PDA

View Full Version : Any Charlotte, nc area moms???

scrooks
09-05-2011, 10:18 PM
I am looking for insight on Charlotte Meck. Schools. We are probably moving next spring and we are researching neighborhood and schools. Some of the school reviews are frightening. I dont want to move anyway.... We have been disappointed in housing options and costs and now it seems like the schools may be an issue too! I am looking for any insight/ experience with CMS ...specifically those in the northeast zone. Thank you!

scrooks
09-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Bumping...

jren
09-06-2011, 07:57 AM
I found this ranking online:

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/October-2010/Top-Public-High-Schools/

It's missing a new school in Union County (Cuthbertson) which would be in line with Weddington and Marvin Ridge High, won awards the first year. Also, there have been cutbacks in both counties this year.

We chose Union County when we moved because of the schools and taxes, but there are some good schools in Meck county. Cost of living near those schools were higher than we wanted to spend at the time. My DH drives almost an hour to work Uptown.

From what we've seen/heard, the best schools tend to be south of Uptown in south Charlotte, Matthews, or the northwest part of Union county (Marvin, Weddington, Wesley Chapel, northern parts of Waxhaw). We didn't do a ton of research north of the city (Huntersville, Lake Norman), so I'm not sure about that area, but North Meck is high on the list above.

kristac
09-06-2011, 08:00 AM
CMS has issues- I won't lie. It's too big and currently they are moving towards "pay for performance" which involves extra testing and has made a lot of parents and teachers unhappy. However the previous superintendent (who was pushing pay for performance) left for a different job over the summer so I'm not sure what direction the new superintendent will head.

That said- there are some great things about CMS. Lots of really great neighborhood schools as well as some great magnet programs. We loved our neighborhood school last year and are loving our magnet (IB) school this year as well. There are also many charter schools in the area and more to open next year.

I have found Charlotte to be a great place to raise my family and I hope you will too. :) If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

ETA-we are in the University area.

Elilly
09-06-2011, 09:54 AM
My brother taught in CMS as part of Teach for America. He is now in admin for CMS. I'll ask him for input and let you know.

scrooks
09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for your responses. In doing our research we have found lots of good elementary schools but it seems the middle school reviews are what troubled us (really me- DH said middle school is a long way off!).
We are just debating about CMS and looking in other counties (Iredell and Cabbarrus).