PDA

View Full Version : 18 month old must have toys?

BabyH
09-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Anything unique, extra-fun or something "outside the box" that comes to mind?

We have all the run of the mill toddler toys, playhouses, ball pit, tunnels, blocks, one wall in his playroom is chalkboard, basketball hoop trucks, etc. but a lot of his toys I'm slowly packing away (one by one so he doesn't pitch a fit!) because they just seem really babyish. For example, the Baby Einstein piano that he got when he was 6 months old, and wow did he love that thing.... and only recently he has started ignoring it.

Anything really special you can think of?

Now that I write it out, it sounds like we have a million toys. And we do, and books... but I'm thinking I should get him just a few new ones for the WOW factor and also just because...... :love5:

happymom
09-06-2011, 07:23 PM
DD has been playing with her megablox almost daily since she was that age.

BabyH
09-06-2011, 07:41 PM
DD has been playing with her megablox almost daily since she was that age.

Yep - we have those :) DS does love them. I know we might have everything we need, I was just trying to see if there was anything I'm missing. On Amazon when I search by age it seems like a bunch of "on the cusp" toys between baby and young toddler..... I'm just looking for something that DS will become obsessed with so he doesn't set the house on fire while I try and make a sandwich!

Oh wow, I JUST saw the sticky about the "favorite toys by age" thread! Fun!

katydid1971
09-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Melissa and Doug Chunky puzzles. You can sometimes find these at TJ Maxx Both of my kids really liked these at that age. http://www.melissaanddoug.com/chunky-wooden-puzzles?n=1
ETA: DD started playing with cutting food at that age and still plays with it a lot. http://www.melissaanddoug.com/cutting-food?9797967

hoodlims
09-06-2011, 09:02 PM
My daughter has been loving the Plan Toys alligator. She also loves playing with Play Doh and drawing with her markers. My friend's son who is 4 months older, loves his toy kitchen. My 18 month old is not into that yet.

kristac
09-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Discovery Toys Castle Marbleworks and Magnatiles get lots of play around here right now. DS2 is getting into Geotrax now at 22 months. He also really likes to push his walker wagon or a shopping cart around the house. Big trucks are favs as well.

newg
09-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Playsilks?
We just got this play phone from leapfrog and both DDs love it: http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/jump/Chat-%26-Count-Cell-Phone/productDetail/All-Gifts-for-Boys/lfprod19145/cat560008?selectedColor=&selectedSize=&navAction=jump&navCount=0&categoryNav=false

lego duplos?
wooden or foam blocks that he can stack up and knock down?

hellokitty
09-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Balls, balls and more balls. Anything with wheels or anything that makes a lot of racket that will give you a headache, lol.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Balls, balls and more balls. Anything with wheels or anything that makes a lot of racket that will give you a headache, lol.

:yeahthat:

LOL. as a mom of an active 19month old boy,i totally get this, LOL. DS was obsessed with balls for the longest time. Then he moved on to cars and now trains. I agree, anything with wheels. DS would upturn walker toys just to see how the wheels spun.

also what DS is really loving now is his Thomas trains, and anything with letters/numbers (wooden, puzzles, flashcards, etc).

citymama
09-07-2011, 03:18 AM
What about a Skuut or a trike?

BabyH
09-07-2011, 01:37 PM
What about a Skuut or a trike?

I think this is the best bet. Out of everything mentioned (aside from the play kitchen, which I KNOW DS would obsess over, but do we really need a third play-house-esque thing?!) a bike is something we don't have, but DS has shown interest in several times.

For those of you who suggested balls, my "ball pit" in the playroom is currently a little tikes sandbox filled w/ a ton of ball pit balls. Over 200, and DS love love love love loves it. He especially likes it when I "bury" him and he can jump back up!

Simon
09-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Ds2 is about 19mo and loves stacking blocks (large ones), anything he can push (shopping cart, lawn mower, vaccuum, stroller) and the marble runs (we have a large and small).

kristac
09-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Yokidoo Fill and Flow Spout
http://www.amazon.com/Yookidoo-Flow-N-Fill-Spout/dp/B001R5TJ8G

brittone2
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
For us, Montessori type toys/tools. A small broom, a swiffer w/ a section removed, a small rake, etc. My DS2 is 17 months and is starting to really get into this type of thing. My other kids got a ton of use out of these types of toys from age 2-3.5 and beyond, but started getting interested in them by 18 months.

Our other big ones are probably:
cars/vehicles
sandbox
learning tower
balls
ride on toys w/ wheels or Rody pony
large knobbed puzzles
play kitchen (DS2 starting to get into pretend cooking)
train table (to grow into? DS2 isn't into trains yet but DS1 started showing an interest by 18 months or so)
little fine motor tasks-dropping pieces of a straw into an old spice jar, pegs in a pegboard, etc.

Montessori catalogs are pretty inspiring for this age IMO.