PDA

View Full Version : Tell me everything I need to know about girl scouts

infomama
09-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Dd1 (2nd grade) is begging me to let her join the girl scouts. Both DH and I work full time outside of the home with very crazy hours. What is involved? Is this doable? My fear is that girl scouts is going to take over everything (free time).

momof2girls
09-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I am a co-leader with my 3rd graders troop. It is whatever your particular troop makes it out to be. Some are very serious (service hours, activities), while others are more lax. We choose to meet just 1 tiime a month but other troops meet twice a month or even weekly. It is up to your particular troop. We try to do one outing a month (like planetarium or museum). They are not mandatory but often girls get a patch for them. Some troop take turns with who brings snacks each meeting. Most meetings seem to be about 1.5 hours long.
If you are worried about fitting it into your scheuled, I'd try to find out what troop you'd be placed in then find out what their situation is.

infomama
09-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Dd1 brought home a letter from 1 of her classmates who is also in the troop and the letter stated that they meet twice a month

momof2girls
09-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Since every troop operates differently I would contact the troop leader. Plenty of girls in our troop have working parents. We meet right after school so often a grandparent drops off and a parent picks up. Some troops (like my other DD) meet much later (6:30).
None of our troops takes over our life in any way like sports seem to do. Projects are mostly done at the mtg and all excursions are totally optional and are almost always on the weekend.

missliss55
09-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I co-lead a 3rd grade brownie troop. We have been together since we were kindergarten daisies. My DD #2 does girl scouts too, she is in a daisy troop. My troop meets every other week for an hour and a half. We meet right after school in one of the classrooms. It works out great since everyone is already there. I love my troop, they are a great group of girls. We actually have our first meeting of the school year tomorrow.