PDA

View Full Version : cookie frosting recipe help please

sste
09-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Child's b-day party this weekend and making teddy bear cookies. Does anyone have an icing recipe for cookies - - not royal icing or anything with egg white in it. My DH is a freak about eggs and he doesn't even trust the pasteurized ones, he is completely irrational about this imo!

Any yummy frosting recipes?

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2011, 07:42 AM
I just use powdered sugar and water (maybe milk if I'll be consuming them soon), stirred till it's at a consistency you want depending on if you were spreading it, doing detail work or just a quick fill of color. You can add vanilla or, even better IMO almond extract, to it. I admit to prefering the taste of cake type frosting instead but mine gets the job done and is easy. So ling as the cookies are good the boring flavor of this frosting works fine.

Beth

ThreeofUs
09-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Honestly, if you want decent frosting, you have to use Crisco.

It about KILLS me as a chemist to say this, because Crisco is definitely not food in my book, but frosting made with Crisco is a lot easier to work with and has more "staying" power. And, trust me, I've done a lot of experimenting to disprove this.

ARGH.

But here's the non-Crisco recipe I use:

Powdered Sugar Frosting Recipe

* 2 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
* 2 Tablespoons water
* 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
* 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
* Food coloring to tint

Assemble all of the ingredients listed above in the recipe. Place all in a medium sized bowl and mix with a hand mixer until all is combined.
The frosting is ready after all ingredients have been incorporated. If the frosting is too thick, add a teaspoon of water until it reaches the desired consistency.

Drop a few drops of food coloring into the prepared frosting and stir thoroughly to give it a color. Use one drop for a light color and four or more drops if a darker color is desired.

sste
09-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Thank you!! And the teddy bears thank you. :)