PDA

View Full Version : What kind of child's bike seat do you have?

lhafer
09-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I have an old Bell Cocoon child bike seat. I had a crappy bike that it was on, and used it about 4 years ago when my DD1 was younger. THen I got a bike trailer and a new bike. Sold the bike trailer because it's was big and wide and I don't need that much space anymore.

SO I have a new bike that I can put my old Bell cocoon seat on (if it will fit). But what else is there? I have read about the Copilot Limo seats. Are they worth the money?? What about the Copilot Taxi?

Now that it's getting cooler outside I think I will start bike riding 2-4x/week on average. I talk long walks the other days. DD2 is 18 months old, and 21 pounds. She's 50% for height.

What kind of bike seat to you have?

american_mama
09-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Never used a bike seat, despite a lot of trying over the last few months. I bought an unusual seat, tried to install it myself, gave up and bought a more traditional seat (the Limo), and took it to a bike store only to find out my bike won't take a rear-mounted seat. So I'm still stuck in limbo.

But the seats that came up most often in my research were:
I-bert (mounts on handbars, some feel it offers better balance/conversation/child interest/control while riding, others feel it is not a safe place or moutning position. It also has a lower weight limit and is outgrown sooner.)
Co Pilot Taxi
Co Pilot Limo (more expensive than the Taxi, but the major difference is a recline feature/ability to un-mount the seat and use it as kind of a camping chair for breaks when bike riding for a long time, which isn't somehting I would do).
Topeak

I am sure others here can speak to the different options better than me.

lhafer
09-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, those are the names I'm seeing during my research.

I don't feel comfortable with the iBert. I don't like front mounted seats. And this seat will stay on my bike - I won't be switching it out between bikes.

chays
09-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I have a trailer (Chariot) that we LOVE. I think they are so much safer than the seats that go right on the bike.

bubbaray
09-05-2011, 09:50 PM
We tried the Kettler seat and the Topeak and neither fit my DH's bike. We use a bike trailer instead.

sunshine873
09-05-2011, 10:23 PM
We have the ibert & love it. It's very stable to ride with & DD & I can talk to each other along the way.

WatchingThemGrow
09-05-2011, 10:29 PM
We have a Topeak (new, from CL) and a Burley.

LMPC
09-05-2011, 11:19 PM
This has been my dilemma for about 2 months now....bought an iBert and used it on a trip to the OBX....loved it! Bought a new mt bike but despite much ranglin' the darned thing won't fit....and trust me, we tried everything....new stem riser and everything! Bought the topeak seat....wouldn't mount on my bike so we put it on DH's bike. He hated it because he felt it made his bike unstable...I tried it and I agreed. Took topeak back. Looked at trailers and pull behinds (or whatever you call those quasibikes that get towed behind a big bike). REI had the Chariot Cabriolet for $330, and I almost bought it. But in the end I didn't because next year when DD is closer to 4, I want her doing something besides sitting when we are on bike trips KWIM? Don't laugh...okay you can laugh (I did). I ended up buying an inexpensive cruiser off CL so that I can ride with DD and the iBert for the next year...until she gets old enough that I trust her to hold on to a pull behind bike.

Personally, I love the iBert. DD is about 30 lbs and the thing is very stable. Because of where it mounts, it keeps the center of gravity in the middle of the bike. I can remove it very easily (just take the pin out) and ride the bike without DD if I want (the stem stays mounted to the bike and doesn't get in the way). She loves it because we can chat while we ride.

As for my fancy-shmancy new mt bike...I plan on riding it while DD is in preschool this year :P I really love that bike!

lhafer
09-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Well, I won't be getting a bike trailer. I just had one and sold it. It was just okay for me. I sold it for various reasons.

For those that got the iBert, did you look at the WeeRide Kangaroo seat? If so, why didn't you go with it? I like how it fits more snuggly on to the seat instead of up by the handlebars.

http://www.amazon.com/WeeRide-Kangaroo-Child-Bike-Seat/dp/B001DF68MA/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

The other thing I worry about with the iBert type seats is if I drop my bike (it falls over/we fall), there is nothing to protect their head/shoulder area. Versus a seat like the Copilot or my crappy Bell seat that has a casing all around their body.

kristac
09-06-2011, 09:36 AM
DH has a Wee Ride on his bike and loves it.

mrshalco
09-06-2011, 09:40 AM
We have the weeRide kangaroo seat. We've had it since DS1 was about 1 and we are now using it for DS2 who is 2.5 years old. It is on DH's bike. He LOVES it - loves that he can talk to DS while riding, loves that he can see him the whole time, just plain loves it! I do not use it on my bike - because I'm not that strong of a bike rider ;) I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep us upright! Since you already have used a seat on your bike - you will be fine with the weeride!

As far as falling....I think DH believes that he can still be there to protect DS2 if he falls (his arms are around him anyway). I think your instinct will be to protect him first then worry about you! LOL He also wears a helmet and is secured with a 5pt harness.