PDA

View Full Version : Does your non-SN child mimic your SN child's behavior?

HIU8
09-02-2011, 09:49 PM
If so, how do you handle it?

DS is 6.5 and has adhd (combo type). Lately, my 4 yr old, who is trying to assert herself, is mimicking DS's behaviors pretty much across the board. I honestly do not know how to approach this. Anyone BTDT? What did you do?

Also, it is causing DS to be more aggressive towards DD. We have hitting, kicking, biting, pinching and hair pulling going on. I am no longer able to take them out anywhere (they do this in public and often knock random people over). they do this in the car and I have to pull over (often).

DS does not act out in any way at school. This is only at home where he literally turns into a crazed maniac towards his sister and generally acts hyper.

Pepper
01-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Heather, how are your kids doing with this? Our DS2 is 2-3/4 and he has been exhibiting a lot of SN-DS1's behaviors lately. DS1 has greatly improved in aggression overall, except where DS2 is concerned. Not as extreme as what you described (we do still go out in public) but still way more than would be considered "normal."

As for DS2, he is very verbal so most of what he does is repeat language that DS1 uses. I tell them both that it's not acceptable...so I guess I'm really using the same approach to DS2 that we use with DS1, excpet that I know DS2 is just copying so I'm not as concerned somehow. Does that make any sense?

HIU8
01-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Actually it's gotten better. DD gets more time alone with DH or I and it's made her behavior better. Also, DD, although she is only 4 1/2, comprehends things more like an older child. She now gets that she needs to walk away from DS instead of stay for the fight. This actually helps us to get DS calmed down. Plus, now that DS is on meds that has helped A LOT.