PDA

View Full Version : bday suggestions for my mom?

echoesofspring
09-07-2011, 02:00 PM
My mom's bday is next week (how did it get to be sept already), and I'd love to get her a little something. I feel like I've run out of ideas, usually it's something from Talbots, her favorite store, or a necklace, which she has too many of. And since she's retired she's not shopping/dressing the way she used to. Last year I just did flowers and a donation in her name to a developing countries education non profit (she's a retired school librarian). She's accompanying me on a trip to Japan in about a month (thanks to you all!), so I'd love to get her something that she could use for the trip. Any suggestions? We aren't really extravagant gift people, we got her a kindle as a thank you for the many weeks she spent living with us/cooking/cleaning/nurturing after I had my c-sect earlier in the year, so I don't want to spend a lot of money (< $50), otherwise my dad might start to get a little jealous ;) TIA!

eh613c
09-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Scarf
Neck rest for the plane ride
Travel bag
Walking shoes (if you're going to be walking a lot in Japan)
A light jacket

Twoboos
09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Gift cert to Shutterfly or similar so she can make a photo album of your trip?

Digital pic frame for trip/family photos?

elbenn
09-07-2011, 02:41 PM
The hanging toiletry bags at LL Bean are awesome. I'm guessing Japan hotel rooms are pretty small, so having a hanging toiletry bag would be useful on the trip. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/51638?feat=2-SR0

crl
09-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Maps and/or guide books for the trip

Catherine

BeachBum
09-07-2011, 03:03 PM
How about a gift card for a Kindle book....and a list of suggested books?

echoesofspring
09-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Thanks everyone! - I think I've got it - Kindle versions of some travel books. And maybe one or two lightweight travel convience (scarf, etc.)