PDA

View Full Version : Plantar Fascitiis: Looking for shoes (not sandals) any recs?

artvandalay
09-06-2011, 08:39 AM
I could kiss whoever recommended Orthaheel flip flops. I bought two pair and have been wearing them all summer. They are great and my pain has pretty much dissapeared. If I forget and go barefoot even for a little bit, it comes right back.

Kind of freaking out now because the weather is starting to cool and I won't be able to wear them much longer.

What shoes do you wear if you have PF? Last year I wore my Croc Mammoth around the house all day and they don't give enough support.

I went to the running store earlier this year and got fitted for running shoes. I've found that if I wear them they are the only type of ahtletic shoes that don't aggravate my PF. They are Asics with special "moderate stability" which the guy at the store gave me because he said I over pronate when I run. But, I'd like other options besides athletic shoes.

Also I saw Orthaheels sell a Mary Jane, but... do you think they look like old lady orthapedic shoes?

http://www.orthaheelusa.com/women/shoes/arcadia-mary-janes.html

I was also thinking of perhaps a Birkenstock clog?

Any recommendations? Thanks!

weech
09-06-2011, 08:43 AM
My dad has foot issues (not sure if it's PF), but he wears a custom orthotic in his regular shoes and birkenstock clogs around the house - can never go barefoot.

I also have custom orthotics and it's a PITA trying to find cute shoes that will accommodate them. I've been wearing orthaheels around the house, but I'd like to find something warmer to wear. I need super high arch support and I'm not a big fan of birks myself ;). I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

elbenn
09-06-2011, 08:56 AM
These heel cups aren't shoes but make shoes more comfortable. They fit in lots of kinds of shoes and really help. I think they might fit in the Me Too flats that BBBers are suggesting on the flats thread (but I'm not sure since I don't have a pair of these flats). The reviews are great also. http://www.footsmart.com/P-HTP-Heel-Seats-10101.aspx

pb&j
09-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Naots have excellent support - they have a few different footbeds, but all (I think) are variations on a cork footbed, like Birkenstocks.

ourbabygirl
09-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for starting this thread!
I've been wondering the same thing... I have PF, too, and got myself a pair of Orthaheels flip flops this summer, as well, thanks to the awesome people on here who recommended them. :cheerleader1: When I looked on their website for non- flip flops, though, all they had were slippers and some ugly athletic shoes, so I'd love to find something cute that would work. I have a pair of orthotics, too, and usually need to size up so that they'll fit in my shoes or boots.
I'm a SAHM and am on our wood floors most of the day, so I've been wearing my flip flops all summer and will keep wearing them as long as I can (probably not much longer as fall is setting in quickly). Crocs don't give me enough arch support and the soles on Birks aren't comfy and flexible enough...

Please let us know if you find something good! :)

ETA: Sorry, I didn't answer your original question. IMHO, yeah, the MJs look a little grandma... enough so that I'm not going to try them, but I might get some of the mules- they look slightly more trendy. The MJs only have 1 review, and it's not the most favorable, but lots of people seem to like the mules.
http://www.orthaheelusa.com/women/shoes/melissa-slip-on-mules.html#customer-reviews
I like the brown & black but would probably get the brown, as I think they're a little more stylish. Off to see if any other websites have them for less $!

scriptkitten
09-06-2011, 11:49 AM
when i had this issue i had to either wear high heels or danskos

fattytuna
09-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I have been wearing Finn Comfort sandals this summer. They have excellent arch support. I have one pair for wearing around the house (I have hardwood floors and tiles downstairs) and one pair for outside. I'm going to try their regular shoes next. They are not stylish shoes but very comfortable. Mine didn't require break in.

ETA: If I MUST wear something "pretty", like cute ballet flats with no support whatsoever, I use my 3/4 Happy Feet inserts.

artvandalay
09-06-2011, 01:21 PM
These heel cups aren't shoes but make shoes more comfortable. They fit in lots of kinds of shoes and really help. I think they might fit in the Me Too flats that BBBers are suggesting on the flats thread (but I'm not sure since I don't have a pair of these flats). The reviews are great also. http://www.footsmart.com/P-HTP-Heel-Seats-10101.aspx

I looked at these awhile back, I think my problem is compounded because I over pronate, so while these would do great for the heel, I need some sort of arch support. I suppose I could look into Orthaheel inserts. I guess for the price I was just hoping to find some shoes that didn't need inserts... and that don't make me look 80 years old :rotflmao:

Ugh. I hate this... having bad feet makes me feel old lady!

Smillow
09-06-2011, 01:50 PM
I like the mary janes you linked. I have found that walkfit arch supports (http://www.walkfit.com/info.html) help me alot - I switch them in and out of all of my shoes. Having the support on my high arch makes a lot of difference.

elbenn
09-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I looked at these awhile back, I think my problem is compounded because I over pronate, so while these would do great for the heel, I need some sort of arch support. I suppose I could look into Orthaheel inserts. I guess for the price I was just hoping to find some shoes that didn't need inserts... and that don't make me look 80 years old :rotflmao:

Ugh. I hate this... having bad feet makes me feel old lady!

You might want to read all of the reviews. There is at least one review where someone says they have high arches and this helps them with arch support. Of course, I'm sure they wouldn't work for everyone.