PDA

View Full Version : We are loosing all of our trees!

lhafer
09-02-2011, 10:10 PM
http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/09-01-11-more-than-66-million-trees-expected-to-die-in-the-houston-area-city-canopy-will-never-look-the-same/

Houston actually has a lot of trees. The northern part of Houston is part of the Piney Forest of East Texas. But since this awful drought we are loosing TONS of trees. And there's not much we can do to stop it. It's heartbreaking. :crying:

In 2009, Hurricane Ike stressed the trees out, and knocked a bunch down. Now there's the drought which is further stressing them out, and killing them by the thousands. Plus there are pine beetles which are attacking the pine trees. So the drought is killing our beautiful Oaks and the beetles are killing our Pines. So awful.

Seitvonzu
09-02-2011, 11:44 PM
that is totally heartbreaking...i grew up outside of houston. i *heart* the piney woods!!!!

Gracemom
09-03-2011, 08:24 AM
This makes me so sad too. I lived in Houston for 11 years, and the trees are the most beautiful thing about the city!

Jo..
09-03-2011, 10:00 AM
This makes me cry. I am the Lorax.

Oklahoma is not doing well either. After months and months of drought and temps in the 105-115 range, trees are dying or going into early dormancy.

I personally lost 12 evergreens that I planted three years ago when I was HUGELY pregnant with Leah, three apple trees, most of my blueberry bushes. The sight of my baren garden and my dead trees makes me want to give up. I love everything about OK...the COL, the people, the lack of traffic, the schools...but the weather is just THE PITS. :(

I watered deeply 3x per week, but with the heat, it just wasn't enough. It's enough to break my gardener heart and make me want to move.

katydid1971
09-03-2011, 12:45 PM
The bark beetle has done real damage to the trees on the mountains around where I grew up and my parents still live. Growing up the mountains were covered in beautiful green trees now they are full of dead orange tree and my parents live in fear that a lightning strike will light them all on fire. I feel your pain. Global warming is real and causing real damage in our daily lives.

marie
09-03-2011, 02:17 PM
My brother who lives in TX called me Sunday to see how Irene was treating us. Oh the irony when he said "I gotta go and move my hoses around."

If I could have sent the water down to you, I would have. So much destruction on both ends of the spectrum. :hug:

Snow mom
09-03-2011, 02:34 PM
If I could have sent the water down to you, I would have. So much destruction on both ends of the spectrum. :hug:

Yes, you know it's terrible when you are hoping the hurricane will swing your way with the water. Of course I live far enough inland that torrential rain is all we would have really gotten. I can't remember when we last got rain--maybe early July for 10 minutes. We've been watering like crazy and I think we are going to lose one large tree but I'm hoping all the rest will make it. Of course it's also sad to lose trees that belong to neighbors but make our neighborhood a nicer place.

JamiMac
09-03-2011, 02:59 PM
This makes me cry. I am the Lorax.

Oklahoma is not doing well either. After months and months of drought and temps in the 105-115 range, trees are dying or going into early dormancy.
:(

I watered deeply 3x per week, but with the heat, it just wasn't enough. It's enough to break my gardener heart and make me want to move.

This was a pretty freakishly hot summer for Oklahoma, though. Don't give up hope yet. :)