PDA

View Full Version : middle age acne is driving me nuts.

maestramommy
09-07-2011, 06:42 AM
I've always had acne, from the time I was 10 yo and on. Once I got to college I could trace it to getting worse a week or more before AF started. At some point most of the acne disappeared on my forehead and cheeks, but every month like clockwork, my the whole area around my chin and upper lip look like I belong in HS again. It's maddening. I've tried a few different things, found that some form of microdermabrasion can be very helpful. I've been a loyal MK user for 10 years, but recently started trying other products to save money. I've been using a scrub by Loreal that has that nifty little rubber pad that came with the bottle. That actually worked wonders for a month or two, but now's it's coming back. Then I saw a 3 step system by Clean and Clear that is essentially Benzoyl peroxide in the cleanser, Salycic (wrong sp I know) acid in the moisturizer, and the same in spot treatment gel. After a few days everything is worse!

I'm about to ask my OB for help because the practice she works for seems to have an on site consultant for skin/beauty issues. Other than that I'm at a loss. I used Ortho something, that BCP for about 3 years and it worked pretty well. But I'm a lot older now, and more concerned about side effects. There's always accutane, but I'm REALLY skeeved about psychological side effects to that.

Anyone have/had this issue and deal with it effectively? I'm tired of being almost 43 yo and still dealing with adolescent skin :(

pinkmomagain
09-07-2011, 07:01 AM
I recently had a facial and was complaining about my clogged pores and occasional cystic acne. She said that she's known many clients who have been helped by taking about 50 mg of zinc everyday.

Well I've been doing it for about a month now, and although my pores aren't perfect, I can say I haven't gotten one of my bad cystic blemishes since I've started. So, you may want to look into it.

maestramommy
09-07-2011, 07:12 AM
I recently had a facial and was complaining about my clogged pores and occasional cystic acne. She said that she's known many clients who have been helped by taking about 50 mg of zinc everyday.

Well I've been doing it for about a month now, and although my pores aren't perfect, I can say I haven't gotten one of my bad cystic blemishes since I've started. So, you may want to look into it.

Hmmm, why do I remember hearing about this remedy? Sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. I'll look into it thanks!

mom2khj
09-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Paula's Choice. (http://www.paulaschoice.com)

Cleanser (I like the skin balancing one), BHA lotion (2%) and Blemish Fighting Solution. Use all three every morning and night. I've tried the same items (salicylic acid and benzoil peroxide) from other brands and for some reason hers just work and the other brands don't. Before this, I tried everything and nothing (except the Accutane I took in college) ever worked.

It has knocked out my cystic acne and keeps it away. If I do get one (rare), they are gone MUCH faster than normal. Consistency is key. I dropped down to just night usage once things were under control and have not had to add back the morning.

It has also helped lighten some of my scars from my teen years.

Pennylane
09-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Same thing here. Once I hit 40 I was having the worst breakouts! My ob put me back on the pill and also prescribed me 100 mg of Doxycycline a day. Once I was on both for a month, breakouts are totally gone! If I happen to miss a few days I will have a break out immediately. I also went to a Dermatologists who suggested using a mild cleanser called Cerave (I've only found it at Walmart) twice a day with an exfoliating glove. She also prescribed me some morning and evening topical cream. I haven't used that in months because the Doxycycline does wonders!

Ann

Pennylane
09-07-2011, 09:00 AM
I also meant to say, my sister experienced the same thing and she swears by Neutrogena on the spot Acne treatment. Check out this website, she swears by his cleaning and treatment routine.

http://acne.org

Ann

toby
09-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Have you been to a dermotologist? For me, that was the key since he was able to give me a regime that was specific to my type of acne. This was awhile ago, but I think that I was on Doxy for a short time to clear it up (or maybe Retin A).

Now I use a prescribed Benzoyl Peroxide (4%) wash which I alternate with Clean and Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser or Eucerin Gentle Hydrating Cleanser (both of which Paula recommends although not as highly as her own!) I don't know if there is a difference in prescribed vs. over the counter Benzoyl, other than the price. I tried Cerave but it didn't feel as though it was cleaning my face. For spot treatment, I use Clean and Clear persa-gel-10 (benzoyl peroxide) or Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Eliminating Spot Gel(salycilic acid). Lotion: Cerave at night, Oil of Olay during the day. I have spent a lot of time on Paula's Beautypedia looking for inexpensive, recommended products.

Also, I think that the derm told me to avoid scrubbing. I would ask him/her if it is possible that the benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid will initially make things worse and then it will get better (maybe try just using a benzoyl peroxide wash instead of the whole regime and experiment with). Also, I would ask his/her opinion on whether the microdermabrasion is recommended.

luckytwenty
09-07-2011, 10:15 AM
I am 37 and on the birth control pill, even though my tubes are tied, because it was the only way for me to avoid/limit acne. Can you check with your doctor about the safety of the pill for your particular situation?

dec756
09-07-2011, 10:33 AM
honestly, accutane is the ONLY thing that has worked afer dumping thousands upon thousands of $$$$..........

artvandalay
09-07-2011, 11:11 AM
but every month like clockwork, my the whole area around my chin and upper lip look like I belong in HS again. It's maddening.

Is this the case now? Or in high school?

I'm asking because if you can accurately pinpoint the days when you breakout (hormonal acne is always chin/jaw - where a man would get a beard) I've read about taking Aleve 4-5 days before you "expect" to get those hormonal breakouts.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Aleve-premenstrual-mid-t114587.html

Haven't tried it myself, because I just stumbled upon it. I am going to do it next month, though. I just started writing down days where I would get a pimple on my chin, and I"m trying to figure out if it occurs during ovulation or the week before AF. I think it's happening the week before AF.

I would not do Accutane just yet - that is basically the last resort. I know BCP would help me but I don't want to go back on it at my age (36) - but that's a personal decision.

My hormonal acne has been bad ever since this summer when I quit nursing and got my periods back. I've been doing lots of reading on hormonal acne. It's very hard to treat topically IMO.

Another thing I have read is quitting dairy. Dairy contains testosterone (the same one responsible for hormonal acne.) I used to drink so much skim milk per day. I'm actually doing an experiment now where I'm going 30 days dairy free to see if it makes a difference. I"m about 2 weeks in and haven't had any new pimples. I am interested in seeing what will happen right before I get my period. If no change in 30 days I will go back to eating dairy.

ETA: Forgot to add, if you do see a derm, they can try Spironolactone/Aldactone. This blocks the hormone responsible for hormonal acne.

DrSally
09-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I would look at accutane as a last resort. I'd much rather be on BCP than accutane. After I was done nursing, I went on the BCP and it helped with my acne. I'm 39, but don't smoke, and the OB said it's also good for perimenopausal sx. Anyway, that's an individual choice.

Since exfoliation seems to help you, Melinda, I'd look at chemical exfoliation rather than mechanical (scrubs). Salicyic acid or BHA products exfoliate the pore (as does Retin A). Paula's choice makes some great ones (I used the gel). She notes on her website that most OTC BHA products are not at the right PH level to be effective, so that's why I buy her stuff. I also use Differin (related to Retin A). It's pretty gentle and also works at exfoliation. This combo works pretty well for me. I would check out this page:
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/best-acne-fighting-products.aspx

maestramommy
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Is this the case now? Or in high school?

I'm asking because if you can accurately pinpoint the days when you breakout (hormonal acne is always chin/jaw - where a man would get a beard) I've read about taking Aleve 4-5 days before you "expect" to get those hormonal breakouts.

Wow, that's interesting! I read your link. I think it's time to make an appt with my dermo. I really HATE doing that because he's always booked months out. Drives me nuts, but he's the only one in the area with openings. I had been seeing him before for itching. Guess I should see him for this before I start taking any meds or supplements.

ETA: okay, managed to snag an appt for 10/27. Not as close as I'd like, but much better than I was fearing.

MaiseyDog
09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Since exfoliation seems to help you, Melinda, I'd look at chemical exfoliation rather than mechanical (scrubs).
I agree. As our skin ages the turnover of skin cells slows leading to clogged pores, this differs from teenage acne which is often clogged as a result of over producton of oil. What has worked for me is using products containing glycolic acid to aid in exfoliation. I like the Jan Marini products. Salisylic acid it too harsh for me now and will overdry my skin causing it to produce more oil to try and compensate. Also, as DrSally said, you want to avoid mechanical exfoliation as that will also stir up oil production.

momof2girls
09-07-2011, 03:16 PM
At age 34 I started taking Spirolactone (sp?) and it has worked wonders for my hormal acne. It's the only thing that has worked and I've tried it alll (except Accutane)..

Aishe
09-07-2011, 03:26 PM
every month like clockwork, my the whole area around my chin and upper lip look like I belong in HS again.

I used to get acne exactly like that, well into my 20s, and Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid changed my life. I literally never get any acne anymore. I've also tried her BHA lotion and gel, but the liquid works best for me. I agree with pps that other salicylic acid products just don't work as well as hers. It doesn't matter what kind of soap I use - as long as I use that BHA product my skin is totally clear.

maestramommy
09-07-2011, 03:33 PM
I used to get acne exactly like that, well into my 20s, and Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid changed my life. I literally never get any acne anymore. I've also tried her BHA lotion and gel, but the liquid works best for me. I agree with pps that other salicylic acid products just don't work as well as hers. It doesn't matter what kind of soap I use - as long as I use that BHA product my skin is totally clear.

Wow, 3rd rec for Paula's choice! Let me look at the site again. Of course it is preferable to use skin care products rather than taking drugs. Just a cursory google on side effects is scary.

3isEnough
09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
At age 34 I started taking Spirolactone (sp?) and it has worked wonders for my hormal acne.

I take that as well and it has worked wonders from where I was previously, but I still get chin breakouts, likely due in part to me wiping my chin of sweat while I workout. I intend to keep taking the Spirolactone, but am also going to check out the Paula's liquid that a PP mentioned.

Adult acne is SO frustruating!!