PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 in SS class?

KpbS
09-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I am so mad that DS1's new Sunday School teacher thought it was a good idea to talk about 9/11 in class today. :32: I really can't believe it. She is a dear old lady but c'mon these kids are 6 and 7 years old!!! This was not the year I wanted to explain things to DS1 even in a basic way and now I have to try to find out what on earth she said to them and figure out what to say and what to not say :(

TwinFoxes
09-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Oh dear. I hope he wasn't too upset. Maybe it was something very generic? I think someone else posted their DC learned about it in kindy!

justlearning
09-11-2011, 09:05 PM
That would bother me too. This morning I was a helper in the 4th grade Sunday School class, and not a word was mentioned about 9/11. I do think that parents should be given the choice about when they want to talk about it with their kids and what they want to say regarding it.

DietCokeLover
09-11-2011, 09:09 PM
I would be bothered by that as well. Was your DS upset by what he heard?

ShanaMama
09-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I would be fuming. It's one thing to discuss it with kids on the day it happened (in 01) if they were old enough to understand, but at this point it's each parent's decision when to explain it to their children. I would be having a talk with her.

KpbS
09-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I would be bothered by that as well. Was your DS upset by what he heard?

I don't know what he heard or if he is upset because he brought it up at the dinner table with his 3 yo brother and I wasn't about to let that conversation continue! Bedtime seemed like an equally bad time to bring it up so I will have to talk with him about it tomorrow. Dreading it.

almostamom
09-12-2011, 12:20 AM
This is why we didn't go to church today. They were having a big tribute this morning and again this afternoon. My kid is 6. He doesn't need to know about this just yet.

I'm sorry you're going to have to talk about this tomorrow. :hug:

Linda