PDA

View Full Version : Kaiser is trying to ruin my birthing experience!

bisous
09-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I've posted about not having a nursery post partum. I've posted about my hospital attempting to enforce a 2 day stay for my c-section. Now I can't wear "makeup, deodorant or lotion" on the day of my surgery. So much for post delivery photos! (or even those cute "I'm heading to the hospital" photos!)

While I'd really love to have a natural birth at a free-standing center, I'm forced by policy, insurance and a certain amount of medical wisdom to have a c-section. Can I at least have my comfortable and more glamorous experience? Do you have to take EVERYTHING from me Kaiser??

I'm being a bit silly about the makeup thing, I know. I just feel like I now have officially nothing to make my experience with a c-section anything less than an uncomfortable, scary experience without a shred of anything positive. Except a baby.

I will have a baby. I'll just keep looking forward to holding that little one.

Still, ugh!

MamaMolly
09-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Oh for heaven's sake. Unless you are coming in with a va-jazzle I can't see what the big deal is about makeup. I'd wear it anyway, but then I'm a rebel.

essnce629
09-08-2011, 05:26 PM
If they're doing it to keep an eye on your color, maybe you can just go without foundation and do your eyes and lips instead. That should be enough so that you still look good in photos, but so the anesthesiologist can still make sure you're not turning blue!

hbridge
09-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I think it has to do with the fragrance thing. Personally, I'd absolutely wear deoderant and makeup! If they need you to take it off once you are there so be it...

echoesofspring
09-08-2011, 06:24 PM
by the time I had my c-sect I was such a wreck (having been there in labor over 36 hours ), I'm sure they wished i had had a bit o'makeup/some deodorant on :)

jal
09-08-2011, 06:37 PM
You could always wear make-up for those "heading to the hospital" pictures, then wash it off once you get to the hospital. And of course you can just take pictures without the makeup... you'll likely be getting some like that afterwards when you get to first hold the baby in your room (all the new moms seem to have that picture).

As for the 2-day stay, I though be law they had to allow a minimum 2-day stay for vaginal births and 3-day stay for c-section.

As for the c-section being scary, after DW's 1st c-section and hearing other women's birthing stories, she's stated that she prefers c-sections to having to go through labor. Of course everyone's situation will be different, but even after 3 c-sections, DW still thinks it's the better way to go (even if statistically it's considered more dangerous).

To put it another way, there ARE some positives to the c-section.
1. You know when it's going to happen (fewer suprises).
2. Less work (no labor and associated labor pains).
3. DH will have to change the first few days diapers since you shouldn't be getting up immediately after surgery.

icunurse
09-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Those are standard things that you are told not to use for *any* surgery. They tell everyone the same thing at every hospital that I know, including the one that I work at. That said, I have worn light make-up (undereye concealor, eye liner, blush, light powder) and I will not go without deodorant. But I don't use lotion - it can make you too greasy and some of the leads and pulse ox monitor might not stick or pick up well. I know it isn't fun, but that's surgery for ya ;)

bisous
09-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks, all for your perspective. I'm glad to know that even those experienced with surgery still use SOME product. I think I could get by with LESS (no foundation, no lotion is definitely not a deal breaker!)

Oh and the 2 day stay is DEFINITELY not within the allowable limits of the law. But I'm still fighting my hospital on it. Don't worry, Twinfoxes pmed me all the official info (codes and such) that I need to fight for my right to 96 hours and I luckily have two BILs who are lawyers who are only so happy to provide letters on their company letterhead...

Yes, two business days before my c-section I'm still dealing with that issue...

Green_Tea
09-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I'd totally wear the make-up and just skip heavy foundation. The worst case scenario is that they make you wash it off. But I bet they won't.

tmahanes
09-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Those are standard things that you are told not to use for *any* surgery. They tell everyone the same thing at every hospital that I know, including the one that I work at. That said, I have worn light make-up (undereye concealor, eye liner, blush, light powder) and I will not go without deodorant. But I don't use lotion - it can make you too greasy and some of the leads and pulse ox monitor might not stick or pick up well. I know it isn't fun, but that's surgery for ya ;)

:yeahthat: Sorry but I work at a surgical practice and every surgery we schedule we say no lotion, makeup, and nail polish. We don't outlaw deodorant though ;) I would just do no lotion and wash the makeup off before you go in if you really want to wear it. Part of the reason we say that also is because we have patients shower with hibiclens so putting on lotion would defeat the purpose of using the hibiclens.

Melanie
09-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry. That's Kaiser. They like to ruin things.

Don't let them - it's YOUR birth! ITA, put a light dusting of make up on there...but not too much. Though FWIW I looked like hell in both of my post-delivery photos. LOL. Make up was the last thing on my mind. I'm always envious of those who thought of it.

I'd be wearing the deodorant, really, how are they going to check for that?!

bisous
09-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Guys, just got a really informative post in a similar topic in the Expecting forum! I'm skipping lotion, going with light makeup, and nail polish isn't prohibited (so its going on!) and calling it good. :)

Here's a link to my other thread. I was both curious about the medical reasoning AND perturbed, hence the two threads, lol.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=409835&page=2

bisous
09-08-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry. That's Kaiser. They like to ruin things.

See, I've loved everything about Kaiser. Except this birth is just REALLY not going to be like my previous C! I got it all in my head what I'd do "this time" since I cannot really have the birth I'd like and that was my comfort. To have the rug pulled out from under me literally in my 39th week is just really distressing!

JTsMom
09-08-2011, 11:02 PM
:hug: I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this. I hope it all goes really well in the end, and that you get as close to the birth experience you want as humanly possible.

Melanie
09-09-2011, 03:07 AM
See, I've loved everything about Kaiser. Except this birth is just REALLY not going to be like my previous C! I got it all in my head what I'd do "this time" since I cannot really have the birth I'd like and that was my comfort. To have the rug pulled out from under me literally in my 39th week is just really distressing!

Most of my family had Kaiser when I was growing up. I got out after 23 years, some of my family died still having Kaiser (not BECAUSE of them, but they sure made it unnecessarily worse). I hear it depends upon the area, so my experience is S. Cal, but I've never heard a good thing about them down there.

HOWEVER, this will not be your case, you are well-educated about what you want, your rights and this will go YOUR way! :hug:

bisous
09-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks, all. I'm going in on Monday and I'll definitely report back.

I want to give Kaiser an earful and let them know precisely my experience. One thing I've noted is that they are constantly tweaking their model. I THINK they're using modern research and feedback to do it as well so maybe I can help a future mama!

Edensmum
09-09-2011, 09:27 AM
I can see the no lotion and nail polish, I get the medical reasons, but deodarant? I think I'd put on light make up anyway. I'm a rebel.

bubbaray
09-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I bet the no deodorant is due to a scent/fragrance free policy.

It sounds to me like one or more of the staff in the L&D unit have severe fragrance sensitivity. This is actually quite common in health care settings. Workers become sensitized to a chemical through exposure (such as to disinfectant) and then eventually they are sensitive to ALL chemicals. There is no treatment, only avoidance. Health care employers are very aware of this. You can google multiple chemical sensitivity/MCS or Darkroom Disease to learn more about the science.

IIWM, I would be completely scent-free that day. The last thing I want is an OR nurse or dr having an asthma attack during the c/s.

JMHO.

glbb35
09-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Maybe I am confused on what I am reading but are all the health care workers then not wearing any make-up, lotions or deodorants? I have to say I have never heard of not wearing something because a health care worker might have a reaction. IT is usually and should be the other way around. And I come from a family of doctors and nurses. Maybe we just do things different on the east coast. Heck, I am always learning something on this board.

I can understand not wearing some things depending on the surgery but I had major surgery a few years ago and they only said not to apply heavy make-ups (like you could wear a base make-up but not all the eye and lip stuff as well) and no perfumes, nail polish etc. There was nothing about lotions but they cleaned the surgery area so well that it wasn't any issue. Anesthesia was wearing make-up for sure and so was the nurse who was with me.

Just wondering...

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and new baby 7/11