PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Food/Taking Food At School Lunch

Kindra178
09-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Just talked to DS. He told me that Connor took his pretzels without asking. Although I don't know Connor yet, I believe he is a fellow k'er. I don't want DS eating other kids' food because he has a peanut allergy. I don't really care that Connor shared some of DS' pretzels because there were plenty. But . . . I don't really like the idea of another kid taking my child's lunch, especially without asking. I couldn't really get the full story of what DS said to Connor or whether he was happy to share or not. This is unchartered territory for him (and me). Heading to school open house tonight with DS tonight, so hopefully more of the story will unfold.

If I see/meet Connor's parents tonight, should I tell them to buy their kid some damn pretzels? (just kidding)

I am also going to wait for future incidences before I alert the teacher, who is not present at lunch.

JBaxter
09-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I would address it tonight. Nicely say something like... Since my DS has food allergies can you tell me the sharing of food policy. Let her talk then share the pretzel story. She may just have to go over the no sharing of food a few more times. Nathan has stated several times since kindergarten that sharing of food is not allowed.

bubbaray
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I would teach your child never to share his lunch. I would also discuss with the teacher and any lunchroom aides.

My 4yo knows to never share lunch, as does my 7yo, they both have FAs.

liz
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
No, I would not mention it to the other parent, but I would mention it to the teacher. I know at our school they take the sharing of food very seriously, mainly due to allergies. I would not hesitate to mention it tonight, or in an email if that seems better. I seem to recall that open house was just an informational night and no real quality time spent with the teacher. Hope you get it all straightened out. gl!

PunkyBoo
09-06-2011, 04:53 PM
No, I would not mention it to the other parent, but I would mention it to the teacher. I know at our school they take the sharing of food very seriously, mainly due to allergies. I would not hesitate to mention it tonight, or in an email if that seems better. I seem to recall that open house was just an informational night and no real quality time spent with the teacher. Hope you get it all straightened out. gl!

:yeahthat:. There usually are lunchtime monitors who will help the kids at lunchtime. But the teacher should go over lunch rules in class and you should tell DS to go to the monitor if someone is causing him problems at lunch.

Pennylane
09-06-2011, 04:55 PM
I agree with pp, I would not address it with the other childs parent, but with the teacher.

When my dd came home and said a friend wanted to trade something in their lunch box for something in hers, I explained that I packed her lunch just for her and it was not to be shared or traded.

I worked in the lunchroom a few times and was surprised to see how often kids shared their food!

Ann