PDA

View Full Version : Feel a little silly but could use some P&PT for my dog

MaiseyDog
09-02-2011, 02:36 PM
I've never called on the power of the message board, but I'm having a really hard day today and could use all the positive energy I can get. My sweet 9 yo chocolate lab had a seizure last night. She's never had one before and if anyone has ever seen one, it's pretty scary. Anyway, I took her to the emergancy vet last night and they checked her over and did blood work, but everything looked fine. There isn't really anyway to know right now what caused it and for the most part we just have to wait and see if she has another. They offered to keep her overnight just for observation, but the vet did say that in the majority of cases when they keep a dog over, they don't have another seizure and that he thought it would be fine to take her home. I figured she would be happier at home in her own bed. I didn't sleep a wink worried that she would have another though.

Today, I've put in a call to our vet but haven't heard back from him yet. DH did get a call from on of the other vets in the practice we use saying that they got the blood work from the emergancy vet and that we needed to be watching her to make sure she doesn't have another and made a big deal about how she could have another and not come out of it. Now I'm all worried. I mean, I can't watch her all the time - I have to go to work and sleep at some point.

Sorry if this is long, but my point is... if anyone has any words of wisdom or experience or can send some P&PT our way that'd be great.

bubbaray
09-02-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm so sorry, you must be so worried. P&PT and mojo for you and your doggy.

larig
09-02-2011, 02:42 PM
big PTs!!!

Do you have an iPhone? If so, I saw a camera that might help you observe her while you're away.

smiles33
09-02-2011, 02:46 PM
P&PT for your sweet dog! My own dog never had seizures, but my good friend's 10+ year old dog started having them last year. She's now on medications for it so just having seizures apparently doesn't necessarily mean imminent illness.

Fingers crossed that your girl's seizures can be treated with meds, too.

BabyDahl
09-02-2011, 02:54 PM
:hug: Sending P&PT for your puppy and sorry that this happened.

My mom and dad's Doberman (3 y/o) had a seizure several months ago. The vet suspected the rawhide bone they had given him the night before. The vet asked my mom to check if the bone was made in China, but she had thrown away the packaging. Now they're very careful with what they give him (as far as toys and bones go) and he has not had another seizure. For those first few days after, they used our video baby monitor to keep an eye on him (DD wasn't born yet).

jse107
09-02-2011, 03:02 PM
We had this issue with our lab last year (he was also 9). Same thing--blood work looked fine, no other issues. It seemed to be a one-time thing and he hasn't had one since.

TwinFoxes
09-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm a big dog lover, I'm happy to spare some P&PT for your buddy. :hug:

kdeunc
09-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Sending P&PT for your doggy. I know 3 dogs personally that had seizures. 2 of the 3 are Choc. Labs. I think that it is predisposition in the breed but I am not sure. All were medicated and live perfectly normal lives!

MaiseyDog
09-02-2011, 04:33 PM
We had this issue with our lab last year (he was also 9). Same thing--blood work looked fine, no other issues. It seemed to be a one-time thing and he hasn't had one since.

I am praying so very hard that this is how it turns out for us as well. She goes back to the vet next week for more blood work and further testing just to make sure it's not something else causing it. It's just so hard because there's not a lot you can really do to figure it out- the brain is a difficult thing to spy into. The vet did mention that if everything keeps coming back normal we could send her to the vet school for a MRI, but I'm just not sure that I could convince DH that that was a good use of our funds.

mackmama
09-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Oh I'm so sorry - and I'm sending huge hugs and good vibes your way and to your sweet dog. Please keep us posted.

Jo..
09-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Prayers for your dog. :(

Seizures scare the crap out of me. I worked as a vet assistant to put myself through college, and was trained in pet CPR, have seen dogs in all types of distress and stages of illness, etc., but when it's YOUR dog, you FREAK OUT.

My beloved dog Frodo had a seizure in 2005. He stopped breathing and his neck looked like it was broken. I panicked so severely that I tried to give him CPR and simply blew at his face while screaming my head off. We drove at 90 MPH to the emergency vet.

I know how scared you must have been. HUGE hugs, and I hope it's nothing serious.

ThreeofUs
09-02-2011, 05:57 PM
I'd be so worried, too. Sending P&PT to you all.

infomama
09-02-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm sending you PT. Our oldest Boxer is going through some issues right now and it's so hard....we are keeping our chins up, taking it day by day and float around on clouds when she has good days.

We still call her 'little puppy' so hopefully she's thinking young healthy thoughts. ;)

jacksmomtobe
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog's seizure. Me and my 10 yr old black lab are sending our mojo and prayers your way. My DH jokes that I love our dog more than him (if he only knew it were true). She had some fatty tumors last year and turned out ok but now I make sure to take the extra time to appreciate her. I hope they find the cause of your dog's seizures so you don't have to keep wondering/worrying and they can find a way to help prevent future ones. Hope your dog is in good health soon.

jgenie
09-02-2011, 10:04 PM
P & PT for you and your dog. Hope you get answers soon. :hug:

MamaMolly
09-02-2011, 10:40 PM
P & PT for your pup. I hope it was just a fluke.