PDA

View Full Version : Hair Salon Tipping WWYD

Mommy_Again
09-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Last week I spent $350 to get my hair cut and get a thermal reconditioning treatment (like Japanese straightening). Plus a $40 tip on top of that. I've been going to my stylist for years and love her to death. The treatment didn't work on my hair (I apparently need a stronger formula) and the cut isn't working for me either. I called her, she told me to come back in and she will re-do everything at no cost to me, she wants me to be happy. I told her I felt so bad (it will be 3+ hours of her time) and she said "don't be ridiculous - I just want you to be happy so don't worry about it for a minute." She is so sweet and I have a great relationship with her. At the time of the cut, she was effusive about telling me to come back if I wasn't happy and she would fix it.

Would you tip again? I'm almost $400 into this...which is a lot for me - I really don't spend a ton on my hair, but I've been wanting to make some drastic changes for a while. I feel bad that this is half a day for her that she's not making money...but at the same time, I'm not really keen on shelling out more $$, you know? And I feel like a small amount ($20 or so) would be kind of insulting considering how long she'll spend on me.

citymama
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Yikes, that is crazy money! You absolutely need a haircut you love. I don't know what I'd do - is she an owner? Maybe someone else would know, because I know I would be feeling super frugal after shelling out $400 for a haircut that didn't work out!

wellyes
09-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I think she is absolutely obligated to fix it for free, but I would definitely tip again, personally. Especially since the first tip was on the low end (obviously $40 is a lot of money but it's also less than 15%).

waitingforgrace
09-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Yes I would tip again if you like the new cut she gives you ( I know that's tough to know when you leave right away) if you plan to keep seeing her.

nfowife
09-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I'll be the dissenter but I wouldn't tip again. Let her fix it so you are happy. You already tipped her, though I usually do 20%... so you should've given her $70 the first time.

liz
09-08-2011, 01:24 PM
I recently had to have my color fixed (I didn't love the new color) and I did not tip my colorist because it was a quick fix. You mentioned in your post that it would take 3 hours to "fix" your hair. That is a long time, so I would tip again.

minnie-zb
09-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Yes, you should tip again and it should be at 15% (minimum) of the original total. That's $51.

AnnieW625
09-08-2011, 01:33 PM
I'll be the dissenter but I wouldn't tip again. Let her fix it so you are happy. You already tipped her, though I usually do 20%... so you should've given her $70 the first time.

:yeahthat:, but I also don't think that there shouldn't be a set standard of 20% tip for a hair cut esp. if the cost of the service is a lot of money and you are a regular client. I am more likely to only tip 20% the first couple of times I go there because I want them know I am happy with the service and I'll come back, but if I am paying $150 for a hair cut (ie, two colors/cuts or highlights and a perm at the same time) and I am not happy with the service or I am not the only client at the same time I don't feel like I am obliged to pay a 20% tip automatically. It's like the automatic tip for parties of 8 or more at most restaurants. Bugs me to no end because service could be crappy and you still have to pay an 18% tip.

(sorry for the sidebar!)

Globetrotter
09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
OP, would you mind sharing the name of the treatment?

I had a Brazillian blowout zero that did not work at ALL - it just made my hair frizzier! They offered to redo it for free with the original formula (which I'm not comfortable with) or the Aveda retexturizing system.

I was planning to tip again when I do it, though it annoys me that I will be paying $60 more for something that didn't work the first time! I was also irritated by the attitude of some of the staff. OTOH, some other stylists later told me the Zero is useless so they don't recommend it!

Octobermommy
09-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Yes, I would tip again. I would tip at least $50.

mum-to-be
09-08-2011, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't tip - I would feel like I paid for everything the first time. I also think $40 should be fine - it is a large amount of money. But I'm not from a tipping culture so I'm not sure if that is right.

Did she recommend the procedure? If so, I think you shouldn't have to pay anything for her to fix it. It is your time too. And how bummed will you be if you tip again and it doesn't work?

Mommy_Again
09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I was worried that I under-tipped the first time...I wasn't sure what was customary for those 3-hour straightening treatments - because she didn't spend a total of 3 hours on my hair - it was a lot of me waiting for it to soak into my hair (she'd go into the stylist break area).

So the haircut was $50 and the straightening treatment was $300. I usually tip 20% for her cuts.

I did a Rusk one - Thermal Shiny Str8:

http://www.rusk1.com/products.php?pcID=211_260_284

JoyNChrist
09-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't tip again. And I think you tipped plenty the first time around (and I tend to be a higher than average tipper).

justlearning
09-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I would definitely tip again as a way to thank you for re-doing so much for you for free. I also always tip at least 20% of the total bill so I would have tipped more to begin with.

HannaAddict
09-08-2011, 08:28 PM
I think she is absolutely obligated to fix it for free, but I would definitely tip again, personally. Especially since the first tip was on the low end (obviously $40 is a lot of money but it's also less than 15%).

Yeah that, if you like it and she sounds great about fixing it and making you happy. That is a low tip initially, though I know the whole thing was pricey. I would tip at least $40. Hope the next go around leaves you looking and feeling great about your hair.