PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to make first day of school happy/special?

hillview
09-05-2011, 03:59 PM
DS1 (6) is dreading going to school on Wednesday. Any ideas for making the morning special and happy?
TIA
/hillary

jenstring95
09-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Make his favorite breakfast, or pick something up (ie, donuts, kolcahes)? Maybe some extra reading time or tv time? We took our kids out for ice cream right after school, so maybe the promise of something else special in the evening? Good luck!

mytwosons
09-05-2011, 07:11 PM
1st grade? I cut DS's pancakes into a number 1. Shockingly, it was a huge hit.

ETA: Why is he dreading it? Can you go into the school with him to meet his teacher and find his locker? Maybe he is worried about getting settled?

hillview
09-05-2011, 07:17 PM
1st grade? I cut DS's pancakes into a number 1. Shockingly, it was a huge hit.

ETA: Why is he dreading it? Can you go into the school with him to meet his teacher and find his locker? Maybe he is worried about getting settled?

Thanks. Yes we go tomorrow to meet the teachers and see the class room. He has transition issues (or has historically). It is in the same school as his primary classes and he will have some kids from primary class in his new class and he has met the teachers before. He has anxiety issues.

Thanks -- I like the idea of a #1 :) he is in lower elementary (vs 1st grade) so maybe I could do a LE.

mytwosons
09-05-2011, 07:42 PM
ah, BTDT.

IME, it was best to tell him I knew he was anxious but I also knew he was going to handle things well and have a great year. It helped me to think of this as practice for later in life - if he doesn't do well with this transition, it just means he'll do better next time and will have the practice under his belt.

We would talk it through - worst case scenario a la cognitive behavioral therapy. If "x" happens, what would that mean. Not the end of the world.

I think something to look forward to after school is very helpful as well.

Melbel
09-05-2011, 08:28 PM
If you know the class schedule, share it with your DS. Just knowing what happens when helps calm anxiety. Likewise, if you have a class list, be sure to point out any children that he knows and likes.

I like to walk my kids in on their first day of school. We also have a go out for icecream after the first day of school.

Good luck!