PDA

View Full Version : Shipping through ebay- Help!

toby
09-07-2011, 05:05 PM
O.K, ebay experts:

I am new to selling things on ebay and need to ship some shirts. In the past, I have gone to the post office and shipped from there, but I am wondering if I should do the ebay label instead (I think that tracking may be included). But, if I don't have a scale at home, I need to go to the post office to weigh anyhow, right?

Thanks!

mom2binsd
09-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Unless you have your own scale (I bought a small one for 4lb and below for 15.00 at Walmart) you will need to go and weigh at post office and then ship from there (or go home and print label but that would be sillly if you're already there.).

Did you quote a shipping price in your listing? It's important to be accurate so that you don't overcharge or undercharge ...if you print from home you can hide the cost of the postage. Ebay postage done at home often included delivery confirmation (for Priority) and it's .19 for First Class. Items under 13 oz can go First Class which is much cheaper.

toby
09-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Thank you!

I have found that it is difficult to calculate shipping because I don't know where it will be going...for instance, I quoted $4.90 and it ended up being almost $6 because the person who bought it is in a different zone (Colorado). I would rather undercharge than overcharge, but I was wondering what most people do. In the past, before sending the invoice, I have changed the shipping to less than originally stated (when combining two things), but I would think that I shouldn't change it to more (as in the Colorado case).

BTW, I never knew that it was less expensive to print your own labels from home and pay online.

citymama
09-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Sorry to hijack, but do you have a link to an inexpensive and accurate scale one could use for shipping? And how do you get the sticky labels for the ebay postage - from the post office or from Staples?

toby
09-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Sorry to hijack, but do you have a link to an inexpensive and accurate scale one could use for shipping? And how do you get the sticky labels for the ebay postage - from the post office or from Staples?

Our post office used to sell scales, but someone else might be able to answer this better.

I just print out the shipping label on my printer (using regular paper)...ebay sets it all up for you- address, postage etc and then you just tape it on the package. The postage amount gets deducted out of your paypal or wherever you set it up to come out from. I think that you can also print out labels at usps.com. At both of these sites, it is less expensive than if you paid at the post office (and tracking is included).

jerigirl
09-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Check ebay. I have an Ultraship 35 and they run around $30. I can't find the seller I used or I would link.
You can use regular paper to print labels and just tape them to the package. (just not over the barcode.)

toby
09-08-2011, 04:52 PM
I have found that it is difficult to calculate shipping because I don't know where it will be going...for instance, I quoted $4.90 and it ended up being almost $6 because the person who bought it is in a different zone (Colorado). I would rather undercharge than overcharge, but I was wondering what most people do. In the past, before sending the invoice, I have changed the shipping to less than originally stated (when combining two things), but I would think that I shouldn't change it to more (as in the Colorado case).

Can anyone answer this?

mezzona
09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
i usually calculate using zone 8. hawaii is always in zone 8 unless you're shipping from hawaii. for reference you can use 96814 which is in honolulu. hth.

citymama, i got my scale on the usps online store. it was the 5 lb for ~$20. looks like they don't sell it on the website anymore but your post office might have them.

actually, this is it:
http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Postal-Scales-PS50/dp/B0006FKE8M/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1315517927&sr=1-3

Maggie'sMom
09-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't ship very heavy items, mostly children's clothing, but I use a kitchen scale. Works very well for me, and you can pick one up at Target/Wal-mart/Bed Bath beyond, etc.

pharmjenn
09-09-2011, 02:53 AM
Will most of the stuff you sell fit in flat rate envelopes or boxes? That makes it pretty easy, and I think what many people do. So shirts could probably fit in a flat rate envelope, since there are about 3 different sizes for $4.95. Then the medium boxes are around $10.

KrisM
09-09-2011, 06:37 AM
I use an UltraShip 35 scale as well. Around $30-35 should get you a decent scale. I like that I have a hold button on the display and that the display comes off so I can weigh bigger items.

If you use calculated shipping on ebay, you'll enter the weight and when the buyer enters the zip code, the shipping price displayed to that buyer will be calculated based on your zip to their zip. So, 1 lbs 2 oz from MI to MI would show $5.xx, but to CA would show $8.xx. You don't want to enter an amount, just the weight and dimensions.

If you're doing even a small amount, I'd recommend a scale. You can then print at home and have the USPS pick them up from your porch. Can't beat it. Or, you could look into Flat Rate and see if that's reasonable. Most clothes would go well. I rarely use the FR boxes though.