PDA

View Full Version : OT: Quick help--if I melted chocolate too much is there anything I can do?

sidmand
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm trying to make cake pops for the first time but I'm using chocolate buttons to dip them in (melting them first to make just a dark chocolate coating). I've used these buttons before, in fact, I used them a couple of hours ago to make a chocolate trash but those were plain dark chocolate and these are dark chocolate mint and seem to have a lower cooking point. I burned/cooked the first bag so I tried again in the microwave at 30 seconds a shot and stirring but I seem to have overcooked this batch too. :( Not as bad as the first but definitely not a consistency that I can now dip the cake balls in. Is there any recourse (I added some vegetable oil to try and make more liquidy but I know have a bowl of thick chocolate)? I don't have any more chocolate! I do have some pink vanilla buttons but a) not sure how they'll go with the chocolate cake balls and b) I don't want to mess up again!

Do I let them cool off and try again or is this batch a goner too?

american_mama
09-07-2011, 01:09 PM
I did this once too when making cookies with a Hershey kiss in the middle. I tried melted butter and/or oil too - nada. The chocolate tasted burned and was way crumbly, and I think I threw them all out. I just used too high of a heat.

eta: I just understood what you meant by buttons: are there directions for melting on the package?

sidmand
09-07-2011, 02:51 PM
The package said 30 seconds at a time and stir on 50% power. I did cheat a bit with the first batch because it had been okay with the regular dark chocolate but I thought I was following the directions exactly the second time. Clearly I wasn't! Oh well. After I pick everyone up from school I think I need to get some more chocolate and be a lot more careful. Two packages of chocolate in the trash. :(

JoyNChrist
09-07-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't think there is. :( I ruined two bags trying to make cake pops for the twins' birthday party before I got it right.