PDA

View Full Version : Have you colored your hair during pregnancy?

Kaylee31
09-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm a little confused on this. I've read that it's "probably" safe-- especially after the first trimester, and your body doesn't absorb the chemicals, . IIRC, I just skipped dying my hair altogether during my first pregnancy to be on the safe side.
I'm currently 16 wks, and my roots are starting to look bad b/c the rest of my hair has lightened from the sun & chlorine. So I think I will make an appt. to have it colored, but wanted to see if anyone had feedback on this.

janine
09-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I have - I waited until Week 13 (and boy did I need it at that point). I used the Wholefoods natural options which still does have some chemical, but it is safe as far as I can see (and no fumes). Like you said this is one of those mixed areas where some say it is perfectly fine (any dye) and others lean cautious and say only highlight (which won't cover my grays!). I have continued to color
throughout but try to wait until I can't take the roots anymore.

Oh and I dyed my hair before I knew I was pregnant (early on, before Week 3) with the generic dye so no matter what, it's tough to avoid it all.

waitingforgrace
09-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I would just make sure the place is well ventilated. I don't worry so much about the chemicals on my head but more the breathing them in.

okinawama
09-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I waited until the second trimester, but yes, I highlighted my hair with both pregnancies.

missliss55
09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I did highlights after the first trimester with my pregnancies.

BabyBearsMom
09-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Do you have an Aveda salon in your area? My stylist has a low chemical color that they use and they do a special treatment so it is off-scalp. I :heartbeat: Aveda.

BayGirl2
09-06-2011, 06:41 PM
I didn't either time. But I only do occasional highlights so going a while w/o is not a significant change for me. I'm also super non-trusting of chemicals so I'd rather be safe than sorry on this one. I did see a picture of myself and how dark my hair is right now, and I may need to get some highlights after the delivery.

indigo99
09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
I had full highlights done in my second trimester and felt fine about it. It barely smelled at all, and I don't think it really got onto my scalp too much. Some of the color girls at my salon were pregnant, and THAT is something I wouldn't want to do (being around the fumes all day).
At my last cut appointment a few weeks ago, they asked if I wanted to just do a brightener when I got shampooed (to help blend my roots growing out). I said yes and regretted it as soon as they started putting it on. It smelled VERY strong and made my scalp tingle. It only stayed on for a minute or two before getting washed out, but I can't imagine it's good to breathe that even for a short amount of time so...

I think I'd ask them about the smell and how much of it gets onto the scalp. Possibly just do highlights to cover and blend everything and avoid anything else.

rileysmom
09-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm 36 weeks, but I just recently dyed my hair with natural instincts at home and it turned out great and baby is doing just fine. :)

daniele_ut
09-08-2011, 01:20 PM
I had my hair cut and highlighted (foils) last week. Foils don't even really touch your scalp and I am almost 23 weeks so I felt fine about it.

TxCat
09-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes. I waited until the 2nd trimester, and my stylist specifically placed the foils so that none of them were touching the hairline.