PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Pull Ups

stinkyfeet
09-05-2011, 09:22 AM
DS1(2.5 yrs old) started jr preschool last week. They require that the kids where Pull Ups. This was a shock to many parents in the class since many of the kids are still in diapers (it's a class for 2 year olds).

DS1 will be going to school 3 mornings a week. Are you supposed switch over to pull ups 100%? Would it confuse DS to wear pull ups to school and diapers at home?

Thanks for any imput! :waving4:

mommylamb
09-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Honestly, I think pull ups are a waste of money. DS never thought of them as different from diapers at all. They're just more expensive. He potty trained when he was ready to PT, and went into underpants at that time. Pull ups never helped us.

catsnkid
09-05-2011, 09:53 AM
IMHO they are diapers that are easy for kids to pull down themselves.. Not sure what the difference is with the new Huggies slip on dipes! havent' seen them yet. We use them sometimes. DS can use the potty but doesn't tell us when he has to go.. He is in trainers at school, pull ups at grammas and diapers lately..

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I guess they are expecting the kids to be potty trained?? I despise that rule hence avoid schools with it. :) We do use Pull Ups at night time and ds2 likes them during the day even though he is PT'ed with no accidents. No idea why he likes them vs undies; maybe just security in case he has an accident? But, they are fine but the price is too high, imo, for regular use. I guess that 3 times/ week it's ok to just comply. I'd be more interested in the logic. None of my boys preschools recommend Pull Ups for potty training by saying they send mixed messages.

Beth

elbenn
09-05-2011, 10:40 AM
I think that they might not expect them to be potty trained, but they want to be able to work on potty training and they need pullups to be able to do that. I would just ask his teachers what his progress is, and if he's actively working on potty training in his class, then I would leave him in pullups at home.

AnnieW625
09-05-2011, 01:38 PM
I bet that the school requires the pull ups because if they do have to change a diaper it's easier than changing a diaper. I would just get the generic from Target (or Wal Mart, etc.). We used those a few times and they worked fine.

Honestly, I think pull ups are a waste of money. DS never thought of them as different from diapers at all. They're just more expensive. He potty trained when he was ready to PT, and went into underpants at that time. Pull ups never helped us.

:yeahthat: We started DD1 in pull ups at 2/1/2 but they were just like diapers so I had her in diapers until she was potty trained at 3 yrs. 1 mos. . Once she was trained I did use Pampers Easy Ups for night time use and for the first month or so that she was trained when we were out and about (although most of the time she'd tell me when she had to be and the pull up would be dry) or in the car for more than 2 hrs.

stinkyfeet
09-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the info! We signed DS1 up at the school bc the didn't require the 2 year olds to be potty trained.

We were just a little shocked that they wanted the kids to wear Pull-Ups--they said that it was bc there was no diaper changing station in the classroom. I just thought it would make it harder for them to change them when they poop in their pull-ups.

chozen
09-05-2011, 09:44 PM

same here, we stopped using them real quick she would wait until i put one on and then go potty in them. she used them like a diaper.

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Since the sides rip off, the actual poopy diaper change would be ok but pull ups are such a pain to put back on! YOu have to take off shoes (unless you really want to wriggle the pull up around them) plus bottoms. Diapers are so much easier. Makes little sense to me. Ah well.

Beth

mommytoC
09-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Since the sides rip off, the actual poopy diaper change would be ok but pull ups are such a pain to put back on! YOu have to take off shoes (unless you really want to wriggle the pull up around them) plus bottoms. Diapers are so much easier. Makes little sense to me. Ah well.

Beth

We use Huggies, which have velcro sides. I'd definitely recommend these (pull-ups with velcro sides) to avoid what Beth is describing :). DD#2's daycare doesn't require pull-ups for the 2-3.5 year old class, but definitely prefers them. She's 28m, and making good progress at PT, thanks to "school"!

I buy them from Amazon.com with Amazon Mom, so they're a little more reasonably priced.

Re: switching between diapers and pull-ups, we've done this to use up our diaper "stash", and it hasn't bothered DD#2 one bit. (She actually prefers the Mickey Mouse design on her Huggies diapers to the princesses on her pull-ups.)