PDA

View Full Version : what do do with China and other wedding gifts, 10 years later?

nfowife
09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I am thinking of getting rid of my china in the next 2 years when we move again (we are military). I haven't used it at all in probably 5 years, and have used it maybe 4 times total in the 5 years before that- been married 10 years. It is such a pain to drag it from house to house, worry about it getting broken, storing it, etc., when it doesn't get used. It just doesn't fit our lifestyle now and I don't forsee us ever being the type of people to have formal parties- we are just casual type people.

I also have a whole bunch of other wedding gifts that have never been used/opened- cordial glasses, crystal vases, crystal toasting flutes, etc. What the heck do I do with all this crap? Where can I get rid of it? I hate to throw it out, what a waste. I will probably get bupkes on it via craigslist, in my area for sure. Any ideas?

karstmama
09-06-2011, 03:41 PM
replacements.com?

consignment shop?

some silent auction for a charity you believe in?

lablover
09-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I don't know, but I will be watching this thread. Married 12 years and I think the only time it has been used is when I pulled out two sets for an anniversary dinner at home or something like that. The rest of it is still wrapped up because our formal dining room is being used as a playroom.

vonfirmath
09-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I am thinking of getting rid of my china in the next 2 years when we move again (we are military). I haven't used it at all in probably 5 years, and have used it maybe 4 times total in the 5 years before that- been married 10 years. It is such a pain to drag it from house to house, worry about it getting broken, storing it, etc., when it doesn't get used. It just doesn't fit our lifestyle now and I don't forsee us ever being the type of people to have formal parties- we are just casual type people.

I also have a whole bunch of other wedding gifts that have never been used/opened- cordial glasses, crystal vases, crystal toasting flutes, etc. What the heck do I do with all this crap? Where can I get rid of it? I hate to throw it out, what a waste. I will probably get bupkes on it via craigslist, in my area for sure. Any ideas?

we've been married 7.5 years and in the latest move donated all the breakable wedding gifts that have never been used to a group at church that holds garage sales and uses the proceeds to fund recovery help.

if you are near bastrop texas you could also donate to the families that lost everything

ThreeofUs
09-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Craigslist it.

Or think of storing it at a relative's house, if you really like any of it.

cntrymoon2
09-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Amazon.com seller account. So much easier than ebay, and no listing fees. They take a commission for each item sold, roughly 15%, plus .99 per item flat fee.

BayGirl2
09-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I sold my dishes from my first marriage (a classic Denby pattern from the late 90's) when I remarried. Most of them I sold on Amazon.com. I also got quotes from Replacements.com and sold some of them there. It took a little bit of effort to box them up and sell, but I think we got a decent amount for them.

mackmama
09-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I'd look for a local consignment shop. We didn't register for any china since we're casual types, too.

carolinamama
09-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I would love to sell our China and use the proceeds towards new everyday dishes or something else we would really use. I am in the South and married a Southerner. Growing up in the North, I've never seen so much China get sent my way. But we just don't use it.

I'd say sell it if you don't feel a sentimental attachment to it.