PDA

View Full Version : ISO Deluxe or handmade Thomas costume

jgenie
09-05-2011, 03:58 AM
ETA: Bumping this..

I've seen pics of train costumes made out of boxes and although they are cute they will be too cumbersome for DS1 at preschool. I'm thinking of dressing DS1 and DS2 in sweat suits that match a couple of the trains and making a train face for the front of the sweatshirt. Do you think that would be too plain? Any ideas for a simple hat I could add that would add to the costume? TIA

I'm looking for a Thomas and Percy costume for DC for this year. I'm not thrilled with the options (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_top?ie=UTF8&keywords=thomas%20the%20tank%20costume&index=blended&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001P2OEEK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JDR0Z6M56NYWDVM23TX) I've seen online and realistically don't have time to make them myself. Anyone seen something different or have a favorite Etsy seller that might be able to make a costume for me? I really miss having the alchemy option on Etsy. TIA

♥ms.pacman♥
09-10-2011, 09:03 AM
bumping this thread bc i am looking for sort of the same thing. want to get Thomas costume for my DS for Halloween, but not a fan of the one online either (reviews say it's too long for younger toddlers and may cause them to trip). I don't have a sewing machine and even if i did, i don't have the time to make one.

I searched etsy but couldn't find any costumes, just Tshirts...

mousemom
09-10-2011, 04:44 PM
bumping this thread bc i am looking for sort of the same thing. want to get Thomas costume for my DS for Halloween, but not a fan of the one online either (reviews say it's too long for younger toddlers and may cause them to trip). I don't have a sewing machine and even if i did, i don't have the time to make one.

I searched etsy but couldn't find any costumes, just Tshirts...

We have that Thomas costume, which was a hand me down from relatives. It was too long for DS last year, but we just pinned it up/put in a few stitches in two spots so that he wouldn't trip over it. Didn't matter anyway b/c DS wanted nothing to do with costumes of any sort, but it was easy to temporarily shorten.

Kaylee31
09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
I was wondering this myself. DS is obsessed with Thomas and trains, but the costume choices are really disappointing. The slip-on one seems bulky & uncomfortable. I've seen a couple of bodysuit-type Thomas costumes on Ebay, but they have gotten a ton of bids. Has anyone seen any other options?

ciw
09-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I think the price on this is outrageous but it's cute:
http://www.costumeexpress.com/Plush-Ride-In-Train-Child-Costume/801466/ProductDetail.aspx

I had thought about making something similar. I bought these overalls http://www.target.com/p/Genuine-Kids-from-OshKosh-153-Infant-Toddler-Boys-Striped-Overall-Pant-Denim/-/A-13655735 at Target (they're in the B&M stores on clearance now for $8.xx) and thought I could make the Thomas train part out of a cardboard box. But DS has decided he's happy wearing a monkey costume I found at an EOS for $5 so I'm very happy not to have to make a costume!

hellokitty
09-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Thomas is so over-done. IMO, just suck it up and get the generic costume. If you want him to look, "different" dress him up as a train engineer instead of one of the trains. DS2 has one of the stupid looking thomas costumes (looks like he's wearing a thomas sign), my DH hates it, but the kids absolutely love it, lol. I know DS3 will want to wear it too. I try not to let what I think about the costume influence me too much. It's what the kids like and it's a costume, something that will be tossed aside, maybe worn a few more times for play or given to a younger sib. I wouldn't want to spend $$ getting a custom costume, when thomas ones are readily available at target and walmart.

jgenie
09-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Bumping this..

I've seen pics of train costumes made out of boxes and although they are cute they will be too cumbersome for DS1 at preschool. I'm thinking of dressing DS1 and DS2 in sweat suits that match a couple of the trains and making a train face for the front of the sweatshirt. Do you think that would be too plain? Any ideas for a simple hat I could add that would add to the costume? TIA

justlearning
09-17-2011, 11:35 PM
FWIW, my sons got a lot of use out of this Thomas costume: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Tank-Engine-Classic-Costume/dp/B000P0O02Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316316710&sr=8-1

That's expensive there, though--IIRC I paid $10 or less at Kohls.

DS1 used it for 3 years (ages 3-5) and then DS2 used it for 2 years (ages 3-4). I have lots of pictures of them looking very cute in that costume!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-17-2011, 11:39 PM
i think that idea sounds really cute. i too think the costumes made out of boxes look awesome but would be too cumbersome for my DS to walk around in... i think he'd have to be a little older.

anyway, i came across this...which i thought was a nice twist (wagon decked out as Thomas, kid as Sir Topham Hatt).
http://idmommy.blogspot.com/2010/10/diy-thomas-tank-engine-sir-topham-hatt.html

i think it's a cute idea, though these days i wouldn't have time nor the ability to make something that craft-intensive, and we don't have a wagon (DD is still too young to sit up/ ride in one)

i think your idea jgenie sound pretty good..i think i may do something like that if we decide to do a Thomas family costume (DS asThomas, DH as Sir Topham Hatt and my DD as Rosie or something). for babies i tend to like the more simple, lightweight costumes so i think maybe a sweatshirt with the train face on the shirt might suffice especially for my DD..

eta: justlearning - wow, i should check out my Kohl's. i saw that the costume was $26 on amazon and even on my CL people are asking for $15 used. i just got a Kohls $10 GC and i was wondering what i could use it for (i don't normally shop there) but now i am going to definitely check it out and see if they have that costume. for a few bucks it's worth trying it out on my DS..

hellokitty
09-18-2011, 08:28 AM
FWIW, my sons got a lot of use out of this Thomas costume: [url]

That's expensive there, though--IIRC I paid $10 or less at Kohls.

DS1 used it for 3 years (ages 3-5) and then DS2 used it for 2 years (ages 3-4). I have lots of pictures of them looking very cute in that costume!

Lol, that is the costume that we have that my dh can't stand. However the kids love it. I got mine on yr @ target on clearance for less than $10.