PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice from experienced air travellers

DietCokeLover
09-07-2011, 10:10 AM
I am flying in about a month with my two DC by myself. This will be a first. They are 3 and 4. DS (3) flew with me in July, but DD (4) has not flown since she was an infant, so this will be new for her.

1. Seating. On 3 of the 4 flights, I was able to book seats like this

window us us aisle us stranger window

What would be the best configuration for us to sit? Kids next to each other and me across the aisle? Kid, me, kid, stranger?

2. On the other flight, I wasn't able to sit us this way. I have the two seats together and then one seat behind those two. Can I call the airlines now and ask for a change so we can all be together, or do I need to wait til I get to the gate and hope they can change it there?

Thanks, I know this is a month away, but I am already having a bit of anxiety about this.

kbud
09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
I'd sit in the middle of them. First of all my 2 kids probably wouldn't get along the whole way together. Also the former flight attendant in me, wants to ensure I could reach each child to put the o2 mask on them if need be. I don't think you could do that with the window child if you are across the aisle. Even though it will be a stranger there it is another adult who could assist if needed.

You will usually need to wait until you get to the airport to change the seat. keep checking on-line though, especially within 24 hours as often times seats open up.

hillview
09-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Call the airlines, keep checking on line. Get to airport early and check at check in and with the gate agent a the gate. Prepare to ask folks when you get on the plane if all else fails. I agree with pp you want to sit between them.
/hillary

DietCokeLover
09-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I'd sit in the middle of them. First of all my 2 kids probably wouldn't get along the whole way together. Also the former flight attendant in me, wants to ensure I could reach each child to put the o2 mask on them if need be. I don't think you could do that with the window child if you are across the aisle. Even though it will be a stranger there it is another adult who could assist if needed.

You will usually need to wait until you get to the airport to change the seat. keep checking on-line though, especially within 24 hours as often times seats open up.

This is what I was thinking too. I know it's a tiny aisle, but it's hard thinking of my baby over there by his or herself!

wolverine2
09-07-2011, 12:02 PM
I'd keep calling the airline but if need be you can ask someone to switch once you're on the plane... you should definitely be in the same row. I'd agree that you should be in the middle- can you put the 4 yr old across the aisle? It's really not that far away... just cross your fingers for a kindly stranger!!

BabbyO
09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I agree with PP's. I've only once had a stranger on a plane NOT willing to move to keep family together. (to be fair, in that one instance...we were all adults flying together - DH, SIL, Me and a adult cousin). Most people will be willing to switch seats if asked, IME.

I'd definitely sit between the kids.

Good luck!