PDA

View Full Version : s/0 buying milk at school

KathyN115
09-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I just found out that to purchase milk at DD's school is $1.00 each day. I feel that is a lot, but we are just starting kindy so don't have much experience. What do you think? I am leaning toward sending it in.

Canna
09-02-2011, 05:39 PM
That sounds very expensive. Milk at DD's elementary school is 40 cents.

hoodlims
09-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Overpriced! I teach school and I think the entire lunch is generally around $2-$3. School lunches are partially subsidized and considering you can get an entire gallon for $3, $1 a pint is a ton!

JBaxter
09-02-2011, 05:43 PM
I paid 11 something for the last box of 18 costco brand organic chocolate milks I bought.

bubbaray
09-02-2011, 05:43 PM
I would just send water. My DD#1 has never taken milk to school, just water. She isn't super-fond of milk, though.

Canna
09-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I would just send water. My DD#1 has never taken milk to school, just water. She isn't super-fond of milk, though.

Yes, I do this often. I highly suspect she doesn't actually drink the milk when she does buy it. When I visited for lunch last year, she never even opened the milk and was about to throw it out when lunch was over. I ended up consuming it myself. DD is picky about milk too and in kids' meals or restaurants it often goes unfinished.

kedss
09-02-2011, 06:00 PM
30 cents at our last school each day-

alien_host
09-02-2011, 06:05 PM

:yeahthat:

Although DD likes milk, I just have her drink it at breakfast and dinner so I just send water. I would let her buy it, but the time it takes them to get in line and make the purchase would seriously cut into the time it gives her to eat her food. As is she complains she doesn't have enough time to eat (and therefore her lunch is 80% uneaten).

AnnieW625
09-02-2011, 06:15 PM
I would just send water for that price. DD1's school you can buy 24 milk tickets for $14 through their hot lunch service so that works out to being .58 per carton, which is a tiny bit less than buying the organic chocolate milk boxes at Costco. DD1 however prefers soy milk to cows milk and they don't have that option but for ease of things if they sold soy milk tickets to for no more than .80 I'd probably buy them because it's easier and cheaper than finding plain or vanilla soy boxes. Now if DD1 comes home next week, and says she wants cow milk for lunch (which she has drank at daycare) I'll most likely just buy the milk coupons.