PDA

View Full Version : If you have an elem kid and a little one at home-

LarsMal
09-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Have you/how do you volunteer at school? I really want to help out this year, but with a 2.5yo in tow it's kind of hard. I had signed up to help shelve books at the library, and I told her I had a little one. She put me on the busiest time of the week and asked me not to bring C. Of course that time is also when most kids are napping (she doesn't) so I'm having a hard time finding someone who can watch her. I think I'm going to tell the librarian to take me off the list.

I want to get involved, but I'm not sure how to do it with a little one. Any suggestions? Or- have you volunteered and brought your little one along? She's a shy kid who won't leave my side, so I'm not worried about her running off or causing problems. She really would just be an extension of me!

SnuggleBuggles
09-08-2011, 07:10 PM
My school is ok with little siblings so long as they aren't getting in the way or causing trouble. usually ds2 just uses he computer or the other kids play with him (I bring him to parties). But, preschool= my volunteer time and I put ds2 in preschool at 20 months just 2 days/ week that 1st year.
Beth

wencit
09-08-2011, 07:18 PM
I joined a babysitting co-op through my local mom's club. We trade babysitting services for points instead of money, essentially. Best. Thing. Ever! Your mom's club might have something similar. Or, is there another mom in the same boat as you, perhaps even in one of your kids' classes? You might be able to switch off favors. Is there a MDO program through your local church that you can use?

ett
09-08-2011, 07:20 PM
When DS2 was younger, I arranged it with my mother so that I could volunteer while she babysat. Last year, none of the volunteer times corresponded with DS2's preschool times (and conflicted with my mother's schedule too), so I didn't do any in school volunteering. But I did volunteer for several things that I could do on my own time.

chozen
09-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I joined a babysitting co-op through my local mom's club. We trade babysitting services for points instead of money, essentially. Best. Thing. Ever! Your mom's club might have something similar. Or, is there another mom in the same boat as you, perhaps even in one of your kids' classes? You might be able to switch off favors. Is there a MDO program through your local church that you can use?

this sounds great, could you explain alittle more about the point system.

JBaxter
09-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I didnt much last year. I had a friend who was in the same situation so we traded toddlers. This year Jack does 3 mornings of preschool so I am able to do more

KrisM
09-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Even last year, I'd wear DS2 on my back and volunteer in the cafeteria at lunch time. Otherwise, I haven't done much. I'm looking forward to it this year while DS2 is in preschool.

georgiegirl
09-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm going to go while DS (2) is at parents morning out (like preschool).

citymama
09-08-2011, 07:38 PM
LarsMal, this is me too. I asked DD1's teacher and here's what I can do:
--take DD2 with me if I am on playground or recess duty, in the carrier or stroller.
--go during DD2's nap on days when DH is working from home
--go first thing in the morning on days when DH can start work a little later, and vice-versa since he is signed up as a volunteer as well.

kristac
09-08-2011, 07:41 PM
There's plenty of stuff you can do from home- do cutouts, put together packets, sharpen pencils, send emails, etc.

My husband has a rotating shift so I volunteer on his weekday off 2-3 times a month. If the teacher needs me another day I would use my babysitting co-op but that has not happened yet. I wish I could do more, I love being in the classroom.

LarsMal
09-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Maybe I'll meet a mom who would like to trade time- that is a great idea- I just don't know any yet. C will be in preschool next year, so I'll have more time then. I was going to ask my neighbor's nanny if she would watch C for the 1.5 I'd be gone on Thursdays, but we had her sit over the weekend and she let L watch a rated R movie with her. DH won't let her be alone with our kids now, so that idea is out the window!!! :irked:

I think there were some things I could sign up to do from home, so I'll look into that again. Thanks!

Hawkeyewife
09-08-2011, 07:48 PM
I have struggled with this for years (I currently have an 8,6,3 and almost 2)... I donate stuff and have done things from home from time to time. I now have the two youngest at a preschool twice a week (but the two older kids now go to different school - DS started at a gifted school this year.) I figure I get 8 mornings off a month and can donate two of them to the school so one morning to one school, one to another. The other 6 are mine! I figure I won't even attempt room Mom until #4 is in K. Good Luck! We have all been there (or are currently there etc.) Don't feel like you have to do too much and try to have fun!

wencit
09-08-2011, 07:52 PM
this sounds great, could you explain alittle more about the point system.Sure! It's a group of 20 families, and whenever someone babysits for another person's child(ren), they get points added to their "account": 1 point for every 15 minutes of babysitting for 1 child, 1.5 points for 2 children, and 2 points for 3+ children. Conversely, if someone babysits for you, you get the points taken out of your "account." There is a secretary, which is a rotating position, that keeps track of everyone's points. Throughout the year, the babysitting co-op holds events (potlucks, barbecues, MNO, playdates) in order for families get to know each other so that you don't feel uneasy about leaving your children with a stranger, and also so that the kids get familiar with the other caregivers as well.

I have met some of my best friends through the babysitting co-op and absolutely love that I can do things without my kids (date night, anyone?), all for free!

crl
09-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I traded babysitting with a neighbor and used my time to volunteer at ds' school.

Catherine

connor_mommy
09-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Ask the teacher if there's anything you can do from home. Here's a list of some of the things in our class that can be done at home:

Scholastic Books order coordinator
cutting/prepping paper for art work
matting artwork
correcting math worksheets
Friday folders

I also do box tops and labels for education from home. I collect, trim, sort and submit them for the school.

dhano923
09-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Our school does not allow parents to bring younger siblings into the classrooms during volunteer. I would talk to the teacher and ask if there is any cutting, stapling, folding, etc you can do from home to help out. Our school questionaire always offers those at-home things as options of interest, as well as Class Party Photographer, and Class Snack Shopper (in kindergarten).

missliss55
09-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Our schools offer a free volunteer daycare so you can bring younger siblings there and then you can go help in the classroom. I have a great babysitter so I don't use the daycare but lots of my friends have and love it. I have my sitter come every Monday morning for an hour and a half so I can go volunteer in the classroom. I have 2 school aged kids so I alternate between the two classrooms.

brgnmom
09-09-2011, 02:19 AM
my son's teacher doesn't allow younger siblings into the classroom at all during parent helping times. She did make one exception during the first time I helped while my infant DD was inside my Ergo, but then she pointed out that due to liability reasons, I would no longer be able to bring her while parent helping. Thus, I'll only be able to help inside the classroom when I have childcare available for my DD & I've just volunteered to help outside the classroom as other moms here have suggested as well.

Fortunately, I'll be able to bring DD along during the field trips that are scheduled for the year & I can help out to some degree then as well.