PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a playset!

elbenn
09-03-2011, 05:30 PM
After looking at almost every swingset online costing between $800 and $2000, I have narrowed down playsets to these two, but I like things about both of them. The price difference between the two (buying at stores that offer the best prices) will be about $300, with the Big Skye being about $300 more.

Big Skye Playset:

I like that this has two slides and a double level fort which seem like fun features. I don't think the wood color of this swingset is quite as attractive as the other one.

http://www.outdoorlivingshowroom.com/general/gorilla-playsets-01-0007-skye-playing-swing-set_g395649.html?linkloc=searchProductItemsName

Riverview Playset:

I think this one has a nicer look to it, with the fort being more like a playhouse and more enclosed. I also like the picnic table under the fort. The fort is the same size as the other playset's fort (not including the double level fort).

http://www.outdoorlivingshowroom.com/general/gorilla-playsets-01-0009-blue-ridge-riverview-play-play-swing-set_g716912.html?linkloc=searchProductItemsName

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

chozen
09-03-2011, 06:05 PM
i like the first one it just looks like it would be more fun. not sure if the color is accurate, sometimes online the color varies, also i don't think our lo would use the picnic table under the playset.

Jo..
09-03-2011, 06:53 PM
#1 looks like more fun, but it mentions stained and sealed wood and doesn't specify the type anywhere that I can see. I suspect it's pine, in which case you will most likely wind up re-staining the set in 2-4 years anyway, so the color preference is moot.

#2 is cedar. Based on that I'd buy #2.

I got a large inexpensive playset from Sam's club 3.5 years ago that we are VERY happy with, however, I did spend $150 and a couple of weeks this spring staining it (I used an excellent stain/sealer, so hopefiully now it will last the life of the set, or until my kids are teens and are sick of it).

ETA I just Googled and *most* Gorilla sets are made out of Cedar, but I still didn't see any specific info on the model you like.

lhafer
09-03-2011, 07:08 PM
When I was looking at swing sets, I would have purchased #2 if it would have fit in my yard!! Love it!

In my experience, just because a swing set might add more features - doesn't mean it will get played with more. Do you anticipate this being a big neighborhood hit with tons of kids? If not, I don't think 2 slides are necessary.

I love #2, plus it's cedar. And I love Gorilla swing sets. They are great! If you haven't yet - you can go to Gorilla's website and read up all about each of their sets. http://www.gorillaplaysets.com/Swing-Sets-s/31.htm

WatchingThemGrow
09-03-2011, 10:17 PM
The first one does have a picnic table also. A woman is sitting at it. We would use ours so much more (for lunch!) if it had 2 sides. Ours showed 2 sides, but it was really only on the bigger set.

I thing the 1st one looks amazing, but if I put it in the yard and neighbors could see/comment on it, I'd feel a little weird. It's pretty outrageous.

elbenn
09-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about it looking outrageous. Except for the second slide, it's pretty standard to every other swingset I looked at--fort, slide, 3 swings, rockwall. We are definitely not over the top types, so I wouldn't want anything too outrageous. However, it costs $2000 which is the same as most other gorilla playsets, and less than most rainbow sets, so maybe it wouldn't look as big in person? Totally wish I could see these in person!

lhafer
09-05-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't think the first one is outrageous. Just a little overkill unless you will have 5+ kids playing on it all the time. It's quite a bit larger than #2.

JTsMom
09-05-2011, 11:19 AM
I love the first one! I think an open fort is kind of nice, but I might be biased b/c it gets so insanely hot here. I think the first one will appeal to older kids too.

lil_acorn
09-05-2011, 11:26 AM
I like # 1 as I think there is more longevity to it with older kids.

ha98ed14
09-05-2011, 01:02 PM
I think the first one looks like it will get more years of play on it. The second one looks more babyish. Not sure how old your DC are or how many you have, the the first one looks like it will accommodate a larger number of children at any one time and stay interesting to kids into their older years. If I was going to spend upwards of $2K for a swingset, I spend the extra thou to get something that looks good to an 11 or 12 year old.

waitingforgrace
09-05-2011, 03:24 PM
I'd get #1. The more closed fort on 2 would be a deal breaker both from a heat aspect and wasp nesting for us.