PDA

View Full Version : Versatile shoes - worn with shorts, long pants, skirts, and dresses

stefani
09-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Is there a pair of shoes that can be worn with shorts, long pants / jeans, skirts, and dresses? When traveling I don't want to bring too many pairs of shoes, but I tend to wear all of the above (casual wear) during my travel.

TIA.

BabbyO
09-05-2011, 11:45 PM
I really like my crocs - patricia style. They are a lot dressier than the standard crocs and dressier than the cleos...but comfy enough to wear most anywhere. These are my go-to shoes when pg. I wear them at work daily.

HTH.

infomama
09-05-2011, 11:50 PM
The only shoes that I can see working are flats or a shoe/sandal with a kitten heel but I'm no fashionista.

Uno-Mom
09-05-2011, 11:58 PM
In cooler months, I wear my Dr Martin boots with everything I own. But my style is a bit funkified, so that approach may not fit you.

This summer, I purchased a pair of Merril flats because I needed a semi-athletic (good traction) pair of closed-toed shoes for work, that still looked professional. Those might work?

mezzona
09-06-2011, 12:36 AM
depending on weather, ballet flats or (thong or gladiator) sandals. but i am very casual.

echoesofspring
09-06-2011, 12:41 AM
mary janes can be worn with just about anything, IMO.

randomkid
09-06-2011, 12:51 AM
When and where are you going? Will it be cold or warm? I live in FL and wear casual (but a little nicer) flat sandals with all those things you mentioned except dresses since I rarely wear a dress. However, the sandals I wear could easily be worn with a dress. I wear them with shorts, capris and jeans.

I have these, but in more of a pewter/bronzey color http://www.famousfootwear.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=18263&pg=1023428

Something like this could work http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10285&skuId=088911120&productId=69882&lotId=088911&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

I have 2 other pair that I wear, but can't find online - they are both flat sandals.

newg
09-06-2011, 10:28 PM
another thread was just talking about MeToo flats......online they look really cute, and something that could easily work with a variety of outfits!
http://www.metooshoes.com/

hellokitty
09-06-2011, 11:02 PM
My born slip on sandals have been one of my only shoes to fit this description. I don't know the name of it, but it's your typical chunkier style heel born leather sandal (no back strap). It looks great with a dress, shorts, pants/jeans. I've traveled with it before, b/c it was the only pr I had to bring with me.

stefani
09-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Thank you for all the replies! I am checking out your recommendations.

One thing I have found is that for lots of walking, wearing socks help a lot. Can I wear walking shoes with socks and shorts / casual skirts?

My feet get "rough" after wearing sandals (and walking a lot)... Don't yours?

stefani
09-08-2011, 12:52 AM
When and where are you going? Will it be cold or warm? I live in FL and wear casual (but a little nicer) flat sandals with all those things you mentioned except dresses since I rarely wear a dress. However, the sandals I wear could easily be worn with a dress. I wear them with shorts, capris and jeans.

I have these, but in more of a pewter/bronzey color http://www.famousfootwear.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=18263&pg=1023428

Something like this could work http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10285&skuId=088911120&productId=69882&lotId=088911&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

I have 2 other pair that I wear, but can't find online - they are both flat sandals.

I am thinking of the tropics, so it will be warm weather.

I like the Bandolino Faylynn, I have to check that out. Thank you.

randomkid
09-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Thank you for all the replies! I am checking out your recommendations.

One thing I have found is that for lots of walking, wearing socks help a lot. Can I wear walking shoes with socks and shorts / casual skirts?

My feet get "rough" after wearing sandals (and walking a lot)... Don't yours?

I don't usually have a problem wearing sandals, but I wouldn't choose them for a lot of walking. If you want to wear walking shoes, I think they would look fine with shorts, but personally I just don't like that look for skirts. However, if your only concern is comfort, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd take two pair of shoes - one walking, one sandal. Have fun!

SnuggleBuggles
09-08-2011, 08:18 AM
My feet don't get tough in sandals. I wear them all summer with no trouble. And even if they did, all the better. I like my feet calloused for walking around barefoot at the pool. :) This year though they are soft as can be.

I really don't like sneakers with skirts and dresses. Ballet flats or sandals are all I'd wear with skirts and dresses. Mary Janes could work but they couldn't be black or chunky for summer time.

Beth

hillview
09-08-2011, 08:55 AM
When I travel like that I usually take a pair of ballet flats (Tory Burch) and a pair of heels. The ballet flats are small and I can stick them into my purse.
/hillary

ilfaith
09-08-2011, 02:55 PM
My preference for an all-around shoe is a wedge sandal, in whatever heel height you find comfortable. I'm 5'2" so I am all about the higher wedges, made even more comfortable if there's a bit of a platform. I literally wore these sandals to death this summer.
http://www.target.com/p/Women-s-Merona-174-Elliana-Wedge-Sandals-Metallic/-/A-13005024
They weren't the best made shoes in the world, but for the price, I didn't expect to get more than a season out of them. I had them in silver and in tan and wore them almost every day. They worked with everything from shorts to jeans to dresses. I had no problem chasing after the kids at the park in these shoes, but could also wear them out to dinner.

I will admit to having pretty callused feet from wearing open shoes all the time. Never was the case when I lived up north and wore socks and boots for much of the year, but living in Florida and wearing open shoes pretty much year-round I can now walk on hot coals (never mind a pool deck).

stefani
09-09-2011, 12:33 PM
When I travel like that I usually take a pair of ballet flats (Tory Burch) and a pair of heels. The ballet flats are small and I can stick them into my purse.
/hillary

Wow, love those Tory Burch's shoes! Are they really comfortable (being that pricy)?

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I suggested these on the other thread but will put them here too in case others are looking for ideas- Privos by Clarks.

Beth

wellyes
09-09-2011, 05:48 PM
In cooler months, I wear my Dr Martin boots with everything I own. But my style is a bit funkified, so that approach may not fit you.

This summer, I purchased a pair of Merril flats because I needed a semi-athletic (good traction) pair of closed-toed shoes for work, that still looked professional. Those might work?

Which docs do you suggest?

Mommy_Mea
09-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Ballet flats are definitely good, and I love my Me Toos. They are starting to fall apart after 3 years and 2 pregancies, so I will need to replace them soon...

I also love my Born Nordi sandals, I have them in black patent leather and brown, and wear them all summer long with everything!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/born-nordi-sandals-leather-for-women~p~3698d/?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Born_Nordi_Sandals_-_Leather_For_Women&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEBASE11&codes-processed=true

hillview
09-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Wow, love those Tory Burch's shoes! Are they really comfortable (being that pricy)?

It depends on which ones. I have some of the soft ballet flats and well they don't have a ton of support but they are comfy for about 6 hrs. I don't like to wear them from 8am-midnight because they are not very structured and so that can't be good for you. I also have a more structured pair and they are WAY more structured and I can wear them all day.
/hillary