk
09-02-2011, 11:10 AM
We had someone come out yesterday to give us an estimate on our kitchen remodel. :yay::cheerleader1:

We have a 27" wall oven that we purchased maybe 8 years ago. It works fine.

With the kitchen remodel, we might have the option to put in a larger cabinet so that a 30" wall oven would fit.

We haven't had any problems with the 27". Sometimes it feels a little tight when I have to fit multiple pans inside it, but that's not any everyday thing.

So, would you go with space for a 30" oven or for a 27" oven if it meant replacing an oven that worked perfectly well?

Staraglimmer
09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
What about having a double oven? Keeping the 27" and adding a 30" above/below it? That is what we did. It comes in handy more than I thought it would. Hth.

If you don't want 2, could you have the cabinet ordered to accept a 30" later?

Sent from my iPhone
Steph

larig
09-02-2011, 11:51 AM
:yeahthat: double ovens are AWESOME! my mom has one, and I only wish I could have one in our tiny house!

BabyH
09-02-2011, 12:27 PM
30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30!!!!

Get as big as you can. We replaced our ovens a couple of years ago (we have the double wall ovens too) but our space in the kitchen was very specific for the size we could get. As in, a mm off could have created pandemonium if we had ordered the wrong size. (It's a point of contention we have with this house... but that's a whole 'nother thread)

Don't sell yourself short. After a few years of not even being able to fit roasting or lasagna pans in my ovens..... now I can!!!! (Oh, and newer ovens are much thinner on the sides, which was one of our major problems (see previous sentence) with the 1981 models that were in the house when we bought it.)

HIU8
09-02-2011, 12:34 PM
A couple of thoughts:

1) get the 30 inch wall over (go as big as you can. You will not regret it)
2) if you can do a double wall oven, you should strongly consider it. YOu will not regret a purchase like that either.

kristenk
09-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Right now, here's what the wall oven cabinet looks like. At the bottom, we have a deep drawer. Above that is the 27" wall oven. Above that is a microwave/convection unit. Above that is a tall cabinet with a door. So, it's basically a somewhat built-in look for the microwave, but using a regular countertop microwave.

From what everyone here is saying, it sounds like it would be a really good idea to go with a 30" oven. I'd love to have a larger oven, but it just seems so wasteful! It makes sense to go with a cabinet that would support a 30" oven, but then putting the 27" oven in there for a while seems sort of silly.

We've been planning on replacing the dishwasher and cooktop (switching from electric to gas!), but leaving the oven, micro and fridge alone.

Crossing my fingers for a good quote on the remodel so that we have the money to use on updated appliances, if we so choose.

Kungjo
09-02-2011, 02:22 PM
My previous house had double ovens. My current house doesn't. I miss my double ovens sooooooo much. It you have the room, get them. You won't regret it and it also helps with resale to have them.

twowhat?
09-02-2011, 02:30 PM
If double ovens aren't an option, I would strongly suggest getting a single 30-inch convection oven. We had one in our old house when we re-did the kitchen. We LOVED it. We have double ovens in our new home and still miss our convection oven. In a convection oven you can roast 2 chickens, cook 2 pans of lasagna, etc, roast a chicken on top and potatoes on the bottom, etc. It's like having 1.5 ovens.

crl
09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
If you are keeping the layout, I would seriously consider a regular wall oven and a built in advantium above it. The advantium can function as a second oven, as a microwave or as a speed cooker.

And I would get the thirty inch if possible.

Catherine

BeachBum
09-02-2011, 03:17 PM
If you are keeping the layout, I would seriously consider a regular wall oven and a built in advantium above it. The advantium can function as a second oven, as a microwave or as a speed cooker.

Catherine

Yeah, we have a "speed cook" microwave oven. I love using it for one baking dish, a couple of cookies, chicken breasts etc.

I think if you can afford to upgrade your micro to an micro oven then keep your old oven. If you can't upgrade, then get a bigger oven.

kristenk
09-02-2011, 03:21 PM
I think if you can afford to upgrade your micro to an micro oven then keep your old oven. If you can't upgrade, then get a bigger oven.

We already have a combination microwave/convection oven. Is that what you're talking about upgrading the micro to?

MamaSnoo
09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Another vote for 30".

I also use my double ovens more than I thought I would.

mackmama
09-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I'd either go for a double oven or the 30. I think people want bigger ovens, so it would be better for resale down the road.

ThreeofUs
09-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Hmmm.... well, first, congrats on getting a kitchen redo! That sounds fabulous.

I think I'd get a bigger oven. I have 27" double ovens, though, and have to say I love them. They take no time at all to warm up (even on convection!) and cook very evenly.

kristenk
09-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Hmmm.... well, first, congrats on getting a kitchen redo! That sounds fabulous.

Thanks! I can't wait to get the estimate. Right now, I'm really excited, but that might change when we find out how much this will cost. Our house was built in 1980. The kitchen isn't very large and I need to be able to use all of the space that I have in there. As it is currently, there's a whole lot of wasted/dead space that we can't really do anything with.

I think we'll be going with the 30" wall oven, if we can get the width for it.