PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Thomas

Claki
09-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Is this a good deal. They are asking $130:

This is a wonderful Thomas-branded Island of Sodor Train Table from Learning Curve. Includes 3-D faces of the favorite characters from Thomas on both sides of the table. Table also includes tons of Thomas-branded track, wooden Thomas trains and Thomas accessories.

There is some light wear on top of table from normal use and light wear on the engines, but generally this table & its accessories are all in GREAT shape!

Includes:
• 52 pieces of track!
• 14 Wooden Engines (all Thomas characters, only 2 duplicates)
• 1 Motorized Bullet Train
• 7 Plastic Tomy Engines (5 of which are motorized and fit this track)
• 6 Large Wooden Track Accessories (i.e. Tunnel, Bridge, Mine, Mountain)

katydid1971
09-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Well the tract is about $1 a piece=$52
The trains are about $10 each=$140
The accessories are about $20 each=$120
Without the other stuff I haven't heard of you have $212 worth of Thomas plus a table which could be anywhere from $100-$250. IF its in good shape I think its a good deal.

Claki
09-12-2011, 06:30 PM
I need to step away! DS would love this for his upcoming 2nd birthday, but I don't have a room for a train table. I just love good deals.

larig
09-12-2011, 06:43 PM
I think Katydid was being a little conservative in her estimates--here the engines regular prices are anywhere from 12-20 a piece (big engines, like Gordon are $20). $20 would be on the very very on sale low-end for the accessories. The cheapest bridge I've gotten for DS was $25 on sale. It's tons of stuff for the money. We've got a small fortune in Thomas stuff (thanks to grandparents--DS's Grams is great at finding deals on it.)

katydid1971
09-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I think Katydid was being a little conservative in her estimates--here the engines regular prices are anywhere from 12-20 a piece (big engines, like Gordon are $20). $20 would be on the very very on sale low-end for the accessories. The cheapest bridge I've gotten for DS was $25 on sale. It's tons of stuff for the money. We've got a small fortune in Thomas stuff (thanks to grandparents--DS's Grams is great at finding deals on it.)
I was being conservative, I try to think on the low end of pricing to see if its a good deal. Even on the low end I think its a good deal. You could buy the set and resell the table for $50 easily.
ETA: With a baby it might be nice to have the table to keep things off the floor for a while ;)

BayGirl2
09-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Agree, that's a good deal for all that stuff. I'd probably get it and resell the table if you don't need that part. The table itself sounds pretty nice so you could probably get some good $ for it. The best I've seen on anything truly Thomas was recently at TJ Maxx: $7 for the engines and $20 for 2 of the accessories.

However, if you do want to resist, you could build a set for a whole lot less by getting mostly non-Thomas stuff. Depends how Thomas-specific your DCs are.

Claki
09-12-2011, 09:40 PM
You all twisted my arm! I'm picking it up Wednesday.

kijip
09-13-2011, 02:54 AM
Be careful that none of the ones with have been recalled. You have to be pretty familiar to determine the vintage...the really old ones are fine. The ones from 2008 on are fine. But there was a huge recall 4 years ago in 2007 and I bet a lot of those recalled trains are still floating around out there and being sold used. It mainly was about red paints having lead. Engines, cars and many destinations were impacted. We had most of the recall list from accumulating train presents from the time T was 2 until the recall...which came and recalled his 4th b-day present before he unwrapped it. And made me have to swipe back his Christmas presents he got that school year.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07212.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07308.html

http://orderstatus.rc2corp.com/orderentry/cgi/run.bat?initial=e_return1=DisplayForm

As you can imagine, a lot of BBB moms with older kids had recalled Thomas stuff that year. It was such a hassle but it did bring about heightened awareness of toy safety issues.

Claki
09-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Thank you so much for the heads up on the recall! I remember reading about it now when I did a Thomas search on the boards, but I never would have thought to check. If I do find a piece or two that has been recalled can I get it replaced still?

jerigirl
09-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Thank you so much for the heads up on the recall! I remember reading about it now when I did a Thomas search on the boards, but I never would have thought to check. If I do find a piece or two that has been recalled can I get it replaced still?

I was able to about a year ago. They were really quick too.

Claki
09-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Update: After a long chain of emails, the seller just canceled our transaction. It just occurred to her to pass them down to her nephews instead of selling! Oh well. I'm sure there will be more deals to come.

hellokitty
09-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry she cancelled out on you. I have a feeling she realized that she priced it too low and decided to back out to sell at a higher price. Hopefully, you will come across something better. FWIW, I like geotrax better than wooden thomas (we have both, plus some other sets), it's, "grown" better with my boys than the wooden thomas has, and even the adults enjoy the geotrax sets. They are really fun to set up. So, maybe you can see if they have any geotrax in your area. I've scored a nice set for only $8 at a yard sale to add to our set, my DH couldn't believe it.