PDA

View Full Version : Teaching as a second career

athompson
09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I've been thinking a lot lately about teaching. I'm currently staying home with my three children, but in three years they will all be in school.
I have a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science, but neither of them are in education. I know requirements are different in each state, but where do I need to begin? I'd like to find the most cost effective way to become certified to teach in my state. I'm in Illinois. Thank you in advance:)

drako
09-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Go to your state's department of education website. You should be able to find information there. You may need to take classes in order to get your certification.

larig
09-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I've been thinking a lot lately about teaching. I'm currently staying home with my three children, but in three years they will all be in school.
I have a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science, but neither of them are in education. I know requirements are different in each state, but where do I need to begin? I'd like to find the most cost effective way to become certified to teach in my state. I'm in Illinois. Thank you in advance:)

I know lots about IL certification, but my recommendations will depend on where you live. I taught there for 10 years (and my parents taught too). What's the closest university/college to you? (PM me if you don't want to respond via posting in public). I'd be happy to talk you through the process.

hellokitty
09-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Before looking into certification/degrees, I would look at the hiring availability. In our area, it is really difficult to get a teaching job. It's not uncommon to have to sub for many yrs before getting your foot in the door for a teaching position. I had kind of thought about this as well, but knowing how bad the economy is in our area, including for teachers looking for a job, I decided it wasn't worth it. Just something to think about.

crl
09-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Before looking into certification/degrees, I would look at the hiring availability. In our area, it is really difficult to get a teaching job. It's not uncommon to have to sub for many yrs before getting your foot in the door for a teaching position. I had kind of thought about this as well, but knowing how bad the economy is in our area, including for teachers looking for a job, I decided it wasn't worth it. Just something to think about.

I agree with this. My SIL received her certification last December. She finally found two part time jobs, which don't add up to full time in pay or benefits, in a town a thirty minute drive away. She is certified for middle and high school in multiple subjects, including science.

Catherine

Twin Mom
09-06-2011, 01:09 PM
One of my friends was going to teach as a 2nd career but given the layoffs in the school system in the area and the lack of new teaching jobs it was going to be too difficult to get a position so she decided against it.

GvilleGirl
09-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I did this in the Chicago Area. I agree with looking at demand. I did elementary and there where more than 300 people interviewing per spot and that was before the recession. A lot of people were aiding, and some districts would pay for classes. I had to aid 2 yrs before getting on full time. Aiding was great in my district. I didn't have to work after school was over, no planning, no meetings, and no parent issues. Subbing is also a great way to get known at districts and see if you really like it.

Before I decided to go back I had one of the schools do a transcript review so I knew what pre-reqs I was missing. Then I was able to take some classes at the community college level that I didn't have. A lot of things will depend on what you want to teach.

ZeeBaby
09-06-2011, 01:19 PM
SIL is a teacher and I would have to agree with a lot of it being what you want to teach. Depending on what you have your MA in, it might be easier for someone with a science background. She really wanted to teach MS general studies, but there was more of a demand for special education when she started 10 years ago. Now she loves spec ed and is very happy she went that route.

khm
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
I agree to look at the area, our area isn't so dire, actually. Also, figure out what YOU want / need. Do you need full-time employment?

A family member did subbing for two years before going full time. At the time, she was fresh out of college and loved it! She didn't need the benefits (was on her parent's plan) and she was able to stay very busy subbing. She worked nearly everyday and could just deny assignments when she wanted the day off. She worked day-to-day or had longer coverage if it was an illness or new baby or vacation. She worked for a few large school systems and it was an automated phone system that called her in. During that time, she sussed out which school district she preferred, then which individual elementary. She also kind of changed her tune on which age group suited her best. She ended up going full-time in pretty much the perfect position for her. She has a strong techie background and gets to do a lot of teacher training, and is now getting her masters in admin.

A neighbor was a former teacher and subbed at our school for the last 3 years (much smaller school system than above). She specified that she only wanted to sub at X building. It worked out well for her. She's now full-time there now that her kids are older, etc.

Another former teacher (different state) was an aide at our school. She actually liked it a lot too. It was low pay and low "esteem" after being a teacher elsewhere, but really, she enjoyed the kids without the other "teacher specific hassles". ;)

Simon
09-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Dh just went through this and IME you might start with a transcript review at a few different institutions. We considered a lot of different programs because we didn't want Dh to be in school for very long. We found a way for him to go from BA to certified teacher in about 15 months though I must say it took a lot of looking at requirements on my part, this wasn't an advertised fast track program IYKWIM. Dh started with a summer session and then went one school year, so one semester of classes and then onefor his student teaching. He almost made it (and could have) but has one class left he is finishing by correspondence.

One important thing to know is whether your state overproduces teachers. Some do, like Wisconsin, Michigan and I think Pennsylvania (probably some more) and those teachers may need to go out of state for jobs. I don't know about IL.

FWIW, Dh absolutely loves teaching (after a career in sales and his industry). He did get a job but we had to move for it. We'll continue looking as he builds some experience or, since he loves his school, just stay for awhile even though it isn't an ideal location.

You might also consider non-teaching school year positions like counseling, speech therapist, nurse, etc.

AnnieW625
09-06-2011, 04:52 PM

:yeahthat: x1000 . My little sister (24) decided on teaching English as her career (she got her credential in English, but can also teach social studies in grades 6th through 12th grade) and has applied for about 50 jobs since June in a 200 mile radius of where she lives, and has only had a handfull of interviews, which is better than none, but still it's hard she says. It's really bad esp. in California. 12 yrs. ago when I graduated it was completely the opposite, but now with the budget cuts any teacher with less than 10 yrs is on the chopping block too in certain districts.

larig
09-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Don't be discouraged, OP, if your background is math or science it is not so dire as it may seem, depending on the area of the state in which you live (which is why I asked). Downstate is worse than suburbs (I taught in both areas of the state). A lot can change in 3 years. And turnover in teaching is HUGE, especially among new teachers. (if you were an English or history major I'd be telling you something different).

There are a few different ways to get certified in IL (http://www.isbe.net/profprep/PDFs/alternate.pdf). There is the traditional way, and then many schools offer there's alternative teacher certification and resident teacher certification programs. You'd be a candidate for one of the resident programs, assuming you worked in the field in which you want to teach--they're probably the shortest to get into the classroom.

ahisma
09-06-2011, 06:06 PM
I'd definitely talk to some recent grads and some current teachers in your area first. DH has taught for 16 years now, loves his job, believes in the profession, and is broadening his resume. He's taken massive pay cuts, to the point where we're both moonlighting to afford our 1400 sf house, used Ford sedans, no credit card debt, no vacation lifestyle. Literally, we're down to paycheck to paycheck. It's hard.

In PD this year, they were told that if they're under 45 they should NOT expect to retire from teaching in public schools and should not expect a pension. Nice, eh?

Right now he's out buying 15-ish copies of a novel because he doesn't have enough for his (overloaded) class. Yet, the public impression around here is that he's overpaid.

ray7694
09-06-2011, 06:06 PM
I teach in Central IL and it is a difficult area to find a job right now unless you go into a specialty. In our district you just need a college degree to sub. I would sub a little to see what the school district is in need of it will help you gauge your schooling needs.

larig
09-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I'd definitely talk to some recent grads and some current teachers in your area first. DH has taught for 16 years now, loves his job, believes in the profession, and is broadening his resume. He's taken massive pay cuts, to the point where we're both moonlighting to afford our 1400 sf house, used Ford sedans, no credit card debt, no vacation lifestyle. Literally, we're down to paycheck to paycheck. It's hard.

In PD this year, they were told that if they're under 45 they should NOT expect to retire from teaching in public schools and should not expect a pension. Nice, eh?

Right now he's out buying 15-ish copies of a novel because he doesn't have enough for his (overloaded) class. Yet, the public impression around here is that he's overpaid.

This is all very true. People going into teaching today need to go in with seriously altered expectations of what they will have in terms of support, etc.

vludmilla
09-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I agree with the PP's who suggested really checking into the job market in your area. In my area, we get several hundred responses for one job opening. Not very good odds. There are many certified teachers without jobs. There are some areas that are better, special education, literacy, math, and if you double major in these areas, all the better. I don't mean to be a downer, but I would hate to spend two to three years getting certified and then not get a job.

athompson
09-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Thank you all for the advice and also for the reality check.
I adore children and would love to find a way to work with them in my future career. I've worked in both marketing and real estate and while I enjoyed both, I found them unfulfilling. I need to do some serious soul searching I suppose.

crl
09-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Thank you all for the advice and also for the reality check.
I adore children and would love to find a way to work with them in my future career. I've worked in both marketing and real estate and while I enjoyed both, I found them unfulfilling. I need to do some serious soul searching I suppose.

If you have any interest, I know our district is always looking for occupational therapists. I think speech therapists and people with special education credentials have an easier time finding work as well. Plus the therapists have the ability to work in jobs outside of schools as well. Just a thought.

Catherine

niccig
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
If you have any interest, I know our district is always looking for occupational therapists. I think speech therapists and people with special education credentials have an easier time finding work as well. Plus the therapists have the ability to work in jobs outside of schools as well. Just a thought.

Catherine

I'm back in school to be a SLP. My professor in the core anatomy class asked us why there's such a demand for the SLP classes. One student replied because of the jobs. At the moment, there's 100% employability from the Masters course, and some places will pay your last year of tuition if sign on with them for 2-3 years of work. She told everyone that they have to want to do the work more than a)there's a job and b) I get to play with kids on the floor.

In her work career she said demand has gone up and done, and there is so much more work then playing with kids (very heavily science, linguistic and psychology based). It's also a long hard slog. It's going to take me 3-4 years (18 months to do pre-requisites, apply for Masters then 2-2.5 years to do Masters of Science). I'm busting my behind as have to get As to have chance of getting into grad. school.

But, I'm loving it. This is what I want to do. I may/may not work in schools. The school schedule will work best for DS, but I could work in EI, schools, hospitals, nursing homes, rehab units. I don't know yet. And my professor said you may work in different populations depending on interest and job availability. So, if you just want schools, that may not happen.