PDA

View Full Version : ok to use a blanket and pillow?

AnimalBabe
09-06-2011, 02:20 PM
So our pediatrician at my son's 1 year checkup said that it's ok to use a small pillow and blanket now in the crib. I'm still worried about SIDS. A woman on our street had lost a child to SIDS and I believe her daughter was over a year old. I could see maybe a blanket, but with the way my son rolls around the entire crib, even that makes me scared. Is this really ok? Recommendations for breathable blankets, or will any baby blanket work? We have some small soft ones that I use for the stroller. Thanks!

TwoBees
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
We used a loose knit (handmade) baby blanket for DD around 12-15 mos. Because of the loose knit, it was very breathable. I actually tried several blankets by pulling them over my own face. If I couldn't breathe well through the material, I didn't feel safe giving them to DD. A thin fleece blanket would also work, as would a loose muslin blanket (like Aiden and Anais). Breathable Baby also makes a breathable blanket.

As for the pillow, I don't really think there is a need for a pillow at that age, but DD was a stomach sleeper, and just now (22 months) is she beginning to want a pillow.

BabbyO
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I think we started with the blanket between 12 and 18 mo (DS' birthday is in the summer...so little need for a blanket in July when he turned 1).

We didn't use a pillow until he was nearly 2. He never seemed to care or want one until he was 2...then he'd wad up his blanket or try to use a stuffed animal as a pillow. We got a toddler pillow so it was more the right size for him.

I'm really not worried about it. DS moves a lot in his sleep, too...but I've watched him...he pushes things out of his way when he rolls against them.

If your DS is a really sound sleeper and you don't think he'd push things out of the way, or turn his head...you may want to wait a bit longer.

We've been using one of the larger receiving blankets for DS...he seems to love it. This fall/winter will be the first with something heavier - a train quilt to match his room.

waitingforgrace
09-06-2011, 02:45 PM
We started with a light weight blanket around 12 months. We gave her a pillow around 18 months because she was wadding up the blanket to use as a pillow. I'm not worried about either but if I were I just would have held off giving them to her, she certainly doesn't need either.

AnimalBabe
09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks everyone! I don't think he needs a blanket now, but was thinking ahead since it's just not beginning to get cooler. Maybe in a few months I'll try one out. TwoBees, that's a good suggestion for pulling it over your face to check breathability. It sounds like he won't need a pillow for awhile, and I'd be too scared to use that anyway. Since our son learned to roll over and sleep on his belly he practically sleeps with his whole face/nose pressed into the mattress.

wellyes
09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
We use a blanket but I don't see the point of a pillow! Especially for a belly sleeper. Which I think most kids are at that age.

bubbaray
09-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Both my girls started using a thin pillow around 12m. Neither were stomach sleepers ever, though.

mommytoC
09-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone! I don't think he needs a blanket now, but was thinking ahead since it's just not beginning to get cooler. Maybe in a few months I'll try one out.

We used Halo sleepsacks for our DDs until they were close to 3...mostly to keep them covered at night :). If you're concerned about using a blanket, though,
a sleepsack would be a good alternative.

hoodlims
09-07-2011, 06:34 AM
I agree with MommyC! I also use a sleepsack on my 18m old, the Early Walker version, which has foot openings. This way I don't worry about her getting cold. I do have a blanket in her bed, but mostly for her to snuggle with.

BayGirl2
09-07-2011, 08:37 PM
DS is a stomach sleeper and he would ball up a muslin blanket and use it as a pillow. We'd cover him with a softer baby blanket. That was in his crib, after 1 year. I never saw a need for more than that for a pillow, and the muslin is very breathable so I wasn't concerned.

Once he moved to a big boy bed, after 2 years, he got a real pillow and a twin quilt as a blanket.

AnimalBabe
09-08-2011, 10:47 AM
I agree with MommyC! I also use a sleepsack on my 18m old, the Early Walker version, which has foot openings. This way I don't worry about her getting cold. I do have a blanket in her bed, but mostly for her to snuggle with.

I always wanted to use a sleep sack and he hated it! It made me so sad. He'd kick his legs and scream when I zipped it up. I saw the early walker versions with the foot holes, but looked at the reviews and tons of people said that they are huge and wouldn't fit a toddler until age 2. Is that your opinion?

mommytoC
09-08-2011, 03:22 PM
I always wanted to use a sleep sack and he hated it! It made me so sad. He'd kick his legs and scream when I zipped it up. I saw the early walker versions with the foot holes, but looked at the reviews and tons of people said that they are huge and wouldn't fit a toddler until age 2. Is that your opinion?

The early walker sacks come in both 12-18m and 18-24m sizes. My DD#2 is very tall (>95%), and outgrew the 18-24m size right around 2y. The toddler sleepsacks are much larger (sized 2-3T and 4-5T). FWIW, both of my DDs have gone through phases where they didn't want their sleepsacks on. When that was the case, I just waited to put them on after they fell asleep :).

BabyBearsMom
09-08-2011, 03:47 PM
We use a blanket in DD's crib. She outgrew her last sleep sack and I didn't feel like buying another one. DD is very mobile and I just don't worry about SIDS with her anymore. If she couldn't breath, she would move or wake up and scream. If you are really worried, there is a breatheable blanket made by the same company that makes breatheable bumpers. We have one and it is nice.

hoodlims
09-08-2011, 04:19 PM

It can be huge depending on how you wear it. They make it a little long so you can pull the leg part down and tuck the feet inside (like a traditional sleepsack) or you can push the legs up to expose the feet (that is when it seems large). My tall 18 month old fits fine in the 12-18 month size with the feet exposed. I will probably buy her the larger size when she hits 2. I was one of the people who reviewed it to be too large, but I can see why they did that.