PDA

View Full Version : Update in 11: It's days like today that make me want to run away and hide

amldaley
09-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I should be so happy to have a well paid job in my career feild. I am over my head in debt and am lucky to have a job at all.

But days like today make me want to run and hide in a box somewhere.

I spent almost 5 hours listening to someone vent, mostly at me, about things that are largely beyond my control (though a few points did it home and I need to work on them) and then learned that my higher ups are, essentially, firing someone b/c of his wife's complaints about me (grossly oversimplified version).

I did not eat anything all day as this meeting went on.

When we emerged after 4:00 pm, the Staff duty looked at me and asked if I was ok. I was totally drained of color, I have a migraine. I feel wrecked.

And now I have to miss my personal financial counseling appointment tomorrow which I have been waiting weeks for and desperately need on a personal level to address this situation at work.

I TOTALLY FRICKING HATE MY JOB. It has become physically taxing on me. I feel I can't escape from other people's issues.

And now I have a ringing in my ears. That's helpful, too. Ugh.

liz
09-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Oh my god, that sounds like the absolute worst day of work. Please do something nice for yourself tonight, order take out, take a bath, get in some comfy clothes and veg out. Huge :hug:, I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Is there any way you can make your appt tomorrow?

amldaley
09-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Oh my god, that sounds like the absolute worst day of work. Please do something nice for yourself tonight, order take out, take a bath, get in some comfy clothes and veg out. Huge :hug:, I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Is there any way you can make your appt tomorrow?

Not likely. I don't want to leave the guy hanging so I feel I need to cancel in the a.m. I have to meet with my Commanding Officer at his convenience tomorrow and I already have to leave work for an hour in the morning for a blood draw.

DH baked up some frozen Spanikopita and then promptly sent me to bed. He is taking care of DD and I am sacked out in bed now, on the laptop, watching Friends, and eating Hersheys Kisses. Which considering he has to be up 3:00 am tomorrow to leave for 3 days is pretty nice of him.

Thanks

bubbaray
09-06-2011, 07:42 PM
You need to call in sick tomorrow to have your blood draw AND your counselling appt. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST.

BTW, the ringing in your ears is probably high blood pressure. BTDT.

KpbS
09-06-2011, 08:53 PM
You need to call in sick tomorrow to have your blood draw AND your counselling appt. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST.

Brilliant and completely legitimate!

Sorry today was so stinky :hug:

ShanaMama
09-06-2011, 09:21 PM

BTW, the ringing in your ears is probably high blood pressure. BTDT.
:yeahthat: As much as you feel responsibility toward your employers, they do not feel the same responsibility to you. (This is a typical employer, but a full day meeting with no break to eat? And they know you're pregnant? Hello?! I can't go two hours without eating!)
The only person who can take care of you is you. The rest can wait for the next day.

Trigglet
09-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I teach business ethics, so I know a thing or two about stinky employers, and yours sound like they could do with some improvement (trying to be diplomatic, see? :D).

:hug: - and seriously do take care of yourself and take a sicky if you think you could relax (I know I'm not very good at relaxing if I think there are things going on at work that I should be dealing with, so it might not work as a suggestion for you.)

kijip
09-07-2011, 02:07 AM
What the hell kind of a meeting at work lasts 5 hours? Seriously, I may have considered flinging myself from the window after, or DURING that. It sounds just beyond the realm of reason.

amldaley
09-07-2011, 08:35 AM
To be fair...there was almost no one in my building yesterday. It was no a meeting with my employer. It was a meeting with, for lack of a better term, a client. A civilian female colleague did go get a baked potato for me at the 2 hour mark, I just never got around to eating it in this highly emotionally charged session.

With a big storm here last night and DH getting up so early...I am taking the morning off and moving the blood draw to lunch. DD slept in with me from about 3 am on and she could not get back to sleep for quite awhile during the storm. So we are taking it easy this morning. I am going to call the personal financial counselor and see if he can reschedule without another three week wait. Otherwise I will try to keep the appointment.

Thanks, everyone :22:

momm
09-07-2011, 08:55 AM
:( I'm sorry about yesterday. You do sound a teeny bit better today though. Hope it gets better. Hugs

amldaley
09-07-2011, 01:59 PM
So, while I still want out of this job like a prisoner doin' time in the hole, I had a lengthy conversation with my Commanding Officer today and was reminded why I have this job in the first place. I am lucky to work for a boss who supports and defends me and has more than an ounce of common sense.

It still sucks but it sucks less today.

And the financial counselor got me in next Monday, which in the end works better as now DH can go. He did not make me wait three weeks to get back on the schedule.

crl
09-07-2011, 03:03 PM
So, while I still want out of this job like a prisoner doin' time in the hole, I had a lengthy conversation with my Commanding Officer today and was reminded why I have this job in the first place. I am lucky to work for a boss who supports and defends me and has more than an ounce of common sense.

It still sucks but it sucks less today.

And the financial counselor got me in next Monday, which in the end works better as now DH can go. He did not make me wait three weeks to get back on the schedule.

Glad things have improved a bit!

Catherine

ThreeofUs
09-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Glad to hear both updates. So nice to have a supportive CO.

:hug:

LD92599
09-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Good updates! Take it one day at a time.