PDA

View Full Version : Swaddles - what is needed

janine
09-07-2011, 04:42 PM
DD#1 did not not like to be swaddled so we did not have (or need) anything other than the generic hospital blanket. A friend did give me a velcro swaddle which was annoying and not successful.

This time around I did buy the A&A swaddles and am thinking of the Woombie. I figure I'd make more effort this time since sleeping happy baby is going to be much appreciated!

Is this overkill (to have both A&A and woombie)?

nrp
09-07-2011, 04:49 PM
I don't know much about the Woombie, but we had great luck with the Miracle Blanket with DD and DS. It has a very slightly higher learning curve than the velcro ones, but less than the A&A blankets (which I also plan to use with DD2).

mjs64
09-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Oh, we had a hard time with the Miracle Blanket and the A&As but loved the Woombie. It does run quite small though, so I'd buy a size up. The Woombie is great because of the zipper--makes diaper changing in the middle of the night much faster and easier.

indigo99
09-07-2011, 05:12 PM
We loved the A&A. We also have a miracle blanket that we didn't use for swaddling b/c I felt it was just too hot for our house once you wrapped it around a few times. We did go out and buy a velcro one around 3 months when he was pulling his arms out of the swaddle, but we never had any success with it. I'd probably just try using what you have first before deciding to buy anything else. We had 4 A&A, and I got a couple more for this baby because some nights we would go through 3-4 with spit-up and diaper leaks.

BayGirl2
09-07-2011, 05:47 PM
I'd try what you have first and see how your baby reacts.

At night we used the Kiddopotomas SwaddleMe http://www.summerinfant.com/Products/Nursery/Swaddle-Me---Speciality-Blankets/SwaddleMe%C2%AE/100--Cotton/SwaddleMe%C2%AE-Cotton-(5).aspx and Halo Sleep Sack Swaddle https://www.halosleep.com/products/detail/27/100_cotton_sleepsack_swaddle/34/100_cotton_sleepsack_swaddle_-_prints/ . Both were really easy to use and kept his arms in. During the day we just used blankets like the A&As.

HonoluluMom
09-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Before DD was born, I bought the Miracle Blanket, Kiddopotamas Swaddle Me, and the A&A blankets.

I didn't care for the Miracle Blanket - I was changing DD's diaper at least once or twice an hour and unwrapping and wrapping was a PIA.

I also ended up using the Kiddopotamas at night and the A&A blankets for daytime swaddling.

Never used the woombie.

amldaley
09-07-2011, 09:10 PM
We LOVED the Miracle Blanket but we swaddled DD feet out. We had two and leant one to a neighbor whose son had terrible colic (and we later learned a rare medical disorder) and they loved it so much, they bought it from us to pass it on to another family member.

You may have to try a few different things before you find what works for you and for baby. Just don't give up on the first one!

carolinamama
09-07-2011, 10:22 PM
We use a Miracle Blanket or SwaddleMe at night with DD and during the day I usually use a Swaddle Designs blanket. I got some A&A blankets to use this time around and I do like them, but I :heartbeat: my Swaddle Designs blankets. They are not cheap but I am using the 2 that we have had since DS1 was a baby and are still in great, cute condition.

viba424
11-08-2012, 09:50 AM
We use a Miracle Blanket or SwaddleMe at night with DD and during the day I usually use a Swaddle Designs blanket. I got some A&A blankets to use this time around and I do like them, but I :heartbeat: my Swaddle Designs blankets. They are not cheap but I am using the 2 that we have had since DS1 was a baby and are still in great, cute condition.

Do you think the cotton swaddleme wraps are sufficient in a midwest winter, or is fleece a must do? We have one fleece swaddleme from DD, and we just bought a cotton one. Seems light but not bad. Dont want DS to overheat either. Just get a couple of each would you say?

lmh2402
11-08-2012, 04:04 PM
we had it all for DS and ended up exclusively using the miracle blanket

he broke out of everything else. including working his hand up to stick his finger out the neck of the woombie and then he would scream

with DD i broke out all my supplies and tried them all... and again, we are only using the miracle blanket. she did the same thing with the woombie - fingers coming up out the neck and then screaming

acmom
11-08-2012, 10:32 PM
We used the kiddopatamus Swaddle me w/ DD and DS. When DS got a little older and was wiggling out, we switched the woombie. We used one of the lightweight woombies with arms that snapped open which helped us transition him away from the swaddle when he got older. Liked both the swaddle me and woombie. Woombie was more expensive and had to order online though.

As far as material, we had both cotton and fleece swaddle me's - in cold weather, we would put a fleece sleeper under the cotton swaddle me or cotton woombie. If we used the fleece swaddle me, we would put a cotton sleeper under it. I think you can make either work in cold weather.

KpbS
11-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Amazing Miracle Blanket--all the way--$ but so worth it.