PDA

View Full Version : How do you store Grapes?

PMJ
09-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Grape stems and grapes are ALL over myhouse... Dh eats them like they are going out of style, and he dislikes the bags I get from the grocer to keep my fruit drawer clean... So at the end of the week -- I'm having to clean the drawer (if not more frequently) b/c it's all sticky and gross...

Any suggestions on how to store the grapes in my fruit drawer, which will allow him to easily take it out - perhaps put it in a bowl and wash (haha yeah right) and then put the grapes back....? I'm thinking some kind of clean container.

thanks!

elbenn
09-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I don't know if this will fit in a drawer, but I store mine in a colander. I wash them in a colander and then I just leave them in there.

jgenie
09-05-2011, 09:03 PM
When I buy grapes I take them all off the stems and rinse really well then place the washed grapes in a container with a paper towel on the bottom. I have found that if I leave them on the stem in the bag I end up throwing out the whole bag at the end of the week.

crl
09-05-2011, 10:46 PM
If he eats them fast enough, maybe you could wash them and put them in a bowl that sits out on the counter? No mess in the refrigerator and the bowl could go in the dishwasher.

Catherine

kristenk
09-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Not quite the same, but lately I've been washing all of the grapes in the bag off the stem and them putting them in the freezer. I love frozen grapes and it's so handy to have a bag of them in the freezer!

PMJ
09-06-2011, 12:51 AM
When I buy grapes I take them all off the stems and rinse really well then place the washed grapes in a container with a paper towel on the bottom. I have found that if I leave them on the stem in the bag I end up throwing out the whole bag at the end of the week.

If you wash them and put them in fridge, does that not ripen them faster??

Will try this though.

MommyAllison
09-06-2011, 01:00 AM
We keep them in the bag and wash as needed, but they don't last long at all around here. FIL takes them all off the stems, washes and stores in a tupperware in the fridge. Personally, I think they get soft and overripe faster that way, and I love crunchy grapes, so I guess it depends on your preference.

Minnifer
09-06-2011, 08:10 AM
I find they last longer on the stems rather than off. I wash them and keep them in the fridge in a colander w/ a paper towel at the bottom to absorb excess moisture. They usually last almost a week.

TwoBees
09-06-2011, 08:39 AM
I store them in a berry bowl, similar to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-Berry-Bowl-Translucent-Red/dp/B002USB54K
I find they stay fresher that way once washed, and I can eat them right out of the bowl.

hellokitty
09-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I give them a soak with some swishing with produce wash. Rinse and let them dry completely in a colander on the kitchen counter. I find that if they are wet, they will get yucky in the fridge. I then wrap a clean paper towel around them (for condensation) before sticking them in a big ziplock bag (stems still intact). I will change out the paper towel as it gets wet. Freezing them is fun too. I call them, "nature's popsicles." My kids actually get upset if I don't freeze the grapes, but my DH and I prefer them unfrozen.

jerigirl
09-06-2011, 09:45 AM
I don't know if this will fit in a drawer, but I store mine in a colander. I wash them in a colander and then I just leave them in there.
:yeahthat: this is what we do too

jgenie
09-06-2011, 09:08 PM
If you wash them and put them in fridge, does that not ripen them faster??

Will try this though.

I only buy grapes if they're firm and they easily last a week or more washed. GL