PDA

View Full Version : Strange odor on freshly dried clothes

LD92599
09-02-2011, 10:02 PM
The last load to dry (all ds2's stuff to boot!) smells like....kerosene? Some type of chemical. What the heck....definitely not something that was in the load itself. I will rewash on monday. Can i add vinegar to try to get rid of it? If so, at what point in the cycle? But what caused the odor?

SnuggleBuggles
09-02-2011, 10:13 PM
OMG!! (I never say that but it's totally appropriate here!!) My last load smelled like that too! No idea why! I rewashed 3 times on warm with detergent and oxi clean. It's ok now. I have no idea what caused it as my next few loads were ok. I wondered if something was in a pocket of spilled on an item in that first load. So weird!

Beth

reneed
09-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Have you painted anywhere in the house lately or used any kind of chemical? My gas dryer does that when we paint, I'm not sure why though.

SnuggleBuggles
09-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Have you painted anywhere in the house lately or used any kind of chemical? My gas dryer does that when we paint, I'm not sure why though.

That was what we wondered at first. Dh was staining furniture down in the basement/ laundry area. I was painting upstairs. But, I still can't figure out how those go together but maybe???
Beth

LD92599
09-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Well.....our new hardwood floors were stained yesterday! I thought of that too..i didn't have time last night to rewash, so as soon as we get home Monday that's the first thing i'm doing.

jerigirl
09-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Yes. They do. The vapors in the air somehow mix in the dryer. Happened even in our toaster oven. I went crazy trying to figure it out when we had hardwoods installed.

amldaley
09-03-2011, 05:10 PM
If you are ging to rewash with vinegar...

I use a Downy Ball and fill too the "medium" line with white vinegar. Otherwise, you have to add it in the rinse cycle.

hellokitty
09-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Did you buy a new article of clothing? One time I bought a coat for DH from old navy and it had a kerosene smell to it. Even after I washed it, it still stank.

LD92599
09-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Did you buy a new article of clothing? One time I bought a coat for DH from old navy and it had a kerosene smell to it. Even after I washed it, it still stank.

No, it must be related to the floors. I'd done the washer in the am and after work put it in the dryer. Terefore it sat in the washer for 8 hours. Meanehile the load that sat in the dryer for the 8 hours, dry....is perfectly normal.