PDA

View Full Version : Foster parenting/adoption book recommendations?

JoyNChrist
09-03-2011, 08:53 PM
DH and I think that at some point in the future, we would like to expand our family. For a variety of reasons, we don't plan to have more biological children. We have been talking more and more about becoming foster parents or pursuing adoption at some point.

Now this is very much an "in the future" idea. Depending on how things work out for me education/career-wise, it could be as many as 6 years before we're ready to pursue anything. At least 2 or 3 years, since the twins are still quite young. I'm just thinking right now, and would like to do some reading to explore our options.

Does anybody have any recommendations for me?

Gracemom
09-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Do you know any foster parents? I would start there, just getting to know them and asking questions about their life. My DS goes to school with some foster kids, and their foster mom is just amazing! She takes mostly short term kids, but a few have ended up staying forever - she adopted them. I think it takes a special person to be a foster mom. Agencies also have information meetings. You could go to one and get a feel for what it would be like. Would you do short term foster care or only foster to adopt? Sorry I don't have any books to recommend. I think it's awesome you are considering it, especially since your babies are still so young!

Melaine
09-04-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm glad you started this thread. I still really have it in my heart to adopt (I'm not sure I could handle fostering). It would still be a few years for us too though. I'm super impressed that you are even able to think about this with the twins still so little....you are awesome!

crl
09-04-2011, 08:46 AM
I like the Adoptive Families magazine. it gives good information in smaller chunks, plus book reviews so you could eventually use those to choose books to read.

Catherine

sadie427
09-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Adoption magazines and blogs would be a good idea. I don't know that I'd get too specific in my research if it may not be for years as quite a lot can change in that time (e.g. the program we used to adopt DS2 is closed now.)

JustMe
09-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Things change so muchand so quickly in this realm that reading things this far in advance can be confusing and pointless sometimes. I agree with the pp who mentioned talking with people who you know, and I can also pm you some forums to "hang out on" if you are interested. Let me know.

MmeSunny
09-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I would strongly suggest listening to the Foster Parenting Podcast and the Creating a Family podcast. They were both a tremendous support to me as I was going through the foster/adopt process.