PDA

View Full Version : gassy baby-help!

petesgirl
09-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Help! My baby is super gassy! Sometimes he will scream in pain and then we hear a big toot. He even wakes himself up from naps when he passes gas! What can we do? We have already tried mylicon drops and they seemed to help at first but not much now.

Indianamom2
09-09-2011, 08:33 PM
How old is your baby?

The only thing that has ever given my babies terrible gas is dairy products (not just milk, but anything with milk or a milk product like whey/casein, etc). They would scream in pain and have HORRID gas.

I didn't know it with my first child, but I learned about with my second, so I elminated all dairy while nursing with DS and it made a HUGE difference.

If you're nursing, try eliminating dairy for about 2 weeks and see if it helps. If you're formula feeding, you might try a sensitive formula or soy or a hypoallergenic formula.

BayGirl2
09-12-2011, 07:28 PM
My DS had horrible gas too and was just generally colicky and crying for a few months. So I totally feel for you.

We tried everything and finally used a homeopathic medicine with activated charcoal. I believe it was this one: http://www.coliccalm.com
It looks a bit gross and stains if you get it on fabric, and it makes their poop darker. But I remember that it worked well enough that we bought a second bottle.

Dairy allergies could be an issue, but I believe there are other symptoms for that as well, like blood in their stools. A lot of babies have gas without an allergy related cause. We knew it wasn't that bc we had supplemented with a dairy based formula with no issue weeks before the gas even started.

adamlau
09-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Consider pre and probiotics. Culturelle is the big name in this field.