PDA

View Full Version : Experience with computerized math instruction esp M Cubed or Pangea esp in Fairfax?

american_mama
09-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Does anyone have experience with computerized math instructions, especially two programs/curriculums called M Cubed (M to the 3rd power) and Pangea? One or both are used in the gifted and talented centers in Fairfax County. These were options my DD1's school offered to us because she is a grade ahead in math. A third option, less familiar, was a Johns Hopkins gifted and talent math program for elementary students, which I think is also computerized. She's in the last grade at her school, so there is no older class to put her in. The non-computerized option is busing her to the school with 5th grade for math.

If you know anything about any of these computer programs, can you tell me about it? Our district math team gave me brief descriptions of the M Cubed and Pangea, but the programs blend together in my mind. I am interested in whether a computerized program would allow a student to go above and beyond what a classroom would, due to the ability to work at your own pace, target instruction, depth of material possible with computers, and, lastly, build off of children's natural fascination with computers.

But I also wonder how good was the computerized instruction and what in-person instruction was given to supplement your child, if they used it? I understand there is something like different skill levels within the program that a child can strive for (practitioner vs. expert mathematician, for instance) which is supposed to motivate a child to seek the highest level. I also understand that one of the programs has a competitive element that is also motivational, so a child can interact with a wider network of math peers than just those in his or her classroom. How does that work? If your child used it, was it implemented in a group/class setting or was it used by just one child?

Any help or input would be appreciated, as would suggestions of what details to ask about the computer instruction. I really don't have a clear picture of how they would implement that. We have to decide soon, because if we chose the busing option, she'll have missed almost three weeks of class by the time that is in place.

egoldber
09-05-2011, 03:36 PM
They have used M3 in older DD's math classes (GT center) in FCPS, but not computerized. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with what I saw of the paper materials. I call it "math designed by English majors" :o Lots of open ended questions and problems (which is good) but poorly designed and didn't always make the most logical sense (which is bad). She was often frustrated with the imprecision of the questions and their logical inconsistencies. There were sometimes questions that I really didn't understand what they were trying to ask.

If I had the option, I would jump at the use of the Johns Hopkins CTY materials. They are supposed to be very good. The only complaints that I typically hear are about the cost, and I am assuming the materials would be free to you. FWIW, I would love it if older DD could be in her current school but allowed to use CTY materials to work ahead. Are you being offered the CTY materials with the on-line instructor?

I've never heard of Pangea.

american_mama
09-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't know what I'm being offered with the Johns Hopkins materials. The district gifted coordinator said midway through option 1 and 2 that she'd thought of an option 3, the Johns Hopkins thing, but said about two sentences about it. If it's expensive, I suppose there's a chance she spoke too soon and it wouldn't be approved. It was past 4 pm on the Friday before Labor Day and people were clearly restless (I was brought into just a small part of a longer meeting), so I didn't ask a lot of questions.

I got the sense that the district math coordinator and our school's gifted teacher were pretty excited about the M3 and Pangea curriculums, which I think is new to them, and sometimes interest from the teachers bodes well for the instruction. DH is leery about the computer instruction, thinks you need the human component. In trying to explain it to him, I realize we really need to talk 1:1 with the math coordinator and learn more.

TwinFoxes
09-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I have no advice, but I had no idea you lived in FFx too! I think we live in the area populated with the most BBBers per square mile!

american_mama
09-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't live in the DC area, although we used to when DH and I were dating. But the gifted coordinator in our school knew the Fairfax centers used it and I know there are a lot of Fairfax people on the boards.

american_mama
09-06-2011, 05:41 PM
bump... FWIW apparently I got the name wrong and one of the curriculums is called Apangea.

MamaKath
09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Haven't heard of the other two (we are in the DC area, but not Fairfax), but the Johns Hopkins program has an excellent reputation. I would look into that one.