PDA

View Full Version : At what age do you switch your DC to same sex pediatrician?

HIU8
09-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Right now we go to a peds practice with 3 women and 2 men. DS has seen all of them. We are going to be switching peds (ins issue). The new practice has 7 women and 1 man. DS is 7. How much longer can I expect him to be OK with seeing a female doctor? Granted I can get appointments with the one male doc in the practice if need be, but for sick visits it's not plausible to expect to be able to get him all the time.

BabyBearsMom
09-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't even worry about the doctor's gender. My PCP is a male and my pediatrician was always a male. To me a doctor is a professional and gender doesn't really play a factor.

maestramommy
09-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Hmmmm, I guess I could see that it's different for boys, but growing up I always had a male ped, and then I had a male OB/gyn. Never had a problem with either, they were both great. Now I have a female OB but only because she is part of a group and ended up delivering Laurel, and I fell in love. I'd seen the two males in the practice earlier and they were great too.

ezcc
09-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I have a ds and a dd, and our pediatrician is female. DS, 8, has never had an issue with this and I don't picture ever switching him just to see a man. My own doctor is male right now and I grew up with a male pediatrician. I don't think it's a big deal.

pinkmomagain
09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
My 15yo dd is still seeing a male ped in the practice -- because he is the best. She also has a male gi dr. I don't think it's a problem, unless the child is really expressing an issue.

luckytwenty
09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
We go to a huge practice, so we don't really have "one" main pediatrician. I do have my daughter see a woman ped. for her yearly check-ups because she has a great rapport with her and was a little shy with the male docs. When anyone's sick enough to need the ped. (pretty rare since DH is an allergist & can take care of the basic ear infections, etc. from home) we see whoever is available first, male or female.

waitingforgrace
09-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about it for now as long as there is a male doctor who he could meet with if there were an issue he felt uncomfortable discussing with a female. In general though, I think it's a great time to express that these are professionals and particularly for minor issues like a cold/flu either gender doctor will get the job done.

BabbyO
09-06-2011, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't even worry about the doctor's gender. My PCP is a male and my pediatrician was always a male. To me a doctor is a professional and gender doesn't really play a factor.

:yeahthat:

It wouldn't even occur to me to swith unless my kids were complaining or expressing concern.

egoldber
09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
My older DD requested a female ped for her 10 year check up. She was pretty self conscious about the idea of a male ped this year.

s7714
09-06-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't plan to change peds unless one of my DCs expresses discomfort with the situation.

elephantmeg
09-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I remember not wanting a male past 10 or so. Our favorite pedi left :( and I switched my kids to a guy figuring DS would care first and I'll switch DD over to his wife at some point. Right now I enjoy being able to do both appointments at the same time-so much faster! And with birthday months 1 month apart I can do that

crl
09-06-2011, 02:56 PM
My dh prefers female doctors. So I wouldn't assume any need to switch.

Catherine

boolady
09-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't plan to change peds unless one of my DCs expresses discomfort with the situation.

:yeahthat:

JBaxter
09-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I dont think my teenagers would be comfortable with a female ped for a physical but for illness or anything that didn't have to do with taking off their boxers they would be fine.