PDA

View Full Version : Updated with another question Car repair- negotiate more or accept?

SnuggleBuggles
09-08-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm finding the part listed for several hundred less online. Do I print those out and take them in tomorrow when we have the work done to negotiate more or is that always the case- lower prices online than what the dealer charges?

My 1999 Civic went in for an oil change and new tires last Wed. to the dealer. All was fine going in. Since then it has been insanely loud. took it in and the service rep. said that the tech had noted in the file that the car was loud when it left last Wed. but the rep. forgot to tell me. The tech had noted no loud noise upon arrival but when leaving he did. This is dh's car and as soon as he drove it he knew something was wrong- something that wasn't there before.

Caveat before continuing-- We have gone to other places in our day but we like the dealer the best. They have taken good care of the car and I have never doubted them. They have been fair and reasonable. Bottom line, I trust them.

Anyway, took it in today and they found $1000 worth of exhaust work to complete. Ugh!! I voiced my skepticism and concern over the coincidence. My rep. said that they didn't poke holes in our exhaust. He would not take responsibility for the damage but as a "good will gesture" they will give us 10% off the work. The service rep. seemed very concerned about losing our business, making us happy...dude looked straight up nervous when dealing with me.

The car is 12 years old and with the new tires I will be spending what the darned thing is worth in the course of a little over a week.

So, do I take this to a supervisor? Call Honda? Just go with it? What would you do? How would you do it if you were to call? We can't prove they did anything and I can't imagine they did something (maybe I am naive??).

Beth

wendmatt
09-08-2011, 03:57 PM
ugh, that is tough. I would insist that it did not make that noise when you brought it in, the tech noted that there was no loud noise on arrival, so somthing happened. Can they prove that it is not them? That does seem more than a coincidence. Push it a bit more I think, talk to the manager. At least if they convince you that it really is a coincidence you'll fee better about it. Good luck.

HonoluluMom
09-08-2011, 04:26 PM
If they've done good work before and you trust them, I'd probably just go with it. I may ask to speak to the supervisor and maybe ask for an explanation or bigger discount.

But, if you know someone is fairly knowledgeable about car repairs and perhaps familiar with your make/model car, you can ask them what their take is on your situation.