PDA

View Full Version : Girls undies that don't ride up

Nooknookmom
09-07-2011, 02:54 AM
DD is 4 & about 30 lbs soaking wet.

She is having major wedgie issues, I have her in Gymbo bikini's & TCP bikini's they both ride up on her. I looked at Hanna Hipsters (?) Sunday but can't tell if the leg holes are also cut too high and would ride up too. I was looking at the XS.

Anyone have another brand that may stay put? Boden? Old navy? She likes a wider waist band so the Target character ones are out, they bug her tummy.

The way she is built, like a bean pole, doesn't help the matter. She has a teeny waist but has a little booty to cover!

citymama
09-07-2011, 03:13 AM
I would definitely recommend Hanna - either hipsters or maybe even classics which provide more coverage. My DD1 wore size XS hipsters from 2-3 and has been in size S ever since. She is 5 and a half and very tall, and probably ready for size Medium.

If you are near a HA retail store, I would recommend the retail hipsters in small (not the outlet version which is cut much narrower) or the classics in XS. I don't know how tall your DD is, but at 4, I would get size S hipsters. She does sound pretty small though, since I think my DD was about 38 lbs at 4 (she is about 42-43 lbs now).

I also hear good things about the Gymboree 7 Days a week underwear (not the regular ones), and I believe they have a 20% off sale starting this week. We've never tried them so can't vouch for them.

mezzona
09-07-2011, 03:24 AM
no wedgies with the mini boden ones, but the waistband is not as wide and as the hannas. mini boden waistband is completely covered, nothing to irritate the tummy. the hannas i got dd were too big, so total wedgie there.

eta: the hannas dd has are sz s, classic, and she is 30-32# @3.5 yo. falls off/wedgie, therefore i would recommend sz xs in those.

citymama
09-07-2011, 03:59 AM
no wedgies with the mini boden ones, but the waistband is not as wide and as the hannas. mini boden waistband is completely covered, nothing to irritate the tummy. the hannas i got dd were too big, so total wedgie there.

eta: the hannas dd has are sz s, classic, and she is 30-32# @3.5 yo. falls off/wedgie, therefore i would recommend sz xs in those.

so you prefer the boden ones? what size is she in?

mezzona
09-07-2011, 04:13 AM
so you prefer the boden ones? what size is she in?

the boden ones just fit her better because i got them in the right size. i bought the hannas a size too big. she wears 2t-3t bodens.

mommytoC
09-07-2011, 05:29 AM
I would definitely recommend Hanna - either hipsters or maybe even classics which provide more coverage. My DD1 wore size XS hipsters from 2-3 and has been in size S ever since. She is 5 and a half and very tall, and probably ready for size Medium.

I'd second the suggestion for HA, though I'd probably try the classics first. They're definitely full coverage, and have nice, snug leg holes so they're no gaping (and no wedgies either!). My DD#1 wore size S from PT (28m) until age 5, then moved to size M. She has a few pairs of size M hipsters too, which aren't gaping now that she's moving into size 130 (she's 48" and 58#). DD#2 is close to 38" and 30-32#, and I ordered size XS for her, as her size S ones were too big (when she tried them on last month).

AnnieW625
09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
DD1 started wearing Hanna hipsters at 3/1/2 and about 35lbs and we went with the smalls, she is still wearing them almost 2 yrs. later at 42" tall and about 40lbs. I think for your daughter I'd go with the XS. We have the mediums in the outlet "redesigned hipsters" and they are definitely larger on DD1, but they are the back up unders. I have not tried the classic unders on her so I can't comment on those. The Gymboree 7 Day A Week panties don't have a wide waist band, but some of the other non 7 Day a Week ones do, but reviews are mixed on those.

The Childrens Place also makes wide band panties, and Carters also has a few now with the wide covered band.

citymama
09-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Annie, how did those days of the week Gymbo unders work for your DD?

Katigre
09-07-2011, 05:00 PM
I have found that certaini body types (skinny bodies with curvy bottoms) suffer from wedgie issues far more than other females. This holds true as little girls and also as women.

I found TCP to give good coverage (far better than Gymboree). If it doesn't bother her then I'd just let it go.

LMPC
09-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I like the way HA classic cut under sit on DD. Kind of like a boxer brief...no ride up at all. She is about 37" and 30lbs...she wears a small comfortably. I didn't like the way the more bikini style underwear fit her...we had H&M and boden. Seemed like she had a perpetual wedgie!

Nooknookmom
09-11-2011, 03:37 AM
Oops, I never got back to check my own thread! Thanks for all the advice, I haven't gone shopping yet but I really need to as DD started pre-school and i need to banish the wedgie!

I'll report back after I get her some new chonies!

twowhat?
09-11-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm late to this but we have the Hanna classics. No wedgies, EVER!

Nooknookmom
09-16-2011, 02:30 AM
I'm late to this but we have the Hanna classics. No wedgies, EVER!

How high do they go up on the waist? I pulled a pair out at HA to look at but since you can't try on undies it was hard to see if they would go up high. I need to get on the ball b/c the gymb ones are driving her nuts at school.

MommyAllison
09-16-2011, 02:52 AM
DD is built similarly (soon to be 6 and still under 40lb) and, I'm sorry to say, got wedgies from HA hipsters quite often. We switched to WAHM undies (this pattern) http://hyenacart.com/FishsticksDesigns/index.php?c=0&p=27850 and have had zero wedgies since. Love, love, love them.

Tanya
09-16-2011, 02:25 PM
My just turned 5 year old, 32.5 pound daughter wears Hanna hipsters (XS) without problems. She'll wear about anything though without complaints, but I notice that the Hannas fit her much nicer than the character ones or the JCP handmedowns from her sis.

AnnieW625
09-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Annie, how did those days of the week Gymbo unders work for your DD?

I pulled them out the package and they looked a little big so I just returned them, plus I honestly didn't want to get in an argument with her if it was Wednesday and her Wednesday panties were dirty because she definitely is the type of kid that would only wear her undies on the right day:shake:

twowhat?
09-16-2011, 02:32 PM
How high do they go up on the waist? I pulled a pair out at HA to look at but since you can't try on undies it was hard to see if they would go up high. I need to get on the ball b/c the gymb ones are driving her nuts at school.

This is my one complaint. I wish they didn't rise quite so high up on the waist. But the good news is that even though they rise up high (if you pull them up), they tend to settle down below the belly button around the hips (because of the toddler belly) and I've never had a problem with that extra amount of material that bunches up slightly there. And it really helps with coverage if you've got a child with a chunky butt too. With our other unders (Gap) they constantly have plumber's crack.

I also love that the crotch is wider since kids are always sitting with their legs apart

Nooknookmom
09-18-2011, 03:27 AM
This is my one complaint. I wish they didn't rise quite so high up on the waist. But the good news is that even though they rise up high (if you pull them up), they tend to settle down below the belly button around the hips (because of the toddler belly) and I've never had a problem with that extra amount of material that bunches up slightly there. And it really helps with coverage if you've got a child with a chunky butt too. With our other unders (Gap) they constantly have plumber's crack.

I also love that the crotch is wider since kids are always sitting with their legs apart

I'm still laughing at the plumbers crack line! So my biggest thing is that DD has the tinyest tush, no chunks in sight. Add to that she is super skinny so any undie with high cut legs ride right up.

Guess it'll have to be the HA classics..I re-looked at ON, gymbo, and gap today and all are cut the same and the 2/3's look HUGE compared to her body. I have a peanut, she was like 12% for height and 7% for weight at last ck up. Doc said no worries...she"ll grow. Like when? Its becoming more difficult to find clothes that fit her waist and aren't too long.

Thx for all the help, I'll report back after i make it down to HA.