PDA

View Full Version : The latest in Fairy's Kitchen Mishaps: Can I Still Eat This?

Fairy
09-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I never said I was good in the kitchen. In fact, I'm barely scraping by. And by scraping, I mean that literally half the time, as I scrape the schmutz from the bottom of my pans post-meal more often-than not. You can go ahead and laugh at me, it's ok, I don't care. Here is my latest adventure in mishaps, and I'd appreciate if someone out there could tell me if I can still eat these eggs or not?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/FairyMay9/2011-09-09_11-59-39_263.jpg

Before you ask where the water is, it got boiled off. See, I wanted something to eat when I wore up this very late morning (DH let me sleep in, as I don't work on Fridays), and there was nothing much I could have for a snacky since it was so close to lunch, and I didn't wanna make a lunch yet. So, I thought, damn, this is where a hardboiled egg comes in handy, and I've had alot of those on this diet, so I put some on to boil for this weekend's snacks. 45 minutes later, DH comes down and spies the stove and asks me why I'm boiling eggs dry. I shout an expletive and see that my pot has been boiling nothing but dry eggs for what must be a very long time, as you can see from the photo.

I put them in cold water, the pot *looks* ok kinda. I opened an egg, one burned spot, took it off, and sniffed. Not smelling like it went bad, but not smelling right either. small bite. It could pass muster in my tuna salad. So -->

1. Would you eat the eggs?
2. Is my pot ok?

Discuss, use me for fodder elsewhere, whatever ya need to do, as long as someone doesn't mind chiming in. Thanks.

momm
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Of course you can eat it.. it's just very hard boiled.

Pot can be soaked, cleaned, used.

Happens to everyone.. has happened to me. Don't beat yourself up so much!

weech
09-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Fairy, I've missed your kitchen mishap threads! Love this! :jammin:

And I would definite still eat the eggs and toss the pot in the dishwasher.

Staraglimmer
09-09-2011, 01:29 PM
You can eat them. They won't hurt you :). I've done that. Just soak your pot in hot soapy water. :). No real harm done :). Enjoy your eggs, I'm sure they taste fine.

Sent from my iPhone
Steph

bubbaray
09-09-2011, 01:40 PM
:yeahthat: to all of the above.

FWIW, lucky you caught this when you did. I nearly burnt our house down years back doing the same thing. The pot completely burned through and the eggs were charcoal. Extensive smoke damage everywhere AND the restoration people told me that protein fires were the worst to get rid of smell. It was horrible.

Melaine
09-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I would eat it, not sure if it would taste great though. Don't think it's a safety issue of any kind. I had a horrible burned pot issue, and was told to sprinkle lots of baking soda and water and bring it to a low boil for a minute. It cleaned up almost perfectly, in case the pot needs a little TLC!

ShanaMama
09-09-2011, 02:25 PM
:yeahthat: to all of the above.

FWIW, lucky you caught this when you did. I nearly burnt our house down years back doing the same thing. The pot completely burned through and the eggs were charcoal. Extensive smoke damage everywhere AND the restoration people told me that protein fires were the worst to get rid of smell. It was horrible.

This is what I was going to say. Fairy, the eggs should be fine but you really got lucky. I have a relative whose house truly burnt down from a pot of eggs. It was a horrible fire & so sad.