PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular opinions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

wellyes
09-08-2011, 08:34 AM
I think Kanye West is a genius. His talent and intelligence are more important than him being a twit.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me on that here :) but anyone have equally improbable opinions to share??

hillview
09-08-2011, 08:41 AM
I like rap -- I think Eminem is very clever lyrically.

SnuggleBuggles
09-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Re. Kanye. Talented, indeed. I try and put aside that he's an egotistical jerk (or at least does a good job portraying one to the media). eta- Eminem too!

I'm sure I have plenty of them an other posters will probably say them.

Unpopular per this board- bring on the plastic toys. Batteries? Not an issue either!

Beth

lhafer
09-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I love rap music. Love Eminem and Kayne, and many others. I just love to listen to Busta Rhymes to just see if I can understand what he's saying....it awes me to hear a person talk so fast. Here's a video of him rapping with Chris Brown, you can cut in at 1:35 and get to Busta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyLR4NfMiI

I also love tv. So do my kids. We aren't couch potatoes, and it's not on ALL day - but when it is, it's HGTV, the FoodNetwork, or Disney/Nick Jr/etc.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-08-2011, 09:17 AM
nice thread.

let's see here..

i don't have an issue with plastic toys

i buy prepackaged foods sometimes and use paper plates when i'm swamped (which seems pretty often these days!)

i think PBS Kids TV is the best.invention.ever. DS loves Dinosaur Train and Sesame Street. Sometimes its the only way i can eat a meal.

and we (DH & I) love TV too. we have one in our bedroom, and usually watch at least an hour a night in bed. usually more during the season. bring it on.

i buy/drink lots of water bottles. :bag though i keep meaning to get Sparkletts or whatever service so i don't have to buy as many

i tend to often ignore that "for 3 and up" warning on many toys. DS doesn't put stuff in his mouth anymore (unless he knows its food). plus, IMO that warning is soooo overused. I just bought a Thomas DVD had that 3+ choking hazard warning. WTF? how do you choke on a DVD, or even the case?

oh, and I love, LOVE that show "Two and Half Men". Yes, vulgar and crass but freakin' HILARIOUS. I'm sad Charlie Sheen went psycho and wont' be on the show anymore. I'm sure it won't be the same.

fortato
09-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Mean kids come from mean parents.

Seeing it first hand in kindergarten.

bubbaray
09-08-2011, 09:27 AM

:yeahthat: The apple never falls far from the tree, unfortunately.

I'm OK with my kids watching the news and TV in general. I'd never get a shower otherwise.

My kids love activities, lots of 'em. Bring on the schedule. They want more, we are always saying no to adding stuff.

My girls know the words to most AC/DC and Nickleback songs (thanks DH). Ditto Glee songs.

Oh, and my girls :heartbeat: yoga pants.

crl
09-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Homework is a bad idea altogether in grade school.

More recess is better.

If my kid isn't cold, he doesn't need a jacket.

Catherine

ETA. Oh, and unpopular here--holding my kid back a year before starting K was a good thing for him and for his teachers and classmates.

crl
09-08-2011, 09:35 AM

I am really starting to believe this.

Catherine

Nicsmom
09-08-2011, 09:37 AM
1. I'm ok with my kids watching tv. I try to limit it, but honestly, I don't know what I would do without it. Same thing with videogames.

2. This one is very unpopular but I believe picky eaters are partly the parents' fault. Giving them so many choices, always asking them what they want to eat, and giving up when a child says he/she does not like something, limits the foods they are exposed to and therefore the foods they like.

3. I also believe Eminem is a genius.

4. I dislike children's menus in restaurants.

lmintzer
09-08-2011, 09:37 AM
When we had ants in our kitchen last month, I called an exterminator. No natural remedies for me--I wanted the ants OUT. I'll take my chances with the poison!

pinkmomagain
09-08-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm OK with:

TV (any shows designed for kids and in addition, my older kids watch glee, bravo, etc.)
Bikinis with decent coverage
Pretty much any song on the radio
Barbies
Scheduled activities
Gas guzzling SUVs
Bottled water

Hmmmm...I'm sure there is more...

JTsMom
09-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Jason has a TV in his room and I refuse to feel guilty about it. Sometimes I let him fall asleep watching it b/c it's about the only way to keep him in bed without actually sitting in there with him.

MelissaTC
09-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Amen sister. I have witnessed it now for over 4 grades and they just seem to get worse.

MelissaTC
09-08-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't like long hair on women after a certain age. And when I say long, I mean past the shoulders, half way down the back.

I am also not a fan of gray hair on younger women. Dye it! I do!

Nicsmom
09-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't like long hair on women after a certain age. And when I say long, I mean past the shoulders, half way down the back.

I agree with this.

mommylamb
09-08-2011, 10:03 AM
2. This one is very unpopular but I believe picky eaters are partly the parents' fault. Giving them so many choices, always asking them what they want to eat, and giving up when a child says he/she does not like something, limits the foods they are exposed to and therefore the foods they like.

See that's funny because my unpopular opinion is the exact opposite. If my child doesn't want to eat something, I won't force him. I didn't like most veggies as a kid and I grew to like them on my own and now I'm not picky at all. This isn't a battle I'm picking.

Nicsmom
09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
See that's funny because my unpopular opinion is the exact opposite. If my child doesn't want to eat something, I won't force him. I didn't like most veggies as a kid and I grew to like them on my own and now I'm not picky at all. This isn't a battle I'm picking.

In my case, there is no battle because my kids eat everything. Well, DS1 eats everything and DS2 is a bit more selective but eats foods that most kids would not. When they have said they don't like something I ask them to at least try it (and I'll ask them to try it again in other occassions, not just once, because I read that it takes something like 7-8 tries to develop a taste for something). That's where my opinion comes from. I think my opinion is unpopular because most of my friends always ask their children what they want to eat for every meal and snack, and I'm the kind of mother who cooks for the whole family and the kids have to eat what is on the table. We all eat the same thing - no special food for the kids. And I've found this to be very uncommon.

HIU8
09-08-2011, 10:42 AM
In my case, there is no battle because my kids eat everything. Well, DS1 eats everything and DS2 is a bit more selective but eats foods that most kids would not. When they have said they don't like something I ask them to at least try it (and I'll ask them to try it again in other occassions, not just once, because I read that it takes something like 7-8 tries to develop a taste for something). That's where my opinion comes from. I think my opinion is unpopular because most of my friends always ask their children what they want to eat for every meal and snack, and I'm the kind of mother who cooks for the whole family and the kids have to eat what is on the table. We all eat the same thing - no special food for the kids. And I've found this to be very uncommon.

I have one kid who eats EVERYTHING and one who is very very picky. I did the same for both. I tell them what dinner is. DD just eats it. DS will ask for a different protein or to have his sans sauce, breading etc.... I'm ok with that b/c he will eat at least part of what was made for the family and I only have to now alter the protein for him (but it's not a totally different meal for him).

I am OK with TV
I am OK with McD's if we are in a rush (or as a special treat--but this is not that often)
I'm ok with plastic toys and batteries
I'm ok with allowing DS to play Wii
I'm ok that I redshirted DS (even though it's probably one of the most hotly debated topics these days)
If the kids are not cold they do not need a coat
I'm ok with barbie etc... type of toys
I'm ok with ninja fighting toys (shows)
I'm ok with Spongebob
I'm ok with breakfast for dinner (not cereal, but eggs, toast etc...)

Kindra178
09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Love Eminem and Jay Z (concert last year in Detroit was one of my favorite nights in my life). Kanye, The Game, Biggie and Dre too. I am always impressed with the poetry of rap. It is more than the rhyming, it's the command of the language, ability to tell a story and crazy analogies ("I pack heat like the oven door.")

Cool with tv as well. Personally, MTV Challenges are my favorite nights of the week.

DS is in the second week of K, and I wish I redshirted him.

mommylamb
09-08-2011, 11:17 AM

See, and in my experience yours is the more socially supported parenting philosophy, and I'm sure there are many who think I'm somehow doing my child a disservice by not requiring him to try something over and over again. IMO that sort of thing can backfire, and I'd rather use my political capital with him in other ways. Maybe it didn't backfire for you, but as you said, you've never had to battle with your kids about it. It's just not where I'm going to direct my attention. So I'm not sure which of us has the unpopular opinion, just that we have different opinions about this topic and parent accordingly.

BabyBearsMom
09-08-2011, 11:21 AM
See, and in my experience yours is the more socially supported parenting philosophy, and I'm sure there are many who think I'm somehow doing my child a disservice by not requiring him to try something over and over again. IMO that sort of thing can backfire, and I'd rather use my political capital with him in other ways. Maybe it didn't backfire for you, but as you said, you've never had to battle with your kids about it. It's just not where I'm going to direct my attention. So I'm not sure which of us has the unpopular opinion, just that we have different opinions about this topic and parent accordingly.

:yeahthat: I also think if you force the issue with kids it can create a backlash. I had a friend in college whose mom never let them have any junk food and forced them to eat a very healthy diet. She gained 60lbs freshman year because all she ate was the junk her mom wouldn't let her eat. The food become a power point. I find the same with my DD. If I try to force her to eat something she doesn't like, she fights it harder. If I just ignore it, offer the food again in a few days, she goes for it again (granted we aren't at the terrible 2's or 3's yet).

Also, as someone who suffered a fairly severe eating disorder a few years ago, I think it is so important to create a healthy relationship with food. Feeling forced to eat can set people up for an unhealthy relationship with food, imho.

jse107
09-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Okay with tv.
Redshirted my oldest. (NO REGRETS)
I let my 7 yo ride his bike all around our neighborhood unsupervised.

KrystalS
09-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Awesome thread! I often don't post because I feel like so many ppl here are way different than me!
Love Eminem

I love tv and my kids also watch often! No we don't sit on the couch all day, I have to drag my DD inside when its time for dinner/bath/bed.

My DD has a tv in her room

ITA with the mean kids come from mean parents, I have also witnessed it over and over!

We love plastic toys/batteries. Many of the more expensive wood toys I have bought don't get played with at all!

My DD hates jeans and wears yoga/sweat pants all winter. I also wear yoga pants majority of the time!

I give my DS cough medicine when needed. He NEEDS to sleep!

ETA: Had to add after the PP, I also let my 7yo play outside in our neighborhood unsupervised. I can't be outside ALL the time!

soontobe
09-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I feel like an idiot-what is redshirted?

o_mom
09-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I feel like an idiot-what is redshirted?

Not sending a child to Kindergarten on time. Basically, holding them back a year.

The term "red-shirted" comes from college sports where they can designate incoming freshmen as 'red-shirts' and not play them the first year while keeping four additional years of eligibility.

Twoboos
09-08-2011, 12:05 PM
I listened to Howard Stern until DD1 was 16 or 18mos old and really starting to pick up words, and Howard moved to XM. I still miss him!!

ETA: My opinion is that while he's definitely crude, he's VERY intelligent and thought provoking. Talk about opinions - he's certainly got 'em!

dogmom
09-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I have one hugely unpopular opinion that I can only share with my DH because it is so unpopular. These are pretty "mild" unpopular opinions, since many of them are in the main stream.

AnnieW625
09-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I agree that Kanye West, and Eminem are geniuses but I absolutely refuse to buy their albums due to their opinions on things, and actions in real life. Chris Brown is on the same scale too.

I still listen to the Dixie Chicks and have no real huge problem with Natalie Maines speaking her mind on George Bush, it's her right and she did at a concert, had she done it at the Oscars then she'd be in the same camp as Kanye West.

As much as I love Toby Keith his song American Life really bothers me because there are so many people who live here who love America that weren't born in the USA and are just as proud to be American citizens and it doesn't mean they don't work as hard as those who were born there.

Agree that mean kids come from mean parents

National chain restaurants IMHO are the last resort for places I will eat; I much prefer hole in the wall places or local chains.

I love my Tupperware

I don't trust my 5 yr. old with a $60 Planet Box lunch set

I will only be able to have a playroom, an indoor laundry room with a closet, and a second bedroom if I inherit a large sum of money and or win the lottery.

I don't mind having a car payment, but it's got to be less than $500 a month

We drive our cars until they die

I don't like Chipotle, or even Chikfila.

TwinFoxes
09-08-2011, 12:23 PM
My unpopular opinion is this thread is a little passive aggressive. :duck:

But just so I'm not a total spoilsport, I'll also say that I think people are a little over the top with judging parents by the photos they post of their kids in car seats. I've posted pics of my kids in car seats which if anyone (here) saw they would gasp, but then I put down the camera and adjust their straps. Just chill people, it's a snapshot in time.

jse107
09-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Agreed, but I don't want to hurt peoples feelings with some of my opinions. Plus, even if it's my opinion, it may not change the way I respond to certain situations or people. That's why I keep it to myself.

crl
09-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I have one hugely unpopular opinion that I can only share with my DH because it is so unpopular. These are pretty "mild" unpopular opinions, since many of them are in the main stream.

I think it also depends on where you live. I live in SF where Chinese mothers bundle their kids up like it is the arctic when it is only 40 degrees out (I know this is a stereotype, but every Chinese mother I have known laughs and agrees with me while they still do it!). And parents in general here support homework, in fact some ask teachers to assign more!

Catherine

janine
09-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm ok with TV for my toddler. My toddler goes to bed very late (but sleeps in). She also was formula fed and I let her drink juice. She slept with a bumper in her crib (after certain age). She seems to have had no negative effects from any of these unpopular things - in fact quite the opposite.

I am also a Republican.

I am probably going to be banned soon!

AnnieW625
09-08-2011, 12:27 PM
My unpopular opinion is this thread is a little passive aggressive. :duck:

But just so I'm not a total spoilsport, I'll also say that I think people are a little over the top with judging parents by the photos they post of their kids in car seats. I've posted pics of my kids in car seats which if anyone (here) saw they would gasp, but then I put down the camera and adjust their straps. Just chill people, it's a snapshot in time.

:yeahthat:

I should add I didn't feel bad that I ff'd DD1 at 12 months old because I didn't know any better (although DD2 will be RFing until at least 2/1/2 in one car, and at least 3 in the other), and now at 5 yrs. old she is happily in a Graco Turbo Booster (highback) doing quite well in it and I don't miss harnessing her at all.

geochick
09-08-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll play.

I wish my kids' school wasn't doing a Remember September 11 assembly tomorrow. They're much too young to be able to handle it.

momof2girls
09-08-2011, 12:34 PM
I FFed both DDs at 12 months. However, in 2004 I beleive that was the standard

They were both bottle-fed (and are VERY healthy)

I didn't like that my kids were taught about MLK in Kindy b/c up until then they did not notice a difference in skin color until it was brought up in school.

Sometimes they eat eggs for diner.

lovin2shop
09-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Hmmm, see I'm afraid to post my unpopular opinions on here, because I think that would make me well, unpopular!

rlu
09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
We eat prepackaged food.

fortato
09-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Hmmm, see I'm afraid to post my unpopular opinions on here, because I think that would make me well, unpopular!

Go for it!

If people don't like it, they can keep their opinion to themselves!!! They don't HAVE to read or reply to this thread!!

Green_Tea
09-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I had no idea that feeding you you kids eggs for dinner was controversial!

My unpopular opinion is that I think many upper/middle class, college educated parents micro-manage their kids' teachers to the point where teachers can barely do their jobs. Unless your child has some sort of diagnosis or special need (autism, dyslexia, etc.) or you are dealing with a grossly incompetent teacher, your child does not need you to be their "advocate." What they need is for you to form a partnership with the teacher through which you work together for your child to achieve as much as possible. Sometimes you will disagree with the teacher's approach or not like their personality. Get over it. Second guessing everything a teacher does and sending an endless stream of emails questioning every decision they make is distracting and keeps the teacher from doing their actual job, which is teaching your child.

wencit
09-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I think Lady Gaga is a genius and LOVE her music.

(I also love Eminem, Kanye, and Usher for that matter, too.)

rolypoly27
09-08-2011, 12:53 PM
I love Eminem, Jay-Z, and Kanye. They are geniuses in my book.

Am I the only person in America that doesn't like Katy Perry? Her songs are really catchy but I don't understand all the hype.

fortato
09-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I love Eminem, Jay-Z, and Kanye. They are geniuses in my book.

Am I the only person in America that doesn't like Katy Perry? Her songs are really catchy but I don't understand all the hype.

I like Katy Perry, but I don't get Ke$ha. What is her talent again?

jse107
09-08-2011, 12:58 PM
i had no idea that feeding you you kids eggs for dinner was controversial!

My unpopular opinion is that i think many upper/middle class, college educated parents micro-manage their kids' teachers to the point where teachers can barely do their jobs. Unless your child has some sort of diagnosis or special need (autism, dyslexia, etc.) or you are dealing with a grossly incompetent teacher, your child does not need you to be their "advocate." what they need is for you to form a partnership with the teacher through which you work together for your child to achieve as much as possible. Sometimes you will disagree with the teacher's approach or not like their personality. Get over it. Second guessing everything a teacher does and sending an endless stream of emails questioning every decision they make is distracting and keeps the teacher from doing their actual job, which is teaching your child.

amen sister!

sdrew99
09-08-2011, 12:59 PM
My unpopular opinion is that I think many upper/middle class, college educated parents micro-manage their kids' teachers to the point where teachers can barely do their jobs. Unless your child has some sort of diagnosis or special need (autism, dyslexia, etc.) or you are dealing with a grossly incompetent teacher, your child does not need you to be their "advocate." What they need is for you to form a partnership with the teacher through which you work together for your child to achieve as much as possible. Sometimes you will disagree with the teacher's approach or not like their personality. Get over it. Second guessing everything a teacher does and sending an endless stream of emails questioning every decision they make is distracting and keeps the teacher from doing their actual job, which is teaching your child.

Yes, THIS! I live in an upper middle class area, and I see this ALL THE TIME. I, in fact, feel bad for the teachers at our school because I know that their biggest headache is the parents...not the students. My son has a special need (type 1 diabetes) which requires some extra attention at school, but I am very conscious of not overstepping and being demanding.

I had to chuckle when talking to our school nurse the other day. Apparently in our district, our elementary school has the HIGHEST number of nurse visits out of any other school. I asked the nurse why she thought this was...and she answered very diplomatically, but basically it's because the kids in our area are used to being coddled and run to the nurse for every little thing. Interesting socioeconomic observation, I think....

hellokitty
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
My kids like plastic toys more than wooden toys. Hey, I tried.

I don't get the boden/HA obsession at ALL here on on BBB and I feel like I am the only one who feels this way. It's just too expensive.

I don't like train tables and always try to talk ppl out of getting one.

Annie, I don't trust my kids with a $60 planet box either and I've been doing bento boxes for yrs. We can be unpopular together, lol.

I am one of the only ppl on this board who isn't all gung ho about my kids being into team sports and thinking that sports will automatically be a wonderful self esteem boosting experience for them. I had quite the opposite experience myself as a kid, so am not being pushy about my kids being in team sports, but focusing more on sports that they can enjoy for a lifetime, which IMO tend to be non-team sports (ie: running, golf, etc.).

I do not like my learning tower, it is a space hog and my children act like monkeys on it. It's been sitting in junk room for almost 3 yrs.

I am ok with toddlers and tv (as long as it is age appropriate).

Boy clothes suck. Yes, you see me b*tch about it often and usually maybe only one other person pipes in to agree. You are lying to yourself if you think that boy clothes is just as cute as girl clothes. It's not and boy moms get the shaft in this dept (esp mom to only boys, who will never get to buy for a dd) and no, I don't think that the boden boys clothes that cute, b/c every time I mention this, ppl say to get the boden boy stuff.

It's ok to be disappointed about not getting a son or daughter. No, you shouldn't, "just be happy that your children are healthy." I understand that, or course we want healthy babies, but it's belittling to blow off women who feel regret that they did not get a daughter or son. It is the type of grief that reaches into the depth of you, the loss of a son/daughter that you always envisioned having.

Trigglet
09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Ooh, this seems to be a very cathartic thread!!

Let's see...erm

Okay, here's my big one - I think religion is the cause of a disproportionate amount of the trouble in the world -and in particular, religious men. There, I said it. :duck:

Given where I live at the moment, this is a very unpopular opinion, and one I have to keep to myself almost all the time. At home in the UK, not so much ;)

What else that's less inflammatory?

I hate the way the news is presented (dumbed down and invested with emotional interpretations that are utterly inappropriate) in the vast majority of cases (except PBS/BBC).

I think a good proportion of people are too stupid/ill-informed to vote and are unable to understand what is genuinely in their own interests/the interests of society.

I think some people shouldn't have children.

Nope. Clearly I only have inflammatory opinions!!

Nicsmom
09-08-2011, 01:31 PM

You're right, maybe I feel my parenting philosophy is unpopular because it's not common among my friends, but in other circles it may be the more socially supported philosophy. Also, I want to clarify something: I do not think picky eaters are the parents' fault, I think sometimes (I said "partly" in my original posting but I meant sometimes and in part) giving children only what they want to eat does not encourage them to try and like other things, thus they may become more picky eaters.

I hope this clarification will make me a bit less unpopular.

ashleybama24
09-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Ooh, this seems to be a very cathartic thread!!

Let's see...erm

Okay, here's my big one - I think religion is the cause of a disproportionate amount of the trouble in the world -and in particular, religious men. There, I said it. :duck:

Given where I live at the moment, this is a very unpopular opinion, and one I have to keep to myself almost all the time. At home in the UK, not so much ;)

What else that's less inflammatory?

I hate the way the news is presented (dumbed down and invested with emotional interpretations that are utterly inappropriate) in the vast majority of cases (except PBS/BBC).

I think a good proportion of people are too stupid/ill-informed to vote and are unable to understand what is genuinely in their own interests/the interests of society.

I think some people shouldn't have children.

Nope. Clearly I only have inflammatory opinions!!

Oh we would be good friends in real life Trigglet!

I think Autism is this era's ADD/ADHD. Not that these aren't real diseases but I think too many kids are misdiagnosed. Some kids are just shy or have more energy than others.

I don't know a single parent in real life who FF'd their kids past a year.

I loathe children who won't sit still at a restaurant. I'm not talking about a baby or toddler but CHILDREN. If you are old enough to go to school and sit all day at a desk then you are capable of spending 20 minutes in a chair eating and not running around screaming because you are bored. I think this is largely a result of bad parenting. And don't even get me started on kids menus. Children in other countries are capable of eating real food, with real silverware at a table so American children must be capable too if we just held them to that level of expectation.

I wish that my children would be able to play numerous sports in school and not have to pick one activity by kindergarten otherwise risk not making the team in HS because they didn't practice year round their entire lives.

BDKmom
09-08-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't get the boden/HA obsession at ALL here on on BBB and I feel like I am the only one who feels this way. It's just too expensive.

Boy clothes suck. Yes, you see me b*tch about it often and usually maybe only one other person pipes in to agree. You are lying to yourself if you think that boy clothes is just as cute as girl clothes. It's not and boy moms get the shaft in this dept (esp mom to only boys, who will never get to buy for a dd) and no, I don't think that the boden boys clothes that cute, b/c every time I mention this, ppl say to get the boden boy stuff.

I had never heard of Boden or HA until this board, and really don't get it. This stuff just does not appeal to me.

And boy clothes do suck. Any store you walk into has 3 racks of boy stuff and 500 racks of girl stuff. Do they not think boys need variety, too? No, they can just wear the same three tshirts every day. Last month my DH sent me out to buy new stuff for DS just because he was tired of looking at him in the same thing since it warmed up in the spring. But his stuff is still all same song, different verse.

And while I'm at it, I don't like the sayings on shirts that give attitude. "I'm the boss", "I'm the coolest", "My mom is hot" (I mean, that one just creeps me out). And I don't like skulls on kids clothes.

OK, that's all I can think of for now. :)

citymama
09-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Homework is a bad idea altogether in grade school.

More recess is better.

I totally agree, but I don't see how these are unpopular opinions!

twowhat?
09-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I would eat 80% of the items posted in "Keep or Toss".

AnnieW625
09-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Thought of another one I am a bad tipper and don't think I have ever tipped a hair stylist more than 15%, it's usually just 10% and I get the same great haircut every time.

I can't stand animal prints like cheetah or leopard on baby clothes and even most older kids clothes unless it's pjs. I also want to know what executive at Gymboree greenlighted the whole hedgehog on everything for the fall line. I just don't get it.

I don't like kids dressed in head to toe Gymbo; it's just too much IMHO.

:yeahthat: x1000! (infinity really! we need an icon for that!)

I hate it when parents don't let their adult child choose their college or the college major and dissuade them from going to jr. college first because it's beneath them even though they'd be able to get into their first choice of school if they did that.

Me too. I have put yogurt back in the fridge after it has sat in an insulated lunch bag all day.

g-mama
09-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I had never heard of Boden or HA until this board, and really don't get it. This stuff just does not appeal to me.

And boy clothes do suck. Any store you walk into has 3 racks of boy stuff and 500 racks of girl stuff. Do they not think boys need variety, too? No, they can just wear the same three tshirts every day. Last month my DH sent me out to buy new stuff for DS just because he was tired of looking at him in the same thing since it warmed up in the spring. But his stuff is still all same song, different verse.

And while I'm at it, I don't like the sayings on shirts that give attitude. "I'm the boss", "I'm the coolest", "My mom is hot" (I mean, that one just creeps me out). And I don't like skulls on kids clothes.

OK, that's all I can think of for now. :)

:bighand::bighand::bighand: YES!

I am so sick of my boys' clothes. I go through phases where I like their stuff okay, but more often? I am BORED. TO. TEARS. Who told every stinkin' clothing manufacturer to go crazy with the skulls?!?! I am trying really hard right now to find clothes for my almost-11-yo ds and I can't find a damn thing I like. Either it's too babyish or it's way too old or nasty-looking, along the lines of "My mom is hot" or "You can't handle my awesomeness."

Shoot me now.

crl
09-08-2011, 01:58 PM
I totally agree, but I don't see how these are unpopular opinions!

I think it really depends on your crowd. DS school has a lot of parents who are pretty focussed on achievement. So they favor MORE homework and don't want to waste time in recess when the kids should be working, yk?

Catherine

TwinFoxes
09-08-2011, 01:59 PM

:yeahthat: So true. And I don't ever remember getting "food poisoning".

Also, as a girl mom, you all are right, boy clothes TOTALLY suck and it's so much fun shopping for girls. Sorry. :tongue5:

rolypoly27
09-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I can't stand animal prints like cheetah or leopard on baby clothes and even most older kids clothes unless it's pjs.

I agree. I dislike any type of animal print, even on clothes/purses/shoes for myself. But I dislike them even more on baby/kids clothes.

jren
09-08-2011, 02:05 PM
:
Also, as a girl mom, you all are right, boy clothes TOTALLY suck and it's so much fun shopping for girls. Sorry. :tongue5:

Well, until they size out of Little Girl's sizes around age 6 or 7, then you're apparently supposed to dress your daughter like she's going to a nightclub instead of school.

Uno-Mom
09-08-2011, 02:06 PM
I totally agree about the passive-aggressive thing. Oh well, sometimes it's fun! :)

(1) My child wears 2nd hand shoes. They don't seem to be doing her any terrible harm.
(2) I truly don't believe that my personal choices will decide the fate of this planet. I will make my choices based on convenience and frugality, not "environmentalism."
(3) I'm a fan of child-free zones. (Within reason.)

Those are fairly benign. I will keep my truly unpopular opinions to myself...

hellokitty
09-08-2011, 02:08 PM
:bighand::bighand::bighand: YES!

I am so sick of my boys' clothes. I go through phases where I like their stuff okay, but more often? I am BORED. TO. TEARS. Who told every stinkin' clothing manufacturer to go crazy with the skulls?!?! I am trying really hard right now to find clothes for my almost-11-yo ds and I can't find a damn thing I like. Either it's too babyish or it's way too old or nasty-looking, along the lines of "My mom is hot" or "You can't handle my awesomeness."

Shoot me now.

I went in my local TCP during their 40% off sale last wk. Except I misunderstood the sign. I got up the cash register with a few boy items (TCP boy clothes suck, unless I am buying bottoms or a plain/striped polo shirt), and found out that none of the stuff I picked out was 40% off. So, I asked her what WAS 40% off. She said, the racks that say "40% off." Well, guess what there was NO (big) boy rack with 40% off stuff, just baby/little boy stuff! I was pretty PO'd and just left the store grumbling under my breath. The girls had a nice 40% off rack, nothing for the boys and the employee didn't even know this until I pointed out to her the lack of a BOYS sales rack. Wtf? It keeps getting worse and worse as my boys get older, the clothes keep getting uglier and uglier and more inappropriate (the % of tops with dumba$$ sayings is pretty high in the boys dept). I guess they will just be stuck wearing jeans and plain t-shirts, b/c I don't want them to look like idiots by wearing self-depreciating shirts or shirts that make them look like jerks.

weech
09-08-2011, 02:11 PM
DS has multiple pieces of clothing with skulls and/or skulls and crossbones... and I have a skull and crossbones tattoo :D

icunurse
09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Saying that you are just outspoken or "honest" or standing up for your child when, in reality, you are just being a byatch. Have met a lot of those in recent years IRL. They can just go on fooling themselves....everyone is on to them.

smilequeen
09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Well, I guess my unpopular opinion is that boys clothes don't suck. Fortunately, I've had many girl moms tell me my boys cute clothes make them want a baby boy :) I'll just be proud that I'm good at something that apparently most people think must be awful.

pinkmomagain
09-08-2011, 02:23 PM
I am one of the only ppl on this board who isn't all gung ho about my kids being into team sports and thinking that sports will automatically be a wonderful self esteem boosting experience for them. I had quite the opposite experience myself as a kid, so am not being pushy about my kids being in team sports, but focusing more on sports that they can enjoy for a lifetime, which IMO tend to be non-team sports (ie: running, golf, etc.).

I feel the same as you in this regard. You are not alone!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-08-2011, 02:26 PM
i just thought of a few more

i don't think it's a big deal if some fancier restaurants want to become childfree. i'm not offended at all. in fact, i think it's a good idea. then maybe those folks who are so anti-kids would go to those restaurants instead of complaining about kids being in family-friendly restaurants!

i don't make a big deal about my kids having to eat organic, healthy stuff all the time. i do avoid giving them juice and processed foods but that's about it...i don't stress over it. yesterday i was out running errands and the sitter made Kraft Mac & Cheese for DS' lunch. I was extremely grateful bc DS actually LOVED it and ate so much of it. DS has been really picky lately (never really wanting to eat much). I've tried the other organic/healthy versions of mac n cheese and IMO they are just not as tasty, and DS doesn't like them either. So yeah, i'd rather him eat that than nothing at all.

About the children's pickiness thing, i dunno, i think it's hard to say if you've never had really picky kids. before having kids i too used to think parents these days gave their kids to many choices. now with a picky toddler i totally understand many parents' grief over their kids are not eating. even Toddler411 agrees..you can't make a toddler eat.

oh and i too am not bothered at all by skulls on kids' clothes. or girls wearing bikinis. i used to be very anti-licensed-characters on clothing, but now that's gone to pot since DS is obsessed with Thomas. :)

larig
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
I find some cute boys' clothes, but I will say that there isn't AS MUCH of it as there is for girls. I think for me the prints on boys things aren't appealing. I actually prefer the skulls/crossbones to the fire trucks and military-themed things. (What I hate is that there are like TWO boys' sewing patterns to THIRTY for girls. It's that bad.)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I fully believe in the right to have a safe abortion, I am personally opposed (unless for health reasons), but making something illegal doesn't make it go away, just look at drug use or how well prohibition worked. My personal moral beliefs shouldn't be forced onto others, this country was founded on freedom. Didn't God give us freewill?

I cannot understand the less government conservative argument; if they want to make abortion and gay marriage illegal. Making something illegal IS more government. So is it just less government when it suits your religious and political views?

I agree with PP's religion has caused so many wars and division in this world.

Just because I am liberal agnostic, doesn't mean I am raising a heathen. I am a strict mom. Even a bit old-fashioned. We eat dinner together every night, we rarely eat processed foods, we do not allow the words fat, stupid, hate, hell, etc. in our home. DD isn't allowed to play outside on school nights, we follow a schedule. Manners are very important, I expect my daughter to respect her elders and always have good table manners and be respectful.

I believe marijuana should be legal and taxed, just like booze.

In theory I think welfare recipients should be drug tested, but I cannot see a way of implementing this policy in the real world.

I own several guns, I inherited them from my father. I fully believe in gun rights. Again making something illegal doesn't work.

I would never homeschool my child.

HA clothes are WAY pricy and many patters are too obnoxious, their unders ROCK though. I buy HA from Goodwill. Not used unders, though!

Religion has no place in government. Yes, the founding fathers were Christians, but they wanted religious FREEDOM. For many, moral beliefs are based off of religious beliefs, like abortion.

The best, smartest most well behaved dog I had was 100% Pit Bull. She played with my daughter supervised starting as a newborn.

Parents today are often lazy. Most people I went to HS with disappoint me as parents. I believe you shouldn't swear in front of your kids, let girls dress like trash (Juicy on a little girls butt, skulls, "I'm sassy", heels, etc.), raise your kids in a "gangsta" environment, kids need manners and grammar lessons. Proper grammar and manners, or lack thereof, make me sad. Parents shouldn't get drunk in front of their kids, ever. Or smoke in front of them.

I am a hippie, vegetarian. My daughter is outspoken, as am I. She asked her pre-school teacher how she could eat a turkey and how sad it was a poor turkey was walking around with no parents. I told her that was a comment she should have kept to herself,a nd that everyone has the right to eat what they feel is right. Animals were not meant to be eaten. Why should I think I am better than another living creature with a soul. Why is is disgusting to think of eating a horse, but not a cow? Who made that rule, certainly not cows.

I STILL wonder what the Duggar family carbon footprint is. :duck: Anyone who has been here for a while will remember my post a few years back.

I agree mean children are usually that way because they have mean parents, OR don't get enough attention.

Climate Change, real and mostly human caused. Evolution real. I have a hard time believing the bible, that was written by a human is 100% true. You cannot be 100% unbiased when writing a story. I believe all religions are similar. But different people, in different places, in different eras adapted them to their customs.

I totally own that I am an opinionated person. Let the tomatoes fly!

AnnieW625
09-08-2011, 02:46 PM
:yeahthat: Great job Belle of the Ball. I agree with many of those statements, esp. your first one. I almost posted something similar in my original post. Agree with you about the Duggars and their carbon footprint. Definitely agree about welfare recipients (and workers comp) being drug tested.

DH has a small sporting goods store of guns, and while I usually have many issues with right politics I don't with the right to bear arms. I'd actually like to attend one of the NRA's gun training programs for women, I think it would be interesting.

I will also add another one to a list, I was never on board with nursing a baby or toddler without a cover esp. in a restaurant or in church. A child can take a bottle or cup in those situations or you can nurse with a cover. That's just not something I am comfortable with at all.

Well, until they size out of Little Girl's sizes around age 6 or 7, then you're apparently supposed to dress your daughter like she's going to a nightclub instead of school.

Along those lines I am already dreading buying shoes for my girls if they size out of kids size shoes like I did by the end of the 2nd grade. I don't want my girls looking like teenagers at a club either. I was in a 6 then and I spent the latter part of elementary school wearing sensible mom shoes to elementary school; I hated it! In jr. high it got a little better but by then I was wearing a size 10W and needed to get dress shoes at Naturalizer. I think I was actually relieved that I never went to prom just because I didn't have to buy shoes.

I was telling DH that if I had the financial backing I would totally start a little girls shoe company that made the same style shoes like Pedipeds or See Kai Run in extended sizes up to at least a womens size 8 or 9 for those kids who have big feet.

mommylamb
09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Like some of the other posters, I'm not a fan of religion. It makes me uncomfortable. While I'm not a Marxist, I've always felt their was some truth to the "opiate of the masses" theory. But, I know that a lot of good people get good things from their religions too. It still gives me the creeps.

And I will drink pickle juice on its own out of a glass.

Trigglet
09-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I cannot understand the less government conservative argument; if they want to make abortion and gay marriage illegal. Making something illegal IS more government. So is it just less government when it suits your religious and political views?

Religion has no place in government.

Also, I just thought of another one :D - as a university teacher I am utterly and consistently appalled at the level of spoken and written English of my students. I believe that our obsession with inclusiveness and concern with technology has detracted from these most basic skills. I do not want to see your essay written in 'text speak', and I do not think that just because you and your friends talk like that I should have to read it. We have rules of grammar, spelling and syntax for a reason. If you are too lazy to type the word 'tomorrow' instead of '2moro' in your essay, then maybe you shouldn't be at university. Gah.

citymama
09-08-2011, 03:02 PM
BelleoftheBallFlagstaff - as usual, a big :yeahthat: to everything you posted!

Everything but the Hanna post of course. I am a flaming liberal on all things, but a Hanna conservative. ;)

lablover
09-08-2011, 03:03 PM

You're not alone:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/06/living/teachers-want-to-tell-parents/index.html

Multimama
09-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Here's one from me:

I don't understand why so many people think that giving your child a sibling is a gift. They certainly could be a gift. They also might be the worst thing that ever happened to your child. It's not that I think people shouldn't have more than one kid, but I just don't get the "give my child a sibling" argument as a reason (sometimes even the reason) for having more.

And building off of that: I agree that most of the time mean kids have mean parents. But sometimes mean kids have lovely parents and it's actually those kids who scare me the most.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-08-2011, 03:11 PM
You're not alone:

i saw that article too and i totally agree. i was going to post it here but i feared possible backlash. i don't have kids in school yet, but it really does seem like teachers get criticized all.the.time for doing the littlest things that IMO are not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

i really admire those who are teachers. because i could never do it. for me it would be like having 40 bosses always micromanaging me and breathing down my back and calling me out on every.little.thing. i'd go crazy.

my mom was a preschool teacher for many years and now works as an EI specialist for kids 0-3 and she's always telling me that hands-down, the hardest part of her job is dealing with the PARENTS. she says that working with the kids themselves is extremely rewarding.. however the parents often are the biggest obstacles to the kids' learning and progress. they often refuse to take teachers' advice regarding certain therapies, and/or always blame the teacher when something doesn't go right, or totally blow off certain concerns/suggestions teachers make. i don't know, i would find that incredibly frustrating.

twowhat?
09-08-2011, 03:19 PM
You're not alone:

Yeah, my mom teaches pre-K in a pretty poor part of town. She doesn't have issues like this with the parents. Her parent issues are things like not feeding their kids breakfast before school. So my mom keeps a stash of granola bars, etc in her classroom for the kids who didn't get breakfast. In this sense, she is really able to better enjoy her kids and is always so proud of what they accomplish in a year given that they basically get no help from their parents, who really only care that they're getting a few hours of free childcare. Most of her kids can write their names and several simple words by the end of the preK year, which is saying a lot for these kids who go into school having literally no idea how to properly hold a writing utensil. Which then begs the question - of the two extremes, which of the children are more likely to be successful?

ha98ed14
09-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't understand why so many people think that giving your child a sibling is a gift. They certainly could be a gift. They also might be the worst thing that ever happened to your child. It's not that I think people shouldn't have more than one kid, but I just don't get the "give my child a sibling" argument as a reason (sometimes even the reason) for having more.

:thumbsup: Right there with ya!

ETA: I will even add that there are a lot of things I *can* give my child because she is an only. If DH and I plan appropriately for our end of life years, I see no reason why DD needs a sibling. I feel bad for DNs who are the two middle children of 4 in SIL's kids. They get no individual attention. The youngest in that family spends her life in her car seat in the back of a minivan, dragged hither and yon in pursuit of the older DCs' goals. My unpopular opinion is that I think my DD has a better life as an only.

maylips
09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
I agree with many of these, but I would add one more un-popular opinion.

DWTS, America's Got Talent, blah, blah....all of those shows to me are a big example of the dumbing down of America. I feel like I'm being talked to like a first grader by the hosts of these programs.

jse107
09-08-2011, 03:52 PM
BelleoftheBallFlagstaff - as usual, a big :yeahthat: to everything you posted!

Yes to all of it. Except being a vegetarian.

I also think everyone should learn the English language if they live permanently in this country.

I also think that if you are on welfare that you shouldn't have any more children until you're off welfare.

This coming from an agnostic liberal.

janine
09-08-2011, 03:58 PM

DWTS, America's Got Talent, blah, blah....all of those shows to me are a big example of the dumbing down of America. I feel like I'm being talked to like a first grader by the hosts of these programs.

Yes! And daytime TV, WTH? Maury Povich and those judge shows..I feel brain cells evaporating just passing though the channels..

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-08-2011, 04:04 PM

:yeahthat: Jerry Springer started the downward trend. I think that show was one of the worst things that happened to our society. Meerkat Manor is my kind of reality TV. And Jersey Shore, Real (desperate for attention)Housewives of some rich place, total crap. But, I refuse to watch, so I am judging the show by it's promos, so to speak. I miss shows like The Cosby Show, Growing Pains, etc. I think Hannah Montana and the like are crap.

kmkaull
09-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Former teacher here saying, AMEN

boltfam
09-08-2011, 04:37 PM

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat: Preach it! The parents at the school I taught at pretty much burnt me out of teaching. And it's not that I was incompetent.

bisous
09-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Fun thread. I'm trying not to bristle though. Some of my most precious things, (religion!) are being a little maligned but I realize this is about opinions and as usual on this board everyone is diplomatic and respectful. Love it here!

I'm really AGAINST legalization of drugs. I feel like I'm in a small minority these days. I still think that if we could stave out drug use that we could reduce so much crime! I'm really afraid of what is going on in Mexico and when people say that legalizing pot would reduce crime I'm really, really skeptical!

I personally think that personal convictions (i.e. religious beliefs but it could be just a set of moral beliefs--I know some supremely moral atheists!) are the backbone of a stable society. There will never be enough police men to enforce the laws in a society that doesn't believe in personal responsibility and total integrity in all aspects of life. As such, I actually served a mission for my church when I was 21 years old. I felt like it was the efficient use of my time to make a difference in THIS world!

Enough with the heavy!

I feel like I prescribe to many of the main beliefs on the board. I disagree with some product recommendations--mostly because I don't have a lot of money. It may be a better value to get an expensive product at the outset, but I often get by with lesser quality items. It is just my reality! I think this board trends pretty rich.

You guys do have awesome recommendations, though!

scrooks
09-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Amen! DD can still wear some toddler stuff (4 and 5t ) but even the little girl stuff frightens me a bit!

And ... Yes boys clothes suck! Not nearly as much fun as girl stuff.

And skulls on kids clothes is wrong!

momm
09-08-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't understand the stroller obsession :D I hope I don't get rocks thrown on my head for that :)
I don't understand having more than one (or two) strollers.

I don't feed all organic stuff to DS

We co-sleep - and I nurse to sleep many (most) times :)

maestramommy
09-08-2011, 05:50 PM
This thread is the most fun I've seen in a while! Great to hear everyone's "take your gloves off!" opinions! Let me see...

Green Tea, I did post that letter from teachers to parents on my FB. My kids are just barely in school, but I already saw signs of parental enmeshment there. And as a former teacher in an affluent private school, oh YEAH. All.the.time. Most of the parents were fine. But every year I'd have a fun in with at least one parent. And I was the orchestra teacher! Can't imagine what was happening to the core subject teachers......

I know picky eaters are not necessarily the fault of parents. I KNOW it. But in my house, what I serve is what's for breakfastlunchdinner, and if you don't like it, then don't eat it. But you don't get anything else. And if you want to have dessert, then you have to finish your meal. ALL of it. Even the parts you don't like, of which I gave you a minimal serving. Cause if you're hungry enough for dessert, then you're hungry enough for your meal.

I know you have to pick your battles, and this is one of mine. I don't deprive my kids. They get dessert, fast food, processed food, and juice boxes in specific situations. But *I* decide what's being served because *I* cook it. and *I* know what's in their bests interests when it comes to food. They can eat it, or not.

Oh, and I think Ludacris is hot:tongue5: Even though I can't.stand.rap. Never listened to a word of his "music."

Okay, here's a couple of boiling pots: I don't get the concept of spending $$$ on an idevice for a kid. I just don't. yeah, maybe when they're way older and might actually need something like that, but if I don't need it, why the heck would they? Same for AG doll. I find the idea of shopping at the store and having tea and doing hairstyles as a bonding experience gag inducing, and the amount of money required for this nauseating.

Bring on the flames!

g-mama
09-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't understand the stroller obsession :D I hope I don't get rocks thrown on my head for that :)
I don't understand having more than one (or two) strollers.

And they only ride in a stroller for a few years, right? For me, the idea of buying and selling strollers, which are big and bulky, over and over is unimaginable.

boogiemomz
09-08-2011, 06:00 PM
My personal moral beliefs shouldn't be forced onto others, this country was founded on freedom.

I am a political conservative, and I totally agree with this. One of the serious problems in the Republican party right now is the affiliation with the "Christian right" and politicians' need to cater to this demographic. In fact, I no longer refer to myself as Republican, but as conservative. Libertarian, really.

SO... for starters, in the spirit of the thread, I am a political conservative. And I am sick and tired of being characterized as either greedy and heartless or stupid. I am neither.

I believe that the Christian faith is True (while conceding that there is MUCH that I don't understand and I respect and am awed by the mysteries of God). (Capital-T True) I don't believe that whatever you believe is true "for you." I believe there is one Truth, and that things that conflict with this one Truth are false. You and I cannot know the same person and one of us believes that he is a great tennis player, for example, the other person believe he has never picked up a tennis racket in his life, and these things both be true. It's just not possible. I do believe in religious freedom, but I do not believe in a universalist truth, where whatever you believe is true just because you believe it.

I am appalled by the prices of mini-Boden and HA; I cannot imagine paying $40-60+ for one item of children's clothing that will be outgrown in half a year. (Though I did just make my first order from Boden for me. :))

I also cannot stand the sassy sarcasm on kids' clothes. My kid(s) will never wear that stuff. If necessary, that is a battle I will pick.

I think Lady Gaga is a genius, and I respect Taylor Swift as a legitimate musician.

I drive an SUV and I love it.

I am doing ERF with DD, but I don't really think it's my place to tell anyone else they should be too. Pretty much all my friends turned their kids around at age 1. I haven't said a word to anyone, actually several of them have made comments to me. I'm a mind-your-own-business kind of girl.

This is so liberating!! I'm sure much of this is quite unpopular on this board, but something came over me and I'm feeling all empowered. Take it or leave it. Sure I can think of some more...

wellyes
09-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I think The Middle is better than Modern Family.

I admire Chris Brown's dancing and feel sorry for him since he was so clearly the child of an abuser. I know I shouldn't feel sorry for him but I do.

I don't believe that whatever you believe is true "for you." I believe there is one Truth, and that things that conflict with this one Truth are false.

OK here's my judgmental opinion: I have no patience with the whole "I'm spiritual but not religious" thing. It is fine to be a seeker, but there has to be some rigor ---going to services , tithing, reading the texts, being part of a community even when it's annoying --- if you want the rewards of faith. It strikes me as lazy and self-serving otherwise. And if you don't have faith, any intelligent adult needs to give some thought to why you're here and why you do what you do. Don't be an atheist, that's just about what you DON'T believe; be a secular humanist. Believe something.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-08-2011, 06:37 PM
I am a political conservative, and I totally agree with this. One of the serious problems in the Republican party right now is the affiliation with the "Christian right" and politicians' need to cater to this demographic. In fact, I no longer refer to myself as Republican, but as conservative. Libertarian, really.

SO... for starters, in the spirit of the thread, I am a political conservative. And I am sick and tired of being characterized as either greedy and heartless or stupid. I am neither.

I have many conservative friends,and do not believe most conservatives are greedy, stupid, etc. I can relate most to those that are fiscally conservative. I can see not liking welfare, there are those that abuse it. But I keep thinking of the poor kids that were born to loser parents, it isn't their fault they were born to people that abuse welfare. And since many conservatives do not believe in abortion or welfare, what should happen to those kids? (not address it to boogie mom, just in general).

I see similarities between the very conservative and very liberal. Wanting to live off the grid, growing their own food, homeschooling, making their own detergent, etc. Instead of focusing on differences, I try to focus on similarities. I find myself more conservative in my home life (not allowing character clothes, sassy sayings,tv shows we allow,etv. ) than many of our Republican friends.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-08-2011, 06:44 PM
OK here's my judgmental opinion: I have no patience with the whole "I'm spiritual but not religious" thing. I

I must be lazy then!:wavey: I am spiritual, but believe organized religion is the cause of many issues. The what I believe is right and what you believe is wrong thing. The lack of tolerance and exclusion. So if the Muslim kid in Iraq was born to different parents, in a different place he would go to heaven, but if he dies at 5 years old because he believes what his parent taught him was right will go to hell? Would the Christians born in America be Christian if they were born in Thailand, Japan, Iran ,etc. not likely. So because of where you were born or who you were born to determines going to heaven or hell. All religions believe they are right. Making others wrong. I see too much grey in the world to believe that.

citymama
09-08-2011, 06:57 PM
OK here's my judgmental opinion: I have no patience with the whole "I'm spiritual but not religious" thing. It is fine to be a seeker, but there has to be some rigor ---going to services , tithing, reading the texts, being part of a community even when it's annoying --- if you want the rewards of faith. It strikes me as lazy and self-serving otherwise. And if you don't have faith, any intelligent adult needs to give some thought to why you're here and why you do what you do. Don't be an atheist, that's just about what you DON'T believe; be a secular humanist. Believe something.

Oh honey, you gotta catch up to some of the great religions of the world. Hinduism? It's all about being a seeker. Buddhism? If you see the Buddha on the road, kill him. No services in the religion I grew up with, thank you very much. No tithing - that very term is used in one religion only.

It is not lazy to be spiritual, it is far tougher. And it is tougher to seek a spiritual path than to follow an organized religion and the dictates of clergy.

Why is it organized religion or bust?

Hey, as Calvin (or Calvin and Hobbes fame) says, "math is like religion. You have to believe what they're telling you is true." All bow to the power of math!

So here's one from me: state religion is a bad idea, IMO. Organized religion is the source of many of the world's troubles - not personal religion, but state ordained and clergy dominated religion.

I'm ducking now.

YouAreTheFocus
09-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Awesome to read everyone's unpopular opinions! I agree with many of them!

- Don't get children's menus, kids don't need dumbed down food.
- Love plastic & batt op toys, the noisier the better.
- Boys clothes do suck. I search to the ends of the earth to find cute, age-appropriate clothes for my kid. I think little boys should look like little boys and not like little men.
-My kid had a bumper from day one.
- I never had the slightest bit of interest in breastfeeding. Not 5 yrs before I had a kid, not when I had a kid, not today. Just not for me.
- Not a fan of organized religion or team sports. There are a lot of negative aspects to both.
- I would love no homework & more recess in elems. Kids should have more time to be kids.
- Dh and I eat processed food & watch tv (sometimes at the same time!)

Ok, cutting myself off now. I wish the ppl w/ the "too unpopular to post" claims would come back and let their freak flags fly :)

JoyNChrist
09-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I wish the ppl w/ the "too unpopular to post" claims would come back and let their freak flags fly :)

Okay, I'll share a big one.

Neither DH or I really believes in monogamy.

Not something either of us has acted on yet, and maybe neither of us ever will, but...yeah. ;)

Trigglet
09-08-2011, 07:26 PM
let their freak flags fly :)

Ha ha - I love that phrase - definitely one I'm taking back and using when we go home to the UK!

momof2girls
09-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I can't stand it when BFF says that the reason her kids act up is b/c they are younger than mine...yes, by a whole 3 months!

Can't stand Katey Perry either

I still believe that a man may just live in my house in a secret corner of the basement and is just waiting to pop out and "get" me!

I like to watch Phineas and Ferb even when my kids aren't around.

wellyes
09-08-2011, 07:53 PM
I must be lazy then!:wavey: I am spiritual, but believe organized religion is the cause of many issues. The what I believe is right and what you believe is wrong thing. The lack of tolerance and exclusion. So if the Muslim kid in Iraq was born to different parents, in a different place he would go to heaven, but if he dies at 5 years old because he believes what his parent taught him was right will go to hell? Would the Christians born in America be Christian if they were born in Thailand, Japan, Iran ,etc. not likely. So because of where you were born or who you were born to determines going to heaven or hell. All religions believe they are right. Making others wrong. I see too much grey in the world to believe that.

OK here's the thing. What does it mean to be spiritual then?

I see my Catholic dad, who certainly and emphatically does NOT believe that the Iraqi kid is bound for hell, read vigorously, debate with friends, talk to his priest about these issues. He struggles with them, he thinks about them. He writes his thoughts in his journal. I really respect that. These issues questions are -- should be -- part of anyone's spiritual or moral life. If there is a God, why does he allow evil? What is our obligation, in a capitalist society, to care for the poor and sick? Is it more important to be righteous or to be kind? It is so hard to keep these questions alive during day-to-day existence. And I think for some people "I'm spiritual but not religious" becomes a way of telling themselves they're OK and other people aren't while not really wrestling with the issues that you would if you were engaged with a smart and empathetic spiritual community.

TwinFoxes
09-08-2011, 08:02 PM
I still believe that a man may just live in my house in a secret corner of the basement and is just waiting to pop out and "get" me!

OMG, does he know the lady who breaks into my house, steals things, and then returns them?

BayGirl2
09-08-2011, 08:13 PM
OK, there's some good stuff here. Just a couple:

I don't mind skull & crossbones on boys clothes if they are pirate-like. Probably bc my parents live in the Keys and the Pirate theme is pretty popular. Yeah, I know real pirates did horrible things, but for DS I feel like pirates are less harmful than watching Disney stuff.

Not a fan of older babies in newborn-like clothes like onesies and footies. Rompers are cute. But anything that looks like pajamas all day is just annoying to me. Also hate the onesie+knit pants over look - makes the shirt look too tucked in, not great on skinny babies but especially bad on the chunky ones. I like a cute outfit, except for at nighttime. YES - I am judgy about baby fashion styles. (I'm really not a bad person.)

I think a lot of parents FF early and do other less safe stuff bc they are too lazy to do the research to figure out what's best. I believe as parents its our responsibility to use the information available to make smart decisions for our kids.

I believe in God and work to have a personal relationship with him but despite my upbringing I cannot get myself to buy into an organized religion. So that puts me in the "spiritual but not religious" category. I respect that what one believes is their truth, there is no one right religion.

I also can't buy into a political party and have been a registered independent since 18. I prefer to make my own decisions and not vote based on what a group says is the right choice. I see lack of understanding and bad decisions on BOTH sides of the political spectrum among my immediate family.

I hate camo on little kids and baby stuff. If my child grows up and decides to be in the military I support that, and I am in awe of the sacrifices made by our troops. But I don't think war, fighting, military, etc. needs to be glamorized on babies. I refused to buy a product recently bc the only options available were green or pink camo.

I don't think big business is necessarily bad. I don't think small business is necessarily good. Companies are made up of individuals, who make good and bad decisions, usually based on the incentives they are given. I am not against outsourcing or offshoring. Oh, and they are not the same thing, and I'm sick of people confusing the two.

OK.... I think that's it, I feel better now.

jren
09-08-2011, 08:18 PM
I like to watch Phineas and Ferb even when my kids aren't around.

So funny! This is what's on our TV right now. DH just turned it on - kids are in bed.

citymama
09-08-2011, 08:21 PM
:yeahthat: Amy, I'm with you on all of that. And I'm pretty particular about what my kids wear, but my 16 month DD is wearing this onesie tucked into these knit pants and it is frickin' adorable. Please don't judge her for her mom's fashion sense! ;)

http://image.hannaandersson.com/is/image/Hanna/37345_45G?$FlatMiniW$http://image.hannaandersson.com/is/image/Hanna/37347_43G?$FlatMiniW$

Oh, and to the PP who thinks BBBers pay $40-60 for these outfits, I say: :hysterical:. That's for those full price moms, not us!

janine
09-08-2011, 08:53 PM
OK, there's some good stuff here. Just a couple:

I think a lot of parents FF early and do other less safe stuff bc they are too lazy to do the research to figure out what's best. I believe as parents its our responsibility to use the information available to make smart decisions for our kids.

Wow, that is a bit judgy! I know we are all here to vent it out, but this is a bit of a jump in terms of connecting dots.

Green_Tea
09-08-2011, 08:58 PM
You're not alone:

I read this yesterday and loved it. It's probably why it's been on my mind! It refreshing that so many BBB mamas agree (though I have had to sit on my hands when reading some school related threads in the past...).

Hmmm....guess I have to think of a less popular opinion now...

buddyleebaby
09-08-2011, 09:21 PM
I am spiritual, but believe organized religion is the cause of many issues. The what I believe is right and what you believe is wrong thing. The lack of tolerance and exclusion. So if the Muslim kid in Iraq was born to different parents, in a different place he would go to heaven, but if he dies at 5 years old because he believes what his parent taught him was right will go to hell? Would the Christians born in America be Christian if they were born in Thailand, Japan, Iran ,etc. not likely. So because of where you were born or who you were born to determines going to heaven or hell. All religions believe they are right. Making others wrong. I see too much grey in the world to believe that.

I consider myself to be Roman Catholic, and struggle immensely with many things taught by the Church. I believe in God, and I believe in Jesus, but I do not believe that others who do not are doomed to hell. I don't even know if I believe in hell. What about all the people who lived before Jesus? If they had to follow certain rules to get into heaven, shouldn't they have known about the rules? Or do they go to Heaven by default? If they didn't have to live a certain way, why do we?
I don't know if what I believe is right, I only know that is it right for me. I like going to Church. I like being in a monogamous relationship. I like community outreach. I feel peace when I pray. I feel God in my daily life. I feel God strengthens me. And when horrible horrible things happen, I NEED to believe in God.
I don't mind when other refer to themselves as spiritual, but my *personal* problem with it is this: If I referred to myself as "spiritual", what spirit am I referring to? The holy spirit? The spirit of the world? The spirit of friendship? The spirit of peace? All of the above? I personally would feel the need to define what I believed in a bit further, and that is exactly what religion attempts to do. So I would be right back where I started, trying the best I could to be a good person and believe in something. Even if it was just a religion of one.

BayGirl2
09-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Wow, that is a bit judgy! I know we are all here to vent it out, but this is a bit of a jump in terms of connecting dots.

Well, I thought that was less jugdy than plenty of other stuff on is thread, but whatever.

And I wasn't referring to people here, who by definition are here to get info. I am thinking of some specific people IRL who just prefer to do the easiest thing without finding out what might be the best choice for their child. I don't really have a problem with parents making an educated choice regarding safety (rf or otherwise). I have more of a problem with not giving much thought at all to decisions with consequences. And I'm referring to people with the intelligence and access to good information. Who just choose not to bother to think about it. Just annoys me, not supposed to be popular a opinion.

mezzona
09-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I love wonderpets.

StantonHyde
09-08-2011, 09:33 PM
I love wonderpets.

Ahhhhhhhhh--that may be the most offensive thing I have read all day! ;)

crl
09-08-2011, 09:36 PM
I love wonderpets.

:hysterical:

Catherine

buddyleebaby
09-08-2011, 09:36 PM
I love wonderpets.

:rotflmao:

Me too.

And Max and Ruby. ;)

LMPC
09-08-2011, 09:37 PM

Not something either of us has acted on yet, and maybe neither of us ever will, but...yeah. ;)

That's a good one...and one I DID NOT see comin'!

JoyNChrist
09-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh--that may be the most offensive thing I have read all day! ;)

For realz. ;)

Trigglet
Well, I dunno if this is unpopular or not, but lordy do I hate Caillou. He makes me want to pinch him. :bag

tribe pride
Well, I'm an evangelical (though hesitant to use that word, since it has so much political baggage) Christian, and believe in the inerrancy of Scripture and in the doctrines espoused by the church's historic creeds, such as the Nicene Creed. I guess that's a pretty unpopular opinion on this board! :)

janine
09-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, I thought that was less jugdy than plenty of other stuff on is thread, but whatever.

And I wasn't referring to people here, who by definition are here to get info. I am thinking of some specific people IRL who just prefer to do the easiest thing without finding out what might be the best choice for their child. I don't really have a problem with parents making an educated choice regarding safety (rf or otherwise). I have more of a problem with not giving much thought at all to decisions with consequences. And I'm referring to people with the intelligence and access to good information. Who just choose not to bother to think about it. Just annoys me, not supposed to be popular a opinion.

Ok, but there were several posters here who who made reference to FF'ing as an "unpopular" choice (trust me I've heard it all) so your post did seem a bit of a dig. Do not assume a choice any parent makes is not an educated choice because it is not the same as yours. And a bit ridiculous to me that anyone should have to feel the need to justify their choices, but alas judgy moms is part of parenting. Oh and not refering to you but just these "other people" of course.

ashleybama24
09-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Well, I dunno if this is unpopular or not, but lordy do I hate Caillou. He makes me want to pinch him. :bag

How old is he supposed to be? He can be so whiney and the fact that he has no hair leads me to believe he is much younger than the intended audience.

TxCat
09-08-2011, 09:46 PM

:rotflmao:

ashleybama24
09-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Ok, but there were several posters here who who made reference to FF'ing as an "unpopular" choice (trust me I've heard it all) so your post did seem a bit of a dig. Do not assume a choice any parent makes is not an educated choice because it is not the same as yours. And a bit ridiculous to me that anyone should have to feel the need to justify their choices, but alas judgy moms is part of parenting. Oh and not refering to you but just these "other people" of course.

I'm ducking now...I get really tired of the whole FF/RF carseat issue. At least your children are in carseats that are age/weight/height appropriate! Shouldn't everyone get kudos for at least that much? I can't tell you how often I see children in cars without even a seatbelt on!

Trigglet
09-08-2011, 09:51 PM
How old is he supposed to be? He can be so whiney and the fact that he has no hair leads me to believe he is much younger than the intended audience.

No idea, but the no hair thing was bothering me, so I will admit to googling to see why he has no hair :o and the answer is so that all children will be able to relate to him, WTH?! It seems to me that a kid with brown hair is going to relate to a kid with blonde hair/red hair/whatever a whole lot more than a bald kid - it just makes me think he's had chemo or something. Plus, yeah he's totally whiny!!

hillview
09-08-2011, 09:55 PM

So here's one from me: state religion is a bad idea, IMO. Organized religion is the source of many of the world's troubles - not personal religion, but state ordained and clergy dominated religion.

I'm ducking now.
Read the news and see that a vast majority of violence and trauma comes from lack of religious tolerance.

- Don't get children's menus, kids don't need dumbed down food.- I would love no homework & more recess in elems. Kids should have more time to be kids.
You know (I am dumb) but never thought much about the kid's menu. But you (and other pp) are SO SO right. And a big yeah that to the hw/recess statement!

That's a good one...and one I DID NOT see comin'!
:yeahthat: :) you win!

Green_Tea
09-08-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm ducking now...I get really tired of the whole FF/RF carseat issue. At least your children are in carseats that are age/weight/height appropriate! Shouldn't everyone get kudos for at least that much? I can't tell you how often I see children in cars without even a seatbelt on!

OK, I can't find the ducking tomatoes smilie, but I agree. There are some kids who are MISERABLE rear facing. MISERABLE. To the point that it is impossible to travel with them. Yes, even if they know no different.

I cannot concentrate on the road when one or more of my children is screaming for extended periods of time, to the point where I have gotten into 2 fender benders because my nerves have been shot by their screaming and crying. I would have absolutely no qualms about turning a 20 lb+ MISERABLE one year old forward facing if I felt it decreased my chance of getting into a car accident.

:8: (here's a smilie drinking beer, which is what I feel like doing right now.)

Claki
09-08-2011, 09:56 PM

He's four. It's in the theme song. Which I can't get out of my head. But actually the Caillou stories don't bother me as much as the weird dinosaur puppet interludes.

Green_Tea
09-08-2011, 09:58 PM

He's just a kid who's FOUR, each days he learns some more...

I think Caillou was created by someone who was trying to say, "You think YOUR kid is bad..."

ashleybama24
09-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Calliou comes on during naptime here so we rarely ever see it.

How old is Sid the Science Kid? The way that kid runs and talks makes me wonder if he is special ed. I love the idea of teaching children science but man is that show hard to sit through.

StantonHyde
09-08-2011, 10:04 PM
-My kids could eat McDonalds every day and I would be ok with it. They are so dang skinny.

-My son does not eat vegetables or fruit and lives on pbj. So did my brother--he has a PhD from Stanford, played state select soccer, isn't an axe murderer and now eats lots of foods.

-my kid is circed and I don't care if other boys are or are not

-its ok to formula feed.

-No, I am not going to coverup while I nurse my baby and I nursed just about everywhere without flashing everybody.

-my kids probably watch 3-4 hours of TV a day

-I am an environmentalist and global warming is real.

-People are really bad at calculating risk--I start with is it more or less dangerous than driving a car and go from there.

-I hate tattoos on people.

The next 3 are aimed at MIL and SIL.
-I will believe that somebody has a glandular problem/inherited fat genes/etc etc when they stop eating mass quantities of food and crappy food at that and they still can't lose weight. Take some accountability for your behavior. And, no, it is not McDonalds fault that people eat poorly--you can eat anything in moderation (or like me, I just don't eat it).

-Yes, I do work hard to stay healthy. There are people who work a lot harder than I do and run/race way farther distances than I do.

-No, backpacking to get away from civilization, out into the desert, and not shower for a week is not crazy. In fact, it might make you healthy.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-08-2011, 10:13 PM
:yeahthat: Amy, I'm with you on all of that. And I'm pretty particular about what my kids wear, but my 16 month DD is wearing this onesie tucked into these knit pants and it is frickin' adorable. Please don't judge her for her mom's fashion sense! ;)

http://image.hannaandersson.com/is/image/Hanna/37345_45G?$FlatMiniW$http://image.hannaandersson.com/is/image/Hanna/37347_43G?$FlatMiniW$

Oh, and to the PP who thinks BBBers pay $40-60 for these outfits, I say: :hysterical:. That's for those full price moms, not us!

lol, my DD has the exact same outfit (i also have the dress in the same green/pink pattern :bag). have been my favorite staples for her this summer! and heck no, i didn't pay full price for any of it! hunting down Hanna items at killer prices (calling outlets, etc) is part of the fun of HA, i think. :)

i'm sad though, i got all those pieces in size 60 and at 6mos my DD has already outgrown it (T_T)

momm
09-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Ok I did NOT see thwt coming!! Care to elaborate?

liz
09-08-2011, 10:17 PM

TV can be educational. I now know more about insects, snakes, alligators and mammals due to the Kratt brothers and Steve Irwin (which still makes me sad to think he died. My kids can't get enough of him).

I don't feel guilty when I bring my kids to a fast food restaurant (sometimes 1-2 x a week). We balance the meal out with healthy sides and they eat healthy at home.

And I love :heartbeat: my large SUV (which happens to get the same gas mileage as a minivan and has most of the same conveniences/luxuries).
Just to clarify, minivans are great, but I love me an SUV!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-08-2011, 10:20 PM
oh i should add another one, my DS is circed. if i were to have another boy he would be circed too. no qualms over it. i admit a part of it is due to vanity and am like Jenny McCarthy when she said in her book that she did not like the look of an uncirc'ed penis, and that her son's future wife would thank her someday.

oh and i totally agree with StantonHyde about people being really bad about calculating risk. i never understood why parents are so paranoid of things like their kids being abducted by strangers (pretty rare) yet most don't seem to be bothered AT ALL by other things that are way more dangerous and risky (e.g. forward-facing a 10month old in the car). i think part of it is due to media hype/TV (lots of crime dramas featuring kids being abducted/abused). i think another part of is that most people don't fully understand statistics and/or physics.

BayGirl2
09-08-2011, 10:22 PM

I really don't have a problem w parents who decide to FF for whatever reason and I'm definitely not trying to start a RF/FF debate. But the same person I am thinking of IRL rides with her 1yo children on her LAP, and allows the grandparents to do it, and they consider it a game. So maybe saying not educated on the decision is giving that person too much credit.

Anyway, the point of my original opinion was that I think parenting is a responsibility, and we as parents need to make educated decisions, safety was an example. Didn't really expect to be attacked for that one on this board, but I sometimes feel like its unpopular IRL.

traciann
09-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Well, I turned my dd2 FF around 18 months and I have done the research. I was simply tired of the screetching in the backseat. It stopped as soon as I turned her around. I don't feel judged at all, and am comfortable with my parenting choice.

and I like cailou!

BayGirl2
09-08-2011, 10:27 PM

That does look pretty cute. I haven't seen many of the HA ones IRL. It's the mostly the Carters ones I'm thinking of, I don't even like them in the ads. I had a bunch for DS but just didn't like them once he started wearing them.

SpaceGal
09-08-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm ok with TV (though my kids are big PBS kids).
We play video games together as a family.
Unfortunately we need to read more.

tmahanes
09-08-2011, 10:45 PM

I am impressed with your bravery! :)

I think I might be ok with a menage ;)

I hate to read books that "make you think".... All the threads about what are you reading now never have frivolous romance novels :ROTFLMAO:

I formula fed

I don't really like HA and Boden but I like when B has little outfits like daddy... ie jeans and polo or button up.

I am okay with electronics and video games.

curiousgeorge
09-08-2011, 10:47 PM
I would be lost without PBS and Pixar and I don't feel bad about it. Everything I know about dinosaurs I learned from Dinosaur Train.

We have a LOT of plastic toys and love them. I :love5: Bruder trucks.

I am not yet sold on Facebook. I just don't get it. If you want to keep up with people and their lives, TALK to them! What's the allure to letting the whole world know what you are doing every minute? (And this comes from a girl who had a 12+ year career in high tech prior to becoming a SAHM so it's not like I'm tech averse).

I agree that little boy clothes are way less fun than little girl clothes. But I figure I'm saving a LOT of money by not having girls and therefore not buying clothes for them. Money I can spend on purses and shoes for ME!

citymama
09-09-2011, 12:04 AM
lol, my DD has the exact same outfit (i also have the dress in the same green/pink pattern :bag). have been my favorite staples for her this summer! and heck no, i didn't pay full price for any of it! hunting down Hanna items at killer prices (calling outlets, etc) is part of the fun of HA, i think. :)

i'm sad though, i got all those pieces in size 60 and at 6mos my DD has already outgrown it (T_T)

We have the dress too, although it's too big for her yet - and I just bought the kitty/butterfly hat! We have it all in size 80, so talk to me next summer!

I am finding it impossible to part with DD2's clothing, though. Like "I am citymama and have a problem" - sigh.

citymama
09-09-2011, 12:06 AM
I love wonderpets.

Me too! :rotflmao:

mjs64
09-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Here's one I'm literally afraid to write:

Breast (feeding) isn't always best. For a number of reasons. Especially if its contributing to PPD in a (this) mama.

Another:
I don't think welfare recipients should be required to be drug tested, nor do I think their future reproduction should be limited (or judged). (No, I'm not a welfare recipient!)

ETA: And another: I would totally support slave reparations.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-09-2011, 12:35 AM
I consider myself to be Roman Catholic, and struggle immensely with many things taught by the Church. I believe in God, and I believe in Jesus, but I do not believe that others who do not are doomed to hell. I don't even know if I believe in hell. What about all the people who lived before Jesus? If they had to follow certain rules to get into heaven, shouldn't they have known about the rules? Or do they go to Heaven by default? If they didn't have to live a certain way, why do we?
I don't know if what I believe is right, I only know that is it right for me. I like going to Church. I like being in a monogamous relationship. I like community outreach. I feel peace when I pray. I feel God in my daily life. I feel God strengthens me. And when horrible horrible things happen, I NEED to believe in God.
I don't mind when other refer to themselves as spiritual, but my *personal* problem with it is this: If I referred to myself as "spiritual", what spirit am I referring to? The holy spirit? The spirit of the world? The spirit of friendship? The spirit of peace? All of the above? I personally would feel the need to define what I believed in a bit further, and that is exactly what religion attempts to do. So I would be right back where I started, trying the best I could to be a good person and believe in something. Even if it was just a religion of one.

Community outreach and monogamy are not exclusive to religion or belonging to a church. Horrible things happened to me as a child and I have trouble believing that God would let a child go through what I did.

I believe in a higher power, I just don't feel the need to give him/her/it a name. I can believe in something bigger than myself and not have to give it a name. Being a vegetarian; being a kind, loving, helpful person all a part of my ethos. I don't need to follow a particular religion to have beliefs and morals. I don't need a religion to tell me how to be a good person. I can't just follow a God that lets children be raped, innocent children that suffer. I started questioning God when I was 6, after losing my mother, having a depressed alcoholic parent left and being raped on a regular basis. For some it makes them believe, other it makes them doubt. It made me doubt. How an almighty God could do that to me.

kijip
09-09-2011, 12:38 AM
I like rap -- I think Eminem is very clever lyrically.

Not an unpopular opinion at all. Very, very clever lyrically.

buddyleebaby
09-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Community outreach and monogamy are not exclusive to religion or belonging to a church. Horrible things happened to me as a child and I have trouble believing that God would let a child go through what I did.

I believe in a higher power, I just don't feel the need to give him/her/it a name. I can believe in something bigger than myself and not have to give it a name. Being a vegetarian; being a kind, loving, helpful person all a part of my ethos. I don't need to follow a particular religion to have beliefs and morals. I don't need a religion to tell me how to be a good person. I can't just follow a God that lets children be raped, innocent children that suffer. I started questioning God when I was 6, after losing my mother, having a depressed alcoholic parent left and being raped on a regular basis. For some it makes them believe, other it makes them doubt. It made me doubt. How an almighty God could do that to me.

I didn't say that any of my beliefs were exclusive to organized religion! Quite the opposite- what I was trying to express was that someone (me) who considers themselves to be religious can have very similar morals/beliefs as someone who does not consider themselves to be at all religious.

LexyLou
09-09-2011, 12:51 AM
~I get super pissed off when I see people pull out of the school parking lot and throw on the car DVD player! I am SO not anti TV but after not seeing your kid all day, do you think you could maybe have a conversation with them???

~I want fake boobs and zerona on my mid section. I don't know if it will ever happen and I wouldn't go big, I just want shape, but I do think about it...a lot.

~I'm really, really close to letting my 4 year old sit in a high back booster full time. It will be the Sunshine Kid Monterrey and I drive a super safe Volvo and she's been practicing in her big sisters seat, but I know on this board a 4 year old in a booster is as bad as giving your kids shots of whiskey...but it's just so much easier and she won't stop asking me.

mum-to-be
09-09-2011, 12:55 AM

I hate him with a passion. Such a whiny little guy. So glad he is not my kid.

kijip
09-09-2011, 01:00 AM
John Spong is my hero. For those who know what the hell I just said, this explains my attachment to church but complicated beliefs on religion as a whole.

I think that too many married women set themselves up to end up struggling single mothers by not being financially smarter when they are planning to have kids and planning complete financial dependence on their spouse without fully considering the divorce rate.

I think vegetarianism is freaky. Yet I think dairy products are basically disgusting in theory and many in practice.

I do not believe that charitable donations should be tax deductible. Or at least then, they should be for all and they are not in practice because of the standard deduction.

People who say the Theory of Evolution "is just a theory" are demonstrating a fundamental lack of understanding of basic scientific terms that are taught in grade school. They need to return to grade school and relearn their vocabulary.

From a mac girl: Apple laptops are unreliable and overpriced. IPhones are silly crazy pricey on the monthly plan.

People should not be able to be sworn into Congress unless they can pass a basic knowledge test in science, economics and history.

Individual responsibility starts with a full understanding of community obligations.

Refusing to look a street person in the eye when murmuring a no to their request for change is a cowardly act.

For a country as well as the USA to have people sleeping under the freeway etc is a collective sin that we are each responsible for perpetuating.

John Kennedy was a schmucky mediocre president who, except for being a good orator, good looking and having been assassinated, would be remembered as slightly successful to moderately unsuccessful president.

I never thought Brad Pitt was all that good looking.

Friends was a sucky tv show.

Is that controversial enough? :wavey:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-09-2011, 01:05 AM
I think vegetarianism is freaky. Yet I think dairy products are basically disgusting in theory and many in practice.

:

Now I am curious. Freaky? Why? I won't be offended, promise! If it weren't for ice cream, CHEESE and yogurt, oh and honey I could be a vegan.

Pyrodjm
09-09-2011, 01:13 AM
I think people who go to college for the experience with no thought of their intended career and no intention of using their degrees in a job that can actually support them are idiots. There are plenty of ways to become a well-rounded individual. Frat party's on your parent's dime while you pursue a worthless degree are not the only way.

I think woman often get the short end of the stick in relationships because they accept it. He was a dog when you met him, when you chose to date him and when you chose to marry him. Guess what, he hasn't changed. Stop crying about how horrible he is, it gets old.

I was spanked and I've thanked my parents on several occasions for doing so.

I'm not environmentally conscious, but I am somewhat health conscious and tend to be cheap. At times these traits make me seem to be green and I rarely correct people.

I believe my religion causes me to be a better person than I'd be without it. My faith gives me peace. Whatever the God I worship chooses to do with everyone else is His business and I don't sweat it. If that 5 year old Iraqi kid gets a pass, good for him.

JoyNChrist
09-09-2011, 01:17 AM
Katie, I was with you on everything until you dissed Friends. ;)

ETA - Especially Brad Pitt. I don't get the fuss over him at all.

mjs64
09-09-2011, 01:17 AM

And :yeahthat:. Actually, I agree with most of what you've said. But I really, really can't stand that show.

kijip
09-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Now I am curious. Freaky? Why? I won't be offended, promise! If it weren't for ice cream, CHEESE and yogurt, oh and honey I could be a vegan.

I think humans evolved to eat meat. Most body types seem to do better eating it in moderation. I do think Americans eat too much of it and need to quadruple their veggie and fruit intake. As for dairy products, I don't think we evolved to consume the milk of other mammals. Most human children become lactose intolerant at some point and then build up a tolerance again which allows them to consume something designed for young into adulthood. I do eat some dairy but I have to kind of deny where it came from to do so. :rotflmao: Forms of dairy I will not consume...hell will freeze before I eat yogurt, cottage cheese, drink milk. I eat a limited amount of cheese but only certain kinds. I did not used to like ice cream. I do like butter. It may be the only form of dairy I am enthused about. I was a vegetarian for awhile, sorta a required thing for lefty green Seattle college girls to do. It was a huge mistake. I have never been sicker in my life. The day I started eating meat again was a banner day in my life.

alien_host
09-09-2011, 01:32 AM
I will never own a mini van!

LexyLou
09-09-2011, 01:34 AM
I think humans evolved to eat meat. Most body types seem to do better eating it in moderation. I do think Americans eat too much of it and need to quadruple their veggie and fruit intake. As for dairy products, I don't think we evolved to consume the milk of other mammals. Most human children become lactose intolerant at some point and then build up a tolerance again which allows them to consume something designed for young into adulthood. I do eat some dairy but I have to kind of deny where it came from to do so. :rotflmao: Forms of dairy I will not consume...hell will freeze before I eat yogurt, cottage cheese, drink milk. I eat a limited amount of cheese but only certain kinds. I did not used to like ice cream. I do like butter. It may be the only form of dairy I am enthused about. I was a vegetarian for awhile, sorta a required thing for lefty green Seattle college girls to do. It was a huge mistake. I have never been sicker in my life. The day I started eating meat again was a banner day in my life.

I don't think vegetarianism is freaky. I think it's interesting that even in dinosaurs there were vegetarians, but I have been reading and following the Paleo/Primal diet and it makes so much sense. I have never felt so clean and healthy.

mum-to-be
09-09-2011, 01:35 AM
I will breastfeed wherever I want, and I won't cover up but you most likely won't see anything.

I like to educate people that poop goes in toilets. Empty those diapers!

I now believe in elimination communication - thank you to DD for teaching me!

I hate living in a high cost of living society because I find people very snooty.

I hate tipping. It annoys me. Why tip some service providers and not others? Why don't we tip the grocery store clerk? They make very little money and provide more service than a waiter.

I don't think preK is essential.

I don't believe kids are picky eaters due to parenting choices. DS and DD are like chalk and cheese and have been from the very moment they started solids (or in DS's case, started refusing solids). And my kids love soft-boiled eggs and toast fingers for dinner. We call it Humpty Dumpty eggs and they get to draw the faces on.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-09-2011, 01:44 AM
I hate tipping. It annoys me. Why tip some service providers and not others? Why don't we tip the grocery store clerk? They make very little money and provide more service than a waiter.

I live in a Right to Work state, servers make under $2.50 an hour, they wouldn't survive w/o tips. The grocery store clerk, they make minimum wage. In a RTW state tips are so necessary. Yes they chose that job, but if no one did, we would have no restaurants in Arizona.

niccig
09-09-2011, 01:49 AM
. And my kids love soft-boiled eggs and toast fingers for dinner. We call it Humpty Dumpty eggs and they get to draw the faces on.

And do you then turn the empty shell upside down and smash it, so the witches can't make boats out of them? Maybe we just do that in my part of Australia.

DH can't believe I can eat a boiled egg w/o peeling all the shell off. I'm going to have to teach DS. And we call the toast "soldiers"

jenfromnj
09-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Here goes, since it's the middle of the night here and I have no filter, but am wide awake since I stupidly drank caffeine at 11pm...

I think sometimes people use religion as an excuse/justification to be hateful, bigoted and judgmental. (I don't mean anyone here!)

I absolutely believe that being "spiritual" without adhering to a particular religion, is possible and can be a good thing. I spend plenty of time engaging in internal and external dialogue on many moral issues, but without the framework of a formal religion to tell me what I should be thinking. FTR, I am a lapsed Catholic, and I'm sure that affects my belief system in some ways, but I have so many issues with things the church has done and things they believe, I can't consider myself a member of the religion at this point.

Here's a potentially really unpopular one: I don't necessarily think that everyone should automatically have the unequivocal right to vote. I sometimes think there should be a minimum standard test or something. It's not about political affiliation--there are many people in my life whose political leanings differ vastly from mine, and I have no issue with that. But then again, they are well informed and are voting/supporting candidates based upon their analysis of the issues. It's just scary that people can and do vote when they have no real grasp of the main issues at hand, and that candidates/campaigns can go corral voters who basically do what they're told. And I believe that many people vote against their true best interests in the bigger picture, to support one or two "key social issues" one way or another.

I also think the two-party political system is a terrible idea.

I let my kid watch TV, eat fast food and drink juice (all within reason)--I'm a "most everything in moderation is OK" kind of person.

kijip
09-09-2011, 02:04 AM

I think I have only seen 1-2 in 7 years that I would toss. :bag Just eat it. It is exceedingly unlikely to kill you if you are even willing to consider it a question to ask. We need to stop wasting food.

mum-to-be
09-09-2011, 02:06 AM
And do you then turn the empty shell upside down and smash it, so the witches can't make boats out of them? Maybe we just do that in my part of Australia.

DH can't believe I can eat a boiled egg w/o peeling all the shell off. I'm going to have to teach DS. And we call the toast "soldiers"

No we don't do the witch thing and I'd never heard of it. We don't call the toast soldiers, although I have heard of it. I'm also Australian.

citymama
09-09-2011, 02:12 AM
I don't think vegetarianism is freaky. I think it's interesting that even in dinosaurs there were vegetarians, but I have been reading and following the Paleo/Primal diet and it makes so much sense. I have never felt so clean and healthy.

As a vegetarian with vegetarian ancestors, I am amused by the reference to vegetarianism as "freaky" rather than - not for me. The whole "were we hunters or gatherers?" debate has been going on for a long time in some distinguished archeological/historical circles. Regardless of what Jared Diamond and friends conclude, I am chuckling to think of my late grandfather, vegetarian, riding his bicycle to the market at 91 and remaining insanely healthy and active until his death at 95, would have thought of his diet being called "freakish."

mum-to-be, are you Aussie?

Another unpopular opinion: I support unions. I think collective bargaining rights are being destroyed and with it, the heart of our democracy.

mum-to-be
I live in a Right to Work state, servers make under $2.50 an hour, they wouldn't survive w/o tips. The grocery store clerk, they make minimum wage. In a RTW state tips are so necessary. Yes they chose that job, but if no one did, we would have no restaurants in Arizona.

I actually don't mind so much tipping waiters in inexpensive restaurants eg Denny's. I mostly don't like tipping when I feel I have already paid so much that it should cover the service eg. hair salons - you are paying for a service and then you have to tip for service.

niccig
No we don't do the witch thing and I'd never heard of it. We don't call the toast soldiers, although I have heard of it. I'm also Australian.

Where from? I'm from Eumundi, near Noosa.

I think the witches thing is from a book we read as kids. Maybe it's a poem. If you look part-way down this page, it's English Forklore http://www.answers.com/topic/eggshell

But this is the poem that I remember.
http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/cetag/5ceggs.htm

mum-to-be
09-09-2011, 02:15 AM
As a vegetarian with vegetarian ancestors, I am amused by the reference to vegetarianism as "freaky" rather than - not for me. The whole "were we hunters or gatherers?" debate has been going on for a long time in some distinguished archeological/historical circles. Regardless of what Jared Diamond and friends conclude, I am chuckling to think of my late grandfather, vegetarian, riding his bicycle to the market at 91 and insanely healthy and active, would have thought of being called a "freak."

mum-to-be, are you Aussie? Brit?

Another unpopular opinion: I support unions. I think collective bargaining rights are being destroyed and with it, the heart of our democracy.

Aussie, and laughing at myself because I read "I support unions. I think collective bargaining rights..." and started thinking about a union of bargain hunters. Oh dear, time for bed I think!

mum-to-be
09-09-2011, 02:20 AM
Where from? I'm from Eumundi, near Noosa.

I think the witches thing is from a book we read as kids. Maybe it's a poem. If you look part-way down this page, it's English Forklore http://www.answers.com/topic/eggshell

But this is the poem that I remember.
http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/cetag/5ceggs.htm

Ha! My parents and all of my brothers live on the Sunshine Coast! I moved around Qld as a kid since my Dad was in Education. My Mum is from Sydney and Dad is from Brisbane, so I'm sure it has to do with where my parents are from. I love the Eumundi markets :) And we went to Australia for our wedding when we lived in the UK, and honeymooned at Noosa since we had already traveled so far.

niccig
09-09-2011, 02:23 AM
I agree with many opinions already expressed. Here's a few more of mine:

It boggles my mind that people in the USA do not ALL have access to health care. Until moving here, I never discussed health insurance and the possibility of major illness/accident bankrupting the family. Universal health care isn't evil, it means you get the treatment you need and your still get to keep your house.

Don't whine on and on and on about the same problem. Either fix it, or shut up about it (and yes, I do need to take my own advice on this at times).

Stupid is as stupid does - some people make bone-headed decisions, don't blame others for your decisions, and don't expect a lot of sympathy.

Plan freakin ahead people. And if you don't plan, then don't be surprised when life throws a curve ball and you're screwed. Things working out perfectly is nearly impossible.

I despise PB&J. DS will eat either PB&J or a vegemite sandwich. DH and I will make either sandwich, but I won't kiss DH after he had a PB&J and he won't kiss me after eating vegemite.

Cheese that resembles plastic, or radioactive orange cheddar cheese is NOT cheese. DH takes DS to taco bell and gets him the nachos with the plastic cheese in the cup and tells DS "you know mummy won't be happy." Gross stuff.

niccig
09-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Ha! My parents and all of my brothers live on the Sunshine Coast! I moved around Qld as a kid since my Dad was in Education. My Mum is from Sydney and Dad is from Brisbane, so I'm sure it has to do with where my parents are from. I love the Eumundi markets :) And we went to Australia for our wedding when we lived in the UK, and honeymooned at Noosa since we had already traveled so far.

Where? My parents are still in Eumundi, and my mother used to teach at Coolum HS. The markets are great for the town, bring in lots of money, but none of us locals try to get into town on those days, it's just crazy with the traffic.

mum-to-be
09-09-2011, 02:59 AM
I agree with many opinions already expressed. Here's a few more of mine:

It boggles my mind that people in the USA do not ALL have access to health care. Until moving here, I never discussed health insurance and the possibility of major illness/accident bankrupting the family. Universal health care isn't evil, it means you get the treatment you need and your still get to keep your house.

Don't whine on and on and on about the same problem. Either fix it, or shut up about it (and yes, I do need to take my own advice on this at times).

Stupid is as stupid does - some people make bone-headed decisions, don't blame others for your decisions, and don't expect a lot of sympathy.

Plan freakin ahead people. And if you don't plan, then don't be surprised when life throws a curve ball and you're screwed. Things working out perfectly is nearly impossible.

I despise PB&J. DS will eat either PB&J or a vegemite sandwich. DH and I will make either sandwich, but I won't kiss DH after he had a PB&J and he won't kiss me after eating vegemite.

Cheese that resembles plastic, or radioactive orange cheddar cheese is NOT cheese. DH takes DS to taco bell and gets him the nachos with the plastic cheese in the cup and tells DS "you know mummy won't be happy." Gross stuff.

I actually like PB&J but haven't made it for years since DS went off it and switched to Nutella and honey (his own combo). The smell of vegemite always made me want to throw up - DH loves it though. And I'm used to the orange cheese now. Hanging my head in shame - so un-Australian!

ThreeofUs
09-09-2011, 04:30 AM
Okay, I've got one that will make everybody turn on me.

Ready?

I. Hate. Minivans.

Overgrown, smooshed next to my skinny car, gas-guzzling minivans. Can't stand them, even though I know they are supremely useful and good family vehicles, even though I covet the sliding doors (I mean, shouldn't all cars have these doors?!), even though I have 2 boys who are going to have lots of friends and sports equipment to transport.

Give me a smallish, 40+MPG hatchback any day.

wellyes
09-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Belleoftheball :hug:

My UO is that anyone who eats factory farm meat is committing an immoral act. (is that inflammatory enough lol??). Seriously - we all know those creatures live tortured, horrible, painful lives. Bacon is delicious, yes, but pigs are as smart as dogs. Dog fighting makes you reviled (Michael Vick), why us everyone completely ok with millions of pigs being treated in a way that would horrify anyone if it wasn't done in dark warehouses out of sight?

Also? I think SNL is often funny.

LBW
09-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Here's mine, and I'll go hide in a paper bag after I post this.

I cannot stand most professional sports, particularly football and baseball. I'm bored to death watching them, and I start to get angry when I think about the amounts of money the players and coaches are paid to play. I'm disgusted by the relationship between colleges and sports programs. I thought school was where you went to get an education not to earn money for the university?

I've never watched an episode of American Idol or any of the other talent search type programs. I don't understand why people like them so much.

The Twilight books were awful.

:bag

Green_Tea
09-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Katie, I was with you on everything until you dissed Friends. ;)

tmahanes
09-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Okay, I've got one that will make everybody turn on me.

Ready?

I. Hate. Minivans.

Me too!!!! Only I LOVE my huge SUV!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

momof2girls
09-09-2011, 08:05 AM
It drives me nuts when people stick up their noses to other culture's food choices. In many countries people eat bugs, people eat cute little rabbits, people eat pretty much all living creatures. How is eating a bug/rabbit/guinea pig any grosser than eating a cow/chicken/pig? To me it's all gross since I am a vegetarian. I just hate it when meat eaters think eating meats they find unusual so barbaric and gross yet it's ok to eat their choices of meat. Hypocrytical.

hellokitty
09-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Here's mine, and I'll go hide in a paper bag after I post this.

I cannot stand most professional sports, particularly football and baseball. I'm bored to death watching them, and I start to get angry when I think about the amounts of money the players and coaches are paid to play. I'm disgusted by the relationship between colleges and sports programs. I thought school was where you went to get an education not to earn money for the university?

:bag

Don't worry, I'm with you on this one for sure. I have NEVER understood America's obsession with professional sports. I think it is part of the dumbing down of our society in general and idk why ppl think that these athletes are supposed to be idolized and expected to be examples for children. So many of these athletes are a complete mess when it comes to their personal life, letting their mouth run off or substance abuse. Why would you want your children to idolize and be like them??? Oh and don't get me started on the pay, I don't get it either. I am alum at one of THE biggest college FB programs in the US and I am probably the only person at the school that NEVER attended a game and never watches the game. Of course, my DH more than makes up for me he CANNOT miss a single FB or BB game, urgh, and we will have to stop and go back to the hotel room if we are traveling, just so he can watch the freakin' game.

gatorsmom
09-09-2011, 08:22 AM
I'll play. I'm pretty much in agreement with most of the main opinions on this board. I don't disagree often here which is funny because- and here is where we are VERY different- i'm a devout Catholic. I try my best to follow the techings of the Catholic church down to the letter. That is a pretty different opinion here, LOL.

But I wasn't always so devout so I try hard not to judge. I feel like most posters here nowadays do a pretty darn good job of not judging. That's why threads like this are possible. :)

lizzywednesday
09-09-2011, 08:28 AM

4. I dislike children's menus in restaurants.

:yeahthat: Except I absolutely DESPISE them.

Everything on the menu is either bland or fried. (I know that there are kids who eat this way - my BIL's kids are prime examples - but we have none of this pickiness with our toddler.)

Sometimes it makes me think that I'm doing something horrifically wrong because my toddler LOVES broccoli and usually gets p.o.'d if I don't share food off MY plate.

lizzywednesday
09-09-2011, 08:32 AM
... Of course, my DH more than makes up for me he CANNOT miss a single FB or BB game, urgh, and we will have to stop and go back to the hotel room if we are traveling, just so he can watch the freakin' game.

This used to be us before DH got a smartphone and a SlingBox.

There are times when I'm convinced that it saved our relationship.

calv
09-09-2011, 08:34 AM
can't understand why teens expect everything be handed to them. I was working at 14 years old making $6/hr. Even if it's a paper route, get a job and learn the meaning of being responsible.

don't get the whole glee hype

daisymommy
09-09-2011, 08:39 AM
What about all the people who lived before Jesus? If they had to follow certain rules to get into heaven, shouldn't they have known about the rules? Or do they go to Heaven by default? If they didn't have to live a certain way, why do we?

Btw...all these answers are covered in the Old testament. Yes, there were religious rules and laws back then, handed down from God to Moses, which he gave to the people and they were passed along to God's followers. You know, the 10 Commandments and things like that ;)

Salvation through Jesus Christ only came about after the old testament law was fulfilled (done away with) after Christ's death. So there was another way before Him.

Just my PSA today :)

Clarity
09-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Is that controversial enough? :wavey:

*GASP* Blasphemy!

Katie, I ♥ you. You always give me something to think about. :)

hellokitty
09-09-2011, 08:59 AM
This used to be us before DH got a smartphone and a SlingBox.

There are times when I'm convinced that it saved our relationship.

Actually, you're right. He uses his smart phone now, but that annoys me too, b/c then he is glued to it and not mentally present anyway, lol. We got rid of our cable and he was going to get it again, just for FB season and when he found out it would cost $115 to get cable again, he decided he would just watch it on his smartphone. I guess I should be happy that he's attempting to save $, although it still means he is off in fb lala land quite often.

KrystalS
09-09-2011, 09:00 AM
OK, I can't find the ducking tomatoes smilie, but I agree. There are some kids who are MISERABLE rear facing. MISERABLE. To the point that it is impossible to travel with them. Yes, even if they know no different.

I cannot concentrate on the road when one or more of my children is screaming for extended periods of time, to the point where I have gotten into 2 fender benders because my nerves have been shot by their screaming and crying. I would have absolutely no qualms about turning a 20 lb+ MISERABLE one year old forward facing if I felt it decreased my chance of getting into a car accident.

:8: (here's a smilie drinking beer, which is what I feel like doing right now.)

I could not agree more. My DS absolutely hates rear facing. I try to comfort him from the front seat which is really dangerous.

Puddy73
09-09-2011, 09:15 AM
This is one of the best threads ever! I'll play:

I don't think that every kid should go to college right after high school. If you have never had a job and you have no real passion to study, it is a huge waste of time and money. Get a job or learn a trade instead.

If a magic fairy came down and legalized pot and provided me with a babysitter I would smoke the heck out of a joint right now.

Whenever "Give Me Everything" by Pitbull comes on the radio I blast it. Yes, I know I'm old and it is a cheesy song.

My kids eat way more sugar than they should. My mom showed love through baking and I do, too.

wellyes
09-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Btw...all these answers are covered in the Old testament. Yes, there were religious rules and laws back then, handed down from God to Moses, which he gave to the people and they were passed along to God's followers. You know, the 10 Commandments and things like that ;)

Salvation through Jesus Christ only came about after the old testament law was fulfilled (done away with) after Christ's death. So there was another way before Him.

But what about the Egyptian babies?

Your fate is so tied up with how you are born. Which leads to my NEXT unpopular opinion ---- schools should not be funded at the local level, it should be equal federally. The American dream is equal opportunity for all. If you go to a very poor school you will have to work very very hard to attain the basic education level of a lazy kid at a well-off school. And that well-off kid will have taken advantage of music, theater, language, sports that the poor kid has only seen on TV. That is not equal opportunity.

mommylamb
09-09-2011, 09:26 AM
People who say the Theory of Evolution "is just a theory" are demonstrating a fundamental lack of understanding of basic scientific terms that are taught in grade school. They need to return to grade school and relearn their vocabulary.

:yeahthat: Gravity is a theory too, but you don't see the people who say "Evolution is just a theory" jumping off any bridges.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-09-2011, 09:37 AM
like hellokitty and others, i am not a fan of professional sports. i am definitely in the minority here in Texas (football is like a religion here!!!).

oh and another one i just thought of

i :heartbeat: epidurals. Love them!! never had probs or side effects with them. with DS i was going to try for natural birth but DS was early the doula ended up being out of town so we were on our own. I ended up getting en epidural at the very end, for the last hour after 24 hour labor. After DS was born i was just so exhausted. With DD, soon after i realized i was in true labor and after getting to the hospital i got meds and then epidural as soon as possible. i had a MUCH better birthing experience and felt a thousand times better (not as exhausted) after the birth. If/when we have a 3rd I'm definitely getting pain meds again. For me it provides for a much better experience where I can actually enjoy my baby instead of focusing on how much pain i was going through.

SIL also had her first 2 unmedicated (and she was induced). With her 3rd she went for an epidural and later commented that it was so much better experience and wonder why she didn't get it with her first two. At the time i didn't understand what she meant (it was before i had kids at all) but now I totally get it and thought the same thing.

boogiemomz
09-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Here's a potentially really unpopular one: I don't necessarily think that everyone should automatically have the unequivocal right to vote. I sometimes think there should be a minimum standard test or something. It's not about political affiliation--there are many people in my life whose political leanings differ vastly from mine, and I have no issue with that. But then again, they are well informed and are voting/supporting candidates based upon their analysis of the issues. It's just scary that people can and do vote when they have no real grasp of the main issues at hand, and that candidates/campaigns can go corral voters who basically do what they're told.

Couldn't agree more. This belief drives me absolutely crazy, that somehow, if you have a pulse, you have the right to, and you SHOULD, vote. Absurd. And dangerous.

I have many conservative friends,and do not believe most conservatives are greedy, stupid, etc. I can relate most to those that are fiscally conservative. I can see not liking welfare, there are those that abuse it. But I keep thinking of the poor kids that were born to loser parents, it isn't their fault they were born to people that abuse welfare. And since many conservatives do not believe in abortion or welfare, what should happen to those kids? (not address it to boogie mom, just in general).

No, it's a very important point. My politics, in a nutshell, are based on the belief that government should help those who can't help themselves, and those who can help themselves, leave them alone. The rub is in how to decide who can't help themselves. Children most definitely fall in that category, and it's a very complicated problem to address.

sweetsue98
09-09-2011, 09:45 AM
chewing gum in public or when talking to others

Nicsmom
09-09-2011, 10:04 AM
i :heartbeat: epidurals. Love them!! never had probs or side effects with them.

I do too!!! I could not believe that right after giving birth with an epidural I felt so rested that I could give birth to another baby right away.

Here's another unpopular opinion:

We only drink whole milk at my house. I don't like reduced fat products, and low fat milk, to me, is just white water. I prefer to drink it in moderation than to water it down.

buddyleebaby
09-09-2011, 10:09 AM

Yes, I am aware of the old testament. I am at Church every Sunday. I chose Jesus because I was specifically speaking about certain teachings of the Roman Catholic church.
There were MANY ways before Jesus, and Moses for that matter. That's the point.

ETA: A "PSA" was not necessary. I am well informed. (On more than one religion.) Some things I accept, but I also have doubts, that are not relieved by scripture for *me*. That doesn't mean that I think you, or what you believe, is wrong.

lizzywednesday
09-09-2011, 10:21 AM

Breast (feeding) isn't always best. For a number of reasons. Especially if its contributing to PPD in a (this) mama.

I believe that, too.

You tried, it messed your body chemistry, you made the decision to stop because you'd rather have your baby than anything else.

I fully support that.

You have to do what's best for you and your family; if that means formula feeding makes your brain work better, so be it!

Another:
I don't think welfare recipients should be required to be drug tested, nor do I think their future reproduction should be limited (or judged). (No, I'm not a welfare recipient!)

I think that FL will find that it's costing the state MORE in testing and red tape than it does in paying out claims.

Oh, and limiting/judging future reproduction smacks of eugenics to me. Eugenics killed a lot of people in the name of a "master race," you know.

arivecchi
09-09-2011, 10:26 AM
-My kids could eat McDonalds every day and I would be ok with it. They are so dang skinny.

-My son does not eat vegetables or fruit and lives on pbj. So did my brother--he has a PhD from Stanford, played state select soccer, isn't an axe murderer and now eats lots of foods.

-my kid is circed and I don't care if other boys are or are not

-its ok to formula feed.

-No, I am not going to coverup while I nurse my baby and I nursed just about everywhere without flashing everybody.

-my kids probably watch 3-4 hours of TV a day

-I am an environmentalist and global warming is real.

-People are really bad at calculating risk--I start with is it more or less dangerous than driving a car and go from there.

-I hate tattoos on people. so there with ya!

I really don't have a problem w parents who decide to FF for whatever reason and I'm definitely not trying to start a RF/FF debate. But the same person I am thinking of IRL rides with her 1yo children on her LAP, and allows the grandparents to do it, and they consider it a game. So maybe saying not educated on the decision is giving that person too much credit.

Anyway, the point of my original opinion was that I think parenting is a responsibility, and we as parents need to make educated decisions, safety was an example. Didn't really expect to be attacked for that one on this board, but I sometimes feel like its unpopular IRL. ITA. It is laziness IMO. I don't let my kid drink soda because they would rather do that either. It is kinda judgy, but car accidents are also the #1 killer of kids, so it's bending on something that could have dire consequences.

Breast (feeding) isn't always best. For a number of reasons. Especially if its contributing to PPD in a (this) mama. yes!

Here's mine: not everyone should be allowed to have kids. Wish there were a process like the one for adoption before people have any children. You should be able to care for children from a financial and emotional standpoint.

Agree that dancing with the stars is the lamest. show. ever.

ashleybama24
09-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Here's a potentially really unpopular one: I don't necessarily think that everyone should automatically have the unequivocal right to vote. I sometimes think there should be a minimum standard test or something. It's not about political affiliation--there are many people in my life whose political leanings differ vastly from mine, and I have no issue with that. But then again, they are well informed and are voting/supporting candidates based upon their analysis of the issues. It's just scary that people can and do vote when they have no real grasp of the main issues at hand, and that candidates/campaigns can go corral voters who basically do what they're told. And I believe that many people vote against their true best interests in the bigger picture, to support one or two "key social issues" one way or another.

:yeahthat: I also don't understand the point of the electoral college. I think elections should be decided on by popular vote.

I also think that the majority of politicians don't have their voters best interests at heart.

gatorsmom
09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Yes, I am aware of the old testament. I am at Church every Sunday. I chose Jesus because I was specifically speaking about certain teachings of the Roman Catholic church.

If you are not trying to be snarky and you truly want answers, the best place to go, IMHO, is the Catholic answers forum. It's a Catholic message board but there are Christian Theologians from all denominations there who debate and discuss. It's really interesting and you can ask anything there. I find it fascinating.

I am on my iPhone and don't know how to do a link but if you
google "catholic answers forum" it's the first choice that pops up. I think the web address is forums.catholic.com but i have trouble accessing when I type that directly, for some reason.

wellyes
09-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I am much more angry at the news than I am at politicians. There's that expression going around -- if a politician said the earth was flat, the news headline would be "Views differ on shape of earth". Because the news outlets refuse to offer any evidence or refute anything a politican says, they're free to say whatever they want. The politicians who bother to try to speak in full sentences are drowned out by the nutcases who pander and lie.

And it is OUR fault. I mean, how on earth is it that Donald Trump hinting at going for the republican nomination the thing that dominated the news for a few weeks this summer? Because people bought the papers. They don't want actual news. They don't want analysis. They don't want details. They just want something they can digest in 10 seconds then feel superior about.

*Ick this thread is making me RANTY! I'm the one who started it and all I wanted was to share a little Kanye appreciation LOL.

JoyNChrist
09-09-2011, 10:46 AM
:yeahthat: I also don't understand the point of the electoral college. I think elections should be decided on by popular vote.

I also think that the majority of politicians don't have their voters best interests at heart.

If we elected presidents by majority vote, candidates would never have to campaign in small states (or consider their interests). Win California, Texas, and a few others, and you win the election.

We would also see absolute insanity regarding recounts. Imagine the craziness that happened in FL a few years ago multiplied by every single state, every election year.

I agree that voting and politics and general aren't perfect, but going by majority vote on such a wide national scale isn't practical or fair.

ETA - I do wish there was some kind of test over basic understanding of government before people could vote. I don't care if someone can read Shakespeare, do algebra, or explain the fall of the Roman Empire. I don't care if they own land or have kids or even pay their taxes. But if they can't explain how the three branches of government work, how a bill becomes a law, the difference between a republic and a pure democracy, etc, I don't want them voting. I know that's not practical and will never happen (and maybe it's even wrong of me to think that), but yeah, that's my soapbox. ;)

crayonblue
09-09-2011, 10:52 AM
This is a truly unpopular opinion among homeschoolers but here goes:

Most people shouldn't homeschool.

There, I said it.

Some people are great at teaching, others are not. Just because someone desires to homeschool and thinks it is best for their children doesn't mean they are capable teachers.

A select few are really good at homeschooling and more power to them!

(I was homeschooled.)

buddyleebaby
09-09-2011, 10:57 AM
If you are not trying to be snarky and you truly want answers, the best place to go, IMHO, is the Catholic answers forum. It's a Catholic message board but there are Christian Theologians from all denominations there who debate and discuss. It's really interesting and you can ask anything there. I find it fascinating.

I am on my iPhone and don't know how to do a link but if you
google "catholic answers forum" it's the first choice that pops up. I think the web address is forums.catholic.com but i have trouble accessing when I type that directly, for some reason.

What about my post is coming across as snarky?

Again...I am aware of what the Catholic Church says on the subject.
I grew up in a (Episcopal) rectory. My Father has his Masters in Divinity. I taught Sunday School. I was an acolyte. I go to Mass every Sunday. My children go to Church School. I go to Bible Study. I volunteer to feed the homeless.

I don't care to debate religion because I don't think it's a debate that can ever be "won". I think faith is a very personal thing, and I shared some things that I *personally* struggle with, even knowing what the Church says the answers are.

I do understand wanting to share the peace that you have found in your faith, and maybe others who believe have a hard time seeing someone like me struggle? I don't know. But I don't feel the need to go out and talk about it. Everyone has their guess as to what the answers are, but only one knows. ;)

Green_Tea
09-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Buddyleebaby, I think Gatorsmom thought maybe you were being snarky because your OP:

What about all the people who lived before Jesus? If they had to follow certain rules to get into heaven, shouldn't they have known about the rules? Or do they go to Heaven by default? If they didn't have to live a certain way, why do we?

made it sound like you weren't aware of the OT, but your follow-up emphasized how devoted and well educated about religion you actually are. The two responses don't seem to "match" - and the tone of the second one was hard to read but sounded defensive (at least that's the tone I got.)

gatorsmom
09-09-2011, 11:10 AM
What about my post is coming across as snarky?

Again...I am aware of what the Catholic Church says on the subject.
I grew up in a (Episcopal) rectory. My Father has his Masters in Divinity. I taught Sunday School. I was an acolyte. I go to Mass every Sunday. My children go to Church School. I go to Bible Study. I volunteer to feed the homeless.

I don't care to debate religion because I don't think it's a debate that can ever be "won". I think faith is a very personal thing, and I shared some things that I *personally* struggle with, even knowing what the Church says the answers are.

I do understand wanting to share the peace that you have found in your faith, and maybe others who believe have a hard time seeing someone like me struggle? I don't know. But I don't feel the need to go out and talk about it. Everyone has their guess as to what the answers are, but only one knows. ;)

I didn't say you were being snarky. Actually, I couldn't tell what the tone of you post was, and couldn't tell if you were putting down my faith or were answering sincerely. I just thought that anyone who really did have a question about Christianity could find some interesting discussions going on at that website . I thougt it could be helpful since there are a lot more learned theologians over there than over here.

It's all good here, dude. :D

kijip
09-09-2011, 11:17 AM
My UO is that anyone who eats factory farm meat is committing an immoral act. (is that inflammatory enough lol??). Seriously - we all know those creatures live tortured, horrible, painful lives.

Also? I think SNL is often funny.

I do not disagree with you actually. This is why we both eat less meat, don't eat meat everyday, and also get it primarily from local farms. Still I understand that I am not being consistent or living up to my ideas when I eat meat at a restaurant in most cases.

pinkmomagain
09-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I think people who go to college for the experience with no thought of their intended career and no intention of using their degrees in a job that can actually support them are idiots. There are plenty of ways to become a well-rounded individual.

I giggled when I read this because I almost posted the exact opposite as an unpopular opinion.

I wish all kids who go to college could have a liberal arts education as an undergrad and be able to pursue whatever interests them. Then hone in on more of a career-based program as a graduate student. I am grateful to have had that opportunity and hope to give it to my children. I know it's just not feasible/practical for many. I wish this country's education was set up differently.

mmommy
09-09-2011, 11:24 AM
I think big cities are fantastic places to raise a family. Sure, there are downsides, however I believe those are greatly outweighed by the bonuses. I live in NYC, and it seems like many people are trying to move to the suburbs as soon as they give birth.

lizzywednesday
09-09-2011, 11:30 AM
I think big cities are fantastic places to raise a family. Sure, there are downsides, however I believe those are greatly outweighed by the bonuses. I live in NYC, and it seems like many people are trying to move to the suburbs as soon as they give birth.

Based on the deal coupons for classes & activities that I've been emailed from various services, I tend to agree .... but you absolutely have to be a "city person."

I am not, and I am OK with that.

We visit NYC & Philly whenever we can, though!

buddyleebaby
09-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Buddyleebaby, I think Gatorsmom thought maybe you were being snarky because your OP:

made it sound like you weren't aware of the OT, but your follow-up emphasized how devoted and well educated about religion you actually are. The two responses don't seem to "match" - and the tone of the second one was hard to read but sounded defensive (at least that's the tone I got.)

Well, yes, the "PSA" annoyed me a tiny bit because I shared something very personal and was basically told (in a slightly condescending tone, including a definition) that all these questions have been answered, and if I knew anything about my faith, I should know that. Which implies I am ignorant or maybe just a bad Christian for questioning the Church's answer.
I don't see snark in my original post. I thought I made it clear that it was a personal struggle. If others felt that I was attacking or putting down their faith, including the poster who felt the need to post a "PSA", I apologize. Truly.

Nicsmom
09-09-2011, 11:36 AM
I giggled when I read this because I almost posted the exact opposite as an unpopular opinion.

I wish all kids who go to college could have a liberal arts education as an undergrad and be able to pursue whatever interests them. Then hone in on more of a career-based program as a graduate student.

I thought the same thing. I don't see going to college only from a pragmatic standpoint - to learn a set of skills and then get a job in a particular area. I see it as a way to better oneself, to learn about the world and our place in it, to become more educated in areas that later in life you won't have time to explore. I can go on and on on the reasons of going to college besides finding a job. Maybe you can do all that without going to college, but it's much much harder, and universities have all the reaosurces to make this search easier. Plus, if you are not sure what you want to do in life, a university might help you find the answer.

LBW
09-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I am alum at one of THE biggest college FB programs in the US and I am probably the only person at the school that NEVER attended a game and never watches the game.

Where? ND class of '95 here. I went to a couple of football games my freshman year and hated them. I sold my tickets every other year and haven't watched a game since. Luckily, my husband feels the same way for the most part. He watches the occasional ice hockey game, but that's it.

jenfromnj
09-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Here's mine: not everyone should be allowed to have kids. Wish there were a process like the one for adoption before people have any children. You should be able to care for children from a financial and emotional standpoint.

I so agree with this one! I mean, seriously, I need a license to drive my car, to own my dog, to have a yard sale in my driveway. But something so enormous, a colossal and (at least) 18 year responsibility, a huge financial, emotional, physical commitment? Nada. I get the whole reproductive freedom thing (just like I get the right to vote), but I just think it would be better if potential parents at least had a true view of what they were getting themselves into.

Ceepa
09-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Providing your child attention and cleaning your house are not mutually exclusive. I don't understand people who say I'm OK with my dirty house because my child's memories aren't going to be of living in a museum and seeing mom killing herself cleaning all the time.

My house gets messy but I don't use 'I was nurturing my kids instead' as an excuse.

BayGirl2
09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Not sure I should get started on this again today, but a few I agree with and forgot yesterday:

I can't stand TV news anymore. It feels like one side against the other with no respect for difference views. The local news is almost worse because now they try to integrate the "man on the street" type stuff through social media. The last thing I want to hear is what some random potential-idiot thinks about what's happening. I want deep analysis that looks at all sides of a situation, not sensationalism and emotional responses. That can't always be generated 30 seconds after something happens. I read the Economist weekly and jump on the internet occasionally and intend to teach my children to read the news.

I also think cities are a great place to grow up. I am not a suburbs person, where I live now is outside of a major city, but still has a very urban feel. I'd rather live in the country (although I'd go crazy) than in a place that is not walkable and filled with wide highways, and strip malls of chain restaurants. (No judgement to those who like that environment.)

I also hope to never own a minivan. I get the convenience and comfort, but I just can't go from what I have now to that. If we have 3-4 kids we'll get a larger SUV for longer family trips. We also drive very little and want to continue to live a walkable lifestyle.

Some of these are lifestyle things, so unpopular on this board but not so unpopular IRL for me.

AnnieW625
09-09-2011, 11:58 AM
This post sucked too much of my time yesterday

I don't want the Bush tax cuts to go away

I don't want the mortgage deduction to go away

I have never once declared the sales tax that I haven't paid for products bought online that don't have a B&M store in California. Less than 3% of Californian's actually do this and the Board of Equalization doesn't employ enough people to catch everyone and I am fine with that.

Add me to the anti minivan camp. I don't see the point unless you have 3 or more kids.

wellyes
09-09-2011, 12:02 PM
So am I the only one who still doesn't like driving around large SUVs? I grew up on a road with major big rig traffic and I feel the same way about big SUVs that I did about them........... that if any idiot or drunk gets a hold of one of those he'll kill a whole lot of people. Cars are dangerous, extremely big heavy powerful vehicles are far more dangerous. The worst are the ones with deer guards! I mean, yes, if you're in rural Maine, a deer guard is a good idea. If you live in a highly congested suburb of Boston you are far more likely to crush a PERSON than to save yourself from an oncoming deer.

AnnieW625
09-09-2011, 12:08 PM
So am I the only one who still doesn't like driving around large SUVs? I grew up on a road with major big rig traffic and I feel the same way about big SUVs that I did about them........... that if any idiot or drunk gets a hold of one of those he'll kill a whole lot of people. Cars are dangerous, extremely big heavy powerful vehicles are far more dangerous. The worst are the ones with deer guards! I mean, yes, if you're in rural Maine, a deer guard is a good idea. If you live in a highly congested suburb of Boston you are far more likely to crush a PERSON than to save yourself from an oncoming deer.

I don't either, but the mid size Pilot was the best vehicle for us because it wasn't overly huge, and I feel comfortable driving it. I will not drive any car larger than that. I wouldn't drive our large 1996 Chevy long bed pickup and we have a large dog so we needed some sort of car with a larger hatch and DH didn't care for the Outback styling, and didn't like the Volvo V70, and the V50 felt like it had no headroom (and I am not tall). We almost went with a CRV, but the Pilot wasn't much more money and we like the little bit bigger space. I can't wait until I can drive a sedan or a small wagon again. Thankfully we have more options now:)

BayGirl2
09-09-2011, 12:16 PM

You are definitely not the only one. I drive a MINI Cooper, upgrading to a 4dr MINI Countryman soon. I feel much safer in that then in my old Durango. We do have a small SUV (Jeep Liberty), but its not my favorite and I won't drive a large SUV unless we have a legitimate need (i.e. 3+ kids).

daisymommy
09-09-2011, 12:23 PM

ETA: A "PSA" was not necessary. I am well informed. (On more than one religion.) Some things I accept, but I also have doubts, that are not relieved by scripture for *me*. That doesn't mean that I think you, or what you believe, is wrong.

I'm so sorry. I totally didn't mean in it a condescending way. I had no personal knowledge of what your background is, I had no idea that you were aware of the O.T. and have attended church, and were conflicted/doubtful as to some matters of religion...because you didn't say that in your OP. I thought you were were a non-religious/church person with questions, and I was just trying to answer them.

I was using PSA in a conversational, light hearted, "just wanted to share some information in the hopes that it might be helpful" sort of way.

And I totally get that what I believe is not what others believe, nor did I mean my post in a judgmental tone. I apologize if my words came out that way.

ashleybama24
09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
If we elected presidents by majority vote, candidates would never have to campaign in small states (or consider their interests). Win California, Texas, and a few others, and you win the election.

We would also see absolute insanity regarding recounts. Imagine the craziness that happened in FL a few years ago multiplied by every single state, every election year.

I agree that voting and politics and general aren't perfect, but going by majority vote on such a wide national scale isn't practical or fair.

It would be nice at a minimum if people were required to know a few facts about who they were voting for and could at least explain WHY they were voting for that person.

I think the electoral college is an antiquated system that was created over 100 years ago when news and technology were not as advanced as they are today. People were more likely to vote for a candidate because there were from their home state or because they were previously elected rather than on what the candidate stood for and accomplished.

Being a democrat in a republican state it is uber frustrating because my vote doesn't matter. In fact since this is the home state of Rick Perry I can guarantee Obama probably won't step foot here in the next election. And guess what Texans have been trying to vote Gov Perry out of office for years! In fact he won reelection a few years ago simply because no one could commonly support any of the 3 other candidates. If it had been a majority vote he would have lost.

JoyNChrist
09-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Being a democrat in a republican state it is uber frustrating because my vote doesn't matter.

I definitely feel you there. Democrat in Louisiana. ;)

maestramommy
09-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Okay, along the line of minivans and SUVs.

I totally get that minivans are an ideal family car (more so than an SUV! Is that unpopular?) if you have more kids. More cargo room, more seats, lower to the ground, so safer. That said, I really don't want one. My thread of a few weeks ago notwithstanding, I am determined to squeeze every inch of utility out of my Accord before I succumb. Yes, once you have 3 kids it gets harder to deal with a sedan. People ask me all the time, "how the heck do you fit 3 kids in the back?" Well, it DOES have 3 seats in the back! Maybe the minivan is the right car for some families with 3 kids, or even 2 kids, but I just don't believe this is really true as a general principle, across the board. Like, the minute you have 3 kids, "well you need a minivan."Why is that so automatic? or is it just the USA? Even the sliding doors. I've had people tell me, "the sliding doors make my life so much easier! Don't know what I did before we had em." Really? you don't? Does everything in life have to be so optimal as to be acceptable? Huge SUVS used to be my other beef, but Dh recently told me that SUVS are statistically safer now than cars ever since stability and traction control were invented.

Okay, it's Friday, been a long week, I'll be a ball of stress till Sunday, so my filter is really low right now. :p And this thread is incredibly carthartic. I love reading all the views I staunchly disagree with but am not offended. Apologize in advance to all minivan owners! Not judging YOU for having one. I Just don't think it's that weird not to have one.

mommylamb
09-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I disagree with the concept that not everyone should have the right to vote/be encouraged to vote, though I understand the frustration. Instead, I think it is a moral imperative that people educate themselves about the issues. I know lots of good people who would rather keep their head in the sand and are just not interested in policy (and I mean policy, not politics), and IMO (since this a thread about unpopular opinions) everyone should have an obligation to inform themselves. And they should vote.

I also think the electoral college is antiquated-- based on a time when we had a weak federal government, which I think it not in our best interest in a modern society. Then again, I believe in a living constitution, which is also an unpopular opinion in some circles.

buddyleebaby
09-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm so sorry. I totally didn't mean in it a condescending way. I had no personal knowledge of what your background is, I had no idea that you were aware of the O.T. and have attended church, and were conflicted/doubtful as to some matters of religion...because you didn't say that in your OP. I thought you were were a non-religious/church person with questions, and I was just trying to answer them.

I was using PSA in a conversational, light hearted, "just wanted to share some information in the hopes that it might be helpful" sort of way.

And I totally get that what I believe is not what others believe, nor did I mean my post in a judgmental tone. I apologize if my words came out that way.

I did say, in my very first post, that I consider myself to be Roman Catholic, but struggle with some of the Church's teachings. I also said that I like going to Church.
That being said, if you skimmed over that part of my post, I can appreciate where you were coming from. You thought I was saying that the Church did not provide these answers to ANYONE, and came forward to educate me about your faith. I think that many people, if they felt their faith was being misunderstood, would do the same.
No worries.

hellokitty
09-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Lol, that is interesting. I have the opposite experience with epidurals. Had one for DS1, it would be what most would consider a, "good" epidural experience, except that I felt like it was an out-of-body experience and I felt disconnected from the entire birthing process. I did not feel the urge to push and had to be told to push. I did not like that feeling of being out of control and zoned out (the epidural was the only thing I had, so no, I did not have ay other pain meds on board). Ds2 and DS3 were natural, with no meds and while it hurt, I felt more, "with it" than my birth with the epidural. I just did not realize how zoned out the epidural would make me feel, if it weren't for that, I may have gotten it again for my later births.

like hellokitty and others, i am not a fan of professional sports. i am definitely in the minority here in Texas (football is like a religion here!!!).

oh and another one i just thought of

i :heartbeat: epidurals. Love them!! never had probs or side effects with them. with DS i was going to try for natural birth but DS was early the doula ended up being out of town so we were on our own. I ended up getting en epidural at the very end, for the last hour after 24 hour labor. After DS was born i was just so exhausted. With DD, soon after i realized i was in true labor and after getting to the hospital i got meds and then epidural as soon as possible. i had a MUCH better birthing experience and felt a thousand times better (not as exhausted) after the birth. If/when we have a 3rd I'm definitely getting pain meds again. For me it provides for a much better experience where I can actually enjoy my baby instead of focusing on how much pain i was going through.

SIL also had her first 2 unmedicated (and she was induced). With her 3rd she went for an epidural and later commented that it was so much better experience and wonder why she didn't get it with her first two. At the time i didn't understand what she meant (it was before i had kids at all) but now I totally get it and thought the same thing.

Clarity
09-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Lol, that is interesting. I have the opposite experience with epidurals.

Me too. I had an epidural birth w/dd1 and I did not respond well to the drugs. I was so incredibly itchy from the epidural that I had to be given a large dose of benadryl following the birth. I was totally doped up and spaced out - you should see the pictures! LOL

DD2 came so fast there was no time for an epidural and I felt great after I gave birth to her. I have to say that while the birth was crazy intense, I would seriously consider going sans epidural again because of how bad my itching reaction was.

Carrots
09-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I listened to Howard Stern until DD1 was 16 or 18mos old and really starting to pick up words, and Howard moved to XM. I still miss him!!

ETA: My opinion is that while he's definitely crude, he's VERY intelligent and thought provoking. Talk about opinions - he's certainly got 'em!

I LOVE Stern. We have Sirius, but I just don't get time to listen to him. He is hilarious and intelegent. He is an incredible interviewer, although I tend to turn off the srtipper interviews only because they are all the same. I really miss Artie and think Fred is a genious.

We eat McDonalds. We have plastic toys. We watch TV. I use chemical cleaners. :bag

crayonblue
09-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I definitely feel you there. Democrat in Louisiana. ;)

Ha, I was a Republican in Maryland. That never went over well!

Reyadawnbringer
09-09-2011, 01:21 PM
I have something to add, but my phone is being wonky so I will update this post when I get home.

Clarity
09-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Ha, I was a Republican in Maryland. That never went over well!

And is it much better in California? LOL

hellokitty
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM

I don't like driving really big SUVs either. The biggest I've driven is a ford explorer. ITA that a lot of ppl who drive big SUVs are jerks and take over the road, plus if they suck at driving, they can hurt/kill lots of ppl. My mil for example. She totaled her SUV on the freeway, b/c she HIT a minivan on the SIDE of the freeway, that had a flat tire and the guy was trying to change the tire. He literally flew UP in the air when she hit him. She is sooo lucky that he was not killed or seriously hurt, had he been in the car, maybe he'd be dead though. As for her, she got VERY lucky and only broke her heel bone on one foot. When asked why the @#$% she was driving on the side of the freeway, she said, "I've done it before, but usually there are no other cars there (basically, she felt it was the minivan's fault for blocking her way, she claims absolutely no responsibility for her crappy driving and lack of any sort of logical thought!)." DUH! That's b/c it is only for emergency situations, dumba$$. She claims that someone cut her off, so that is why she decided to drive where you shouldn't be driving, but the fact that she admitted that she's done it several other times before, leads me to believe that she made up the part about being cut off. So, what does she do? She decided that, b/c she broke her heel, that she would need a BIGGER SUV to replace the one she totaled (which btw, was only 2 yrs old, and to give you an idea of how bad of a driver she is, she has gotten into so many car accidents, that her insurance wanted to drop her, I'm sure her rates are sky high, every 2 yrs she gets into an accident). My DH and I told her, "absolutely NOT!" She's only thinking about herself, but my DH's and my opinion are that my mil would literally KILL ppl if she drove a larger SUV. We talked her into getting a smaller SUV, but her sense of entitlement and disregard for anyone else's safety infuriates me. It wasn't until THAT accident, btw that she finally started to wear a seat belt. This is after over a decade of my DH and I bugging her to wear a seat belt and her response was always, "I am a safe driver, so I don't have to wear a seat belt" says the lady who gets into so many accidents her insurance wants to drop her. Ugh.

AnnieW625
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
When I lived in San Diego I felt safer driving on I-8 with big rigs or the Mexican nationals than I did with people who are from San Diego. San Diego drivers just don't know how to merge either. I almost got hit a number of times. I grew up on freeways littered with big rigs and honestly they never scared me much, I was way more scared of people passing big rigs at 100 mph.

Where CrayonBlue lives in San Diego that's a better place to be a Republican than many other parts of California.

hellokitty
09-09-2011, 02:01 PM
This is a truly unpopular opinion among homeschoolers but here goes:

Most people shouldn't homeschool.

There, I said it.

Some people are great at teaching, others are not. Just because someone desires to homeschool and thinks it is best for their children doesn't mean they are capable teachers.

A select few are really good at homeschooling and more power to them!

(I was homeschooled.)

I agree with this. I actually know quite a few ppl who homeschool. About half of them, it is working out fine, it suits them and their children well. However, there are a few that are really struggling and I feel like just telling them to give it up already, you can see from a mile away that it's not a good situation.

One of them is great at HSing and her kids are very bright, except that it is driving her to the looney bin. She absolutely hates it and has basically been a single parent for as long as I have known her, b/c her DH is a workaholic and took on basically two full time jobs, EVEN THOUGH, they are quite well off from his main job to begin with. The single parenting and being with the kids 24/7 is making her miserable, and it's like everyone can see this, except for her. She has her kids HSing through a christian charter school, so that they could attend the B&M school if they want/need to, but she cannot let go, refuses to send them to public school (she told me that, "public school teaches children to become gay," a comment that literally made my mouth fall open) and let her boys go to the christian school, even though the pgrm was designed for HSers who might be in her situation, where HSing wasn't working out anymore and it's time to transition to B&M school for the sake of the parent and children.

Another friend already neglects her kids to begin with and now she wants to homeschool. It has disaster written all over it. I know it will not last and sadly I think that it will really hurt her kids, b/c they will be very behind when she ends up enrolling them and she doesn't interact with her kids and can also be extremely cold. Her 3 yr old was too afraid to participate in dance class and she basically bitched about it on facebook. Several of us piped in that some kids are just slow to warm up and to wait and try again later, but she was seriously furious at her daughter about this and just completely blamed her 3 yr old for it! I don't see how someone who has this sort of attitude is going to have the patience to HS her children.

There is another one I know who is extremely laid back, nothing wrong with that, but her kids are really wild. Luckily, she HS through an online charter school, or else I know she would not be able to keep at any sort of schedule at all. For her kids, it wouldn't be a bad thing for them to get into a more normal routine (they do not get up earlier than 10-11am, which is one reason she didn't want to send her kids to school), and to learn to follow the rules. They are two of the roughest kids (I have caught them bullying before) in our moms group and while I like my friend, the reason her kids are like this is b/c she is too laid back when it comes to discipline. I'm not saying she has to be super strict, but a little bit of discipline is not a bad thing.

BabyBearsMom
09-09-2011, 02:04 PM
she told me that, "public school teaches children to become gay," a comment that literally made my mouth fall open.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but if someone said that to me, I probably wouldn't speak to them ever again.

boolady
09-09-2011, 02:14 PM
This might be an unpopular opinion, but if someone said that to me, I probably wouldn't speak to them ever again.

I certainly hope that wouldn't be an unpopular opinion! I'd be right with you.

boolady
09-09-2011, 02:16 PM
My unpopular opinion, or at least minority opinion on this board:

Men and women can absolutely be platonic friends when that is what they both expect them to be, and me being alone in a room with a male friend or colleague does not mean that either one of us is going to be tempted to rip each other's clothes off simply because the opportunity is there.

ETA: Wait, maybe that reflects poorly on me. I jest, I jest....

YouAreTheFocus
09-09-2011, 02:18 PM

:yeahthat: That's nutty on so many levels, I wouldn't know where to begin!

gatorsmom
09-09-2011, 02:23 PM
)

I gotta agree with this. I found out this summer that I would never make it homeschoolimg my kids. I homeschooled Gator second grade Saxon Math. Most of the time I just wanted to scream, "you said you wanted to do this so why are dragging your feet? Let's just get this done!!!". And I think he is now THRILLED to be back in his B & M school. I now feel for sure that our kids are better off in school. No doubt in my mind!! I'll save the teaching for the professinals. :D

hellokitty
09-09-2011, 02:27 PM

Lol, I agree. I've let our friendship drift apart since that statement. I mean, maybe it is b/c I'm not christian, but I don't really understand that comment. How does public school make your child gay??? One of her other friends told me the same thing (obviously, their evangelical church is teaching them this), and her kids DO go to public school, but she says she does her best to shield her children. I asked her, "HOW does it make them gay?" She gave me this very cryptic answer of, "if you pay attn, you will notice it." It just made me feel like they were wearing tin foil hats or something, b/c I am trying very hard to understand what/why they would make that sort of comment, but they are not explaining where they are coming from at all, so I just don't get it.

Anyway, during the last presidential election, my homeschooling friend was so aggressive with trying to push her rah rah Palin viewpoints on me, I was pretty upset. She KNOWS that I am pretty much the polar opposite of her when it comes to politics, yet she so in my face about it. I do NOT like to talk religion/politics with her, b/c I know we disagree, so I feel like I am respectful of her, but she's not respectful of me. I feel like she has really changed. I've known her for 7 yrs, and the first 3-4 yrs were really good. Hoever, I think she has a lot of personal issues and her marriage is not-the-greatest in the past few yrs, her husband is a bit of a jerk, she is over-worked and spread too thin, and basically she has gotten really bizarre and extreme in some of her viewpoints. It's like she is a totally different person from the one I originally met 7 yrs ago, kwim?

JoyNChrist
09-09-2011, 02:29 PM
My unpopular opinion, or at least minority opinion on this board:

Men and women can absolutely be platonic friends when that is what they both expect them to be, and me being alone in a room with a male friend or colleague does not mean that either one of us is going to be tempted to rip each other's clothes off simply because the opportunity is there.

ETA: Wait, maybe that reflects poorly on me. I jest, I jest....

I'm with you! My best friend is a man (in fact, he was my "man of honor" at my wedding). I don't have siblings, so I can't be sure, but I can't imagine that I'm any more romantically tempted by him than I would be by my brother. Even though he's one of the people I love the most in this world. :)

liamsmom
09-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I'll play.

I think military service should be compulsory for all men and women. Four-year contract for all men and women at age 18. We can also include an option of community service as a non-violent alternative, but that's not some celebrity-busted for DUI community service. I'm talking about working 40+ hours a week in shelters, schools and hospitals for four years.

I'm an unapologetic radical feminist. I believe that gender stereotypes hurt everyone alike. I can't stand when my friends blame their husbands' behavior on gender, as opposed to the person's own shortcomings.

I don't care what my kid wears. I don't see the point in dressing him up--he's a toddler, not a doll. As far as I can tell, the only advantage to dresses is easy access for diaper changes.

When homelessness, human trafficking, slavery and slave-like working conditions, genocide, and famine no longer exist, I will start to give two cents for animal rights.

I had never even heard of Taylor Swift before Kanye interrupted her. I think she owed him a great deal of thanks for the free publicity which ultimately made her career. Instead, she wrote a whiny song about it.

Eminem is scumbag who used his talents (yeah, I think he's quite good) to make millions from describing multiple acts of violence towards the mother of his child. Courtney Love, while quite a hot mess in her personal life, is underrated as a lyricist.

I think rap is a technically harder style of music to create and perform than most of the same 3-chord country and pop songs out there today.

ijopint
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Fun Thread!

1. I believe in gay rights and I do not have any problem with them adopting kids.
2. Vatican is the richest corporation in the whole world. The VAtican Museum (holy molly! )It could potentially feed all the hungry children in the poor countries.
3. I do not give my kids freedom of choice when it comes to foods. I decide what and when to give them "juice ,candy etc..".
4. Che Guevarra is a hero at least fro DH
5. I do not get "why would you sport a fake LV or Chanel bag if it is a fake at all". :ROTFLMAO:
6. All public schools should require uniform and school uniform should not be so expensive!
7. I truly understand what a stroller obsession at all from this forum! :D
and lastly BIRTHDAYS ARE TO BE CELEBRATED WITH THE MOTHERS TOO AND THEY SHOULD ALSO GET A GIFT FROM DH OR DC B/C THEY WERE THE ONE WHO WAS IN THE LABOR THAT DAY! I always tell this to my friends that Mothers should be appreciated too on the day they were born. A flowers or simple gift for your mom on your birthday.

g-mama
09-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I had never even heard of Taylor Swift before Kanye interrupted her. I think she owed him a great deal of thanks for the free publicity which ultimately made her career. Instead, she wrote a whiny song about it.

Yes, that is definitely an unpopular opinion, for sure. If you hadn't heard of her, you were in the vast minority. Maybe you just don't listen to the genre of music she plays? Kanye didn't make her career. She already had a successful career at that point, and was the highest-selling country artist of 2008. She was the youngest person, at age 14, to ever be signed a writing deal by a major record label. Do you really think she should've thanked him for publicly putting her down?

boogiemomz
09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes, that is definitely an unpopular opinion, for sure. If you hadn't heard of her, you were in the vast minority. Maybe you just don't listen to the genre of music she plays? Kanye didn't make her career. She already had a successful career at that point, and was the highest-selling country artist of 2008. She was the youngest person, at age 14, to ever be signed a writing deal by a major record label. Do you really think she should've thanked him for publicly putting her down?

:yeahthat: Way to stick up for her. Yes, she appeals to the teeny-bop masses, but I didn't realize until recently that she is a very talented, legitimate musician. She writes all her own songs, VERY rare for artists in that genre, especially at her age, and she sings while playing piano/guitar in her live performances. Kanye humiliated her and it was wrong. SHE won the award, so she was already doing alright by then, but he said she shouldn't have. In my original post here, one of my unpopular opinions (at least among adults :)) was that I respect her as a musician. I don't really listen to her music myself, but I do respect and admire her as a legitimate artist.

arivecchi
09-09-2011, 03:07 PM
I suspect this is another unpopular opinion: I can't get past Taylor swift's awful hair. Please let someone tame that wild crazy hair! The side part just kills me.

wellyes
09-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Taylor is as much of a twit as Kanye. http://www.urlesque.com/2010/11/17/taylor-swift-shocked-supercut/

curiousgeorge
09-09-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't see that this one has been mentioned, and I'm certainly not trying to start a political debate...but, one thing that I really struggle to find validity with is the Estate Tax.

Why should what you earned/built/worked for be taken from you just because you die? Why shouldn't that directly transfer to your next of kin, no questions ask, no tax levied?

Should I be ducking now? :duck:

Nicsmom
09-09-2011, 03:12 PM
4. Che Guevarra is a hero at least fro DH

Funny that you mention this one, because one of my unpopular opinions is that Che Guevara was a murderer and people should not wear t-shirts or have posters with his image without learning first what he did and not what he represents. The irony is that he must be turning in his grave seeing the capitalist machinery at work selling his image in t-shirts.

crayonblue
09-09-2011, 03:16 PM

In San Diego, yes. :)

ETA: At least the part we live in.

g-mama
09-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Taylor is as much of a twit as Kanye. http://www.urlesque.com/2010/11/17/taylor-swift-shocked-supercut/

What? I don't get your point.

He's an arrogant a-hole (though I do like his music) who runs his mouth all the time, constantly sticking his foot in it...and she's on par with him b/c she is surprised by her good fortune and the immense admiration she's being showed at such a young age, winning awards when competing against veteran musicians?

If a young woman who has integrity and standards (unlike many young female musicians, esp right now) is going to be berated for reacting inappropriately (?) to her success, then I seriously don't know what America wants.

liz
09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
ITA that a lot of ppl who drive big SUVs are jerks .

That's a blanket statement, no? I drive an SUV and I have never had an accident and I do not think I own the road. We all have the right to choose what we drive and it shouldn't be a reflection on our personalities. Plus, what do you say about minivan or pickup truck owners? They can be similar in size to an SUV.

liamsmom
09-09-2011, 03:39 PM
LOL, I really tapped into some strong Taylor Swift opinions. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek about a thank you note to Kanye, but I stand by that his bad behavior made her a star. She wasn't front page news outside of the country charts before the VMAs. Would she have gone on to be both host and musical guest on SNL had she just accepted her award? Would the POTUS weighed in with his opinion, albeit off-record, if there was no controversy? I think not.

TS gets a lot of complaints that her lyrics are too simple, about high school and boys, and she's in her mid-20s. Lady Gaga is only one year older than Taylor. Personally, I'd prefer to see more female musicians in the mainstream that fall between these two extremes.

Clarity
09-09-2011, 03:41 PM
That's a blanket statement, no? I drive an SUV and I have never had an accident and I do not think I own the road. We all have the right to choose what we drive and it shouldn't be a reflection on our personalities. Plus, what do you say about minivan or pickup truck owners? They can be similar in size to an SUV.

It wasn't a blanket statement. She said "a lot of people" not "everybody". FWIW, I drive an SUV too.

StantonHyde
09-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Providing your child attention and cleaning your house are not mutually exclusive. I don't understand people who say I'm OK with my dirty house because my child's memories aren't going to be of living in a museum and seeing mom killing herself cleaning all the time.

My house gets messy but I don't use 'I was nurturing my kids instead' as an excuse.

Oh I do--I have to blame it on something :rotflmao:

g-mama
09-09-2011, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=liamsmom;3258840
TS gets a lot of complaints that her lyrics are too simple, about high school and boys, and she's in her mid-20s. Lady Gaga is only one year older than Taylor. [/QUOTE]

Is Lady Gaga really only 22? I thought she was older.

boogiemomz
What? I don't get your point.

He's an arrogant a-hole (though I do like his music) who runs his mouth all the time, constantly sticking his foot in it...and she's on par with him b/c she is surprised by her good fortune and the immense admiration she's being showed at such a young age, winning awards when competing against veteran musicians?

If a young woman who has integrity and standards (unlike many young female musicians, esp right now) is going to be berated for reacting inappropriately (?) to her success, then I seriously don't know what America wants.

:yeahthat: I thought that video was pretty mean. Those are candid moments for her, strung together to make her look like an idiot. You can make anyone look stupid that way. She's just a baby, and her wildest dreams are coming true. I hardly call her a twit for being excited and surprised at the immense recognition and praise she is receiving. And if, to some degree, she is acting (we can never know that), how should she act instead? Arrogant and entitled? Hardly puts her in the same class with Kanye, who deliberately berated an innocent person who had never done him any harm or disrespect on a forum that is as public as it gets.

Clarity
I've noticed that here and there people are taking exception to what other people have said. The entire point of this thread is to say things that ARE unpopular! I kind of think if you don't agree or are easily offended you should either not be reading this thread or you should try to keep it to yourself.

People who are posting should not be afraid of being called out (outrageous statements, i.e. racist, hate speech, etc. excluded) otherwise there's no point having this thread.