PDA

View Full Version : Dry Pancake Mix?

PunkyBoo
09-02-2011, 04:40 PM
I found a recipe for pancakes where you make the dry ingredients and store it. Then when you want to make pancakes, you measure out a cup and add milk and an egg to make pancakes. I love it! But the recipe I found was a little white-flour heavy for me and DH said it was a bit too sweet for him. We like good, wheat-y pancakes. Anyone have a recipe like this for wheat pancake mix? Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
09-02-2011, 04:57 PM
You could try Alton Brown's from Good Eats.

Beth

MommyAllison
09-02-2011, 06:02 PM
This one has oatmeal and is about 60/40 WW/white flour. http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2009/09/oatmeal-pancake-mix.html

Jen841
09-06-2011, 08:37 PM
We love this!

Multigrain Buttermilk Batch Pancake and Waffle Mix

Take the trouble to track down the more unusual ingredients: malt powder, corn flour. The result is a perfectly balanced pancake and waffle mix that a Vermont Bed and Breakfast would be proud to serve. Makes approx. 5 lbs.

8 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 cups Hodgson Mill White Wholewheat flour or Five Roses Wholewheat Flour (Whole Foods or regular grocery)
1 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup Hodgson Mill corn flour
1/2 cup cornmeal, preferably stone ground (regular grocery)
1/2 cup ground oatmeal (I used good old Quaker Oats and put it in the food processer to make it "ground")
2 cups Saco buttermilk powder (Baking Aisle)
5 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons baking soda
1/4 cup vanilla powder (see below) - $8.99 for a bottle at Whole Foods, so I decided to do the route mentioned below 1 1/4 cups sugar 3 tablespoons salt 2 tablespoons malt powder (optional)

In a very large bowl, using a strong wire whisk, blend all purpose flour, buckwheat, corn, white whole wheat flour, cornmeal, ground oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, malt, vanilla powder, sugar, salt and malt. Package in required amounts (.e.g 4-6 cups pancake mix)

To make pancakes:

1 cup Homemade Gourmet Pancake & Waffle Mix

1/2 - 2/3 cup water

1 egg

2 tablespoons vegetable oil or unsalted melted butter (optional)

Stir pancake mix with water, egg and vegetable oil or butter. Add more water, if necessary, to make a soft pourable batter. If using as waffle batter, double recipe and follow manufacturer's directions. Make pancakes in usual fashion. Note: cast iron makes for the best pancakes - they cook up hotter and lighter.

Notes on pancake mix:

You may, for a more convenient mix, cut in 1 1/2 cups shortening (12 ounces) into the dry mix. Omit oil when reconstituting. You can use solid butter in the dry mix (same amount as shortening) but then the mix must be frozen.

If not using dry vanilla or vanilla powder, add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla when reconstituting. Artificial white vanilla powder is available from baking supply shops, imported food stores (in small envelopes, usually from Italy or Germany), or in the kosher section of food markets (Haddar, Lieber brands). You may use dry vanilla in any mix if you prefer to have one less item to add when reconstituting. Substitute one to one (1 teaspoon for 1 teaspoon).