PDA

View Full Version : If you take your elementary aged kid out of school for vacation

Octobermommy
09-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Is it excused or unexcused? Does it depend on whether it is "educational" or not? Are your kids allowed to make up work, do it before vacation or do they just get zeros for that week.

crl
09-05-2011, 02:18 PM
We took ds out for two days to go to WDW with family last year Thanksgiving week. They don't get grades per se in first at our school. So there was no issue of zeros or whatever. He missed an assessment test and it was not made up--just showed as not present. No big deal. He was expected to do the homework, but not anything extra. I have no idea whether the school considered it excused or not. I told them what we were doing and no one complained or gave us any grief.

Catherine

egoldber
09-05-2011, 02:28 PM
I believe they are considered unexcused, but I never really asked. :)

We took her out in second and third grades. In our district, they don't get letter grades until 4th grade. She had to make up homework and turn in a project early, but that was it.

In 4th grade, we only took her out for one day and I was surprised that in addition to homework, they wanted her to make up all in class work. That's a whole different ballgame! We are taking her out this year (5th grade) for 4 days and honestly I am dreading it a little. It was a trip planned almost a year ago, but I am more reluctant to do it now. But for a kid in K-3, I wouldn't have any qualms.

In the past, I have sent the teacher an e-mail about 3 weeks in advance, letting them know that she would be absent those days for a "planned family trip". I offer to have her do make up work in advance or after the fact, whichever is the teacher's preference.

scrooks
09-05-2011, 02:29 PM
I think that is something that varies widely school district to school district.

wendmatt
09-05-2011, 02:55 PM
We have taken DD out a day early for spring break for 2 years and it counted as unexcused, but anything without a drs note is considered unexcused I think.

JBaxter
09-05-2011, 02:57 PM
they allow up to 3 days here but they are all unexcused

Toba
09-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Our large school district has only two excused days during the entire year .... one of them is Take Your Child to Work Day and, I believe, a Jewish holiday. That's it. They only allow you 20 days of unexcused absences and even a doctor's note will not excuse the absence (but if you go over the 20 days, they take doctor's notes into consideration). DS was out over 20 days last year (something like 28 days) but almost all of that was backed up with a doctor's note (he was sick SO much last year), so they didn't hold him back (I would have been furious). This is all from the principal herself. The district also doesn't give out grades for grade school (K-5), only Outstanding, Satisfactory, and Needs Improvement. There are a lot of rumors that the teachers aren't allowed to give Os for core curriculum. Only gym, music, art, ect., can get Os. DS got an O+ for gym each marking period.

ha98ed14
09-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Unexcused here. And in CA, the school loses money from the state for each child that is absent.

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2011, 05:47 PM
I assumed unexcused. I didn't ask. I don't imagine our beach trip was excused though! Nor our trip to NYC!

Beth

Jen841
09-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't think it really matters unless it is excessive.

Our school policy is you don't get your missed work until you return, planned/unplanned/excused/unexcused.

Octobermommy
09-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Just checking what was the norm. I hate for her to get zeros but i don't think your secOnd grade transcripts follow you to college.