PDA

View Full Version : Dear PreK Teacher

alleycat
09-12-2011, 11:03 PM
I only asked for a list of approved snacks because I'm concerned about the kids with allergies in DD's class. I'm not being lazy. Well, maybe it would make my life easier but wouldn't it also be safer for the kids if I knew what I can let DD bring? She's picky so it's hard enough. Yes, I know I can read the labels, but what if I miss something or if it's not labeled, can I assume it's safe or do I assume it's not safe?

Please preK teacher don't give me the brush off. And yes, I did have another question so I will stand here and wait patiently while you speak to another parent. Don't pretend I'm not still standing here. These questions may seem dumb to you but it's my first time sending my DD to preK so I have questions especially when I have a problem with your request. I don't need the attitude. So I guess now I'll be labeled the "difficult" mom.

PreK starts on Wednesday. I think I'll call tomorrow to see if there are openings in another class.

elizabethkott
09-12-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm so sorry!!!
I would think that a teacher would welcome a parent's concern about keeping other kids safe re: allergies!
Wow. And to stand there and pretend you're not there? WOW.
(((((hugs)))))

niccig
09-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Not sure about pretending you're not there, but not having a list of approved snacks and asking you to read labels is because manufacturers change their ingredients and labeling. What is fine in September, may not be fine in May, so you can't rely on an approved list.

It's safer for the FA kids to not have an approved list that is out of date and have people read the label on the product at time of purchase. I would be surprised if a school gave out a list - liability to say X and Y are fine, and then to find out they are not.

jal
09-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Our private kindergarden school also does NOT provide an approved list of snacks. Instead, it is the school's policy that children with known allergies must bring their own snack. That free's the school from having to try to train everyone (teacher and ALL the parents) do deal with the minority of children with special dietary needs.

craftysierra
09-13-2011, 12:35 PM
I understand a list can go out of date but what would have helped me was a list (or rules) of the allergens in the class and other ingredients to look out for (milk can also be called... etc)

longtallsally05
09-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Sounds like the teacher was being pretty rude. I'd consider switching too! Our private pre-K provided a list of snacks that were dairy-free when DD had a couple kids in her class with food allergies. The school's policy was if snacks are part of the day, then the room had to be whatever-allergen-free if there was a child with that kind of FA in that room. Lunches didn't have to be allergen free, b/c lunch bunch was optional. Truthfully, I think that the parents of children with FAs provided the list. I don't think I ever would have been able to find the right kind of cake mix and right kind of margarine to use for dairy-free birthday cupcakes if they hadn't.

elizabethkott
09-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I understand a list can go out of date but what would have helped me was a list (or rules) of the allergens in the class and other ingredients to look out for (milk can also be called... etc)

J's PreK program (same school as where he was last year for Pre School) asks the parents of the children with allergies to provide the teacher with a list of "safe" foods; the teacher then distributes the entire list to the other parents in the class.
We've only had peanut allergies to be careful of; this list was very very helpful for J's in class birthday party last year, because I knew that a certain store's pre-made cupcakes were totally nut free and safe for all the kids in his class, and approved by the parents of the kids with the allergy.

ThreeofUs
09-13-2011, 06:52 PM
This is a dangerous beginning for kids with FA in that classroom. I'd go talk to the school supervisor, with a copy of Food Allergies accepted practices for schools.

One of these is to have a list for all parents about foods that are acceptable, accompanying a letter listing the FA's and what these look like on ingredient lists.

*sigh* I'm so sorry you have to go through this.