PDA

View Full Version : Help with LL bean jackets

toby
09-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I am a little confused about the difference between the Casco Bay jacket and the lined Discovery Rain Jacket. It looks like the Discovery (lined with fleece) might be heavier than the Casco (lined with cotton). There aren't many boy colors in the Casco that are still in stock, so I was looking at the Casco Colorblock, but it looks like this doesn't have any lining other than nylon...confusing! Can anyone give me the low down on these?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/53951?page=casco-bay-jacket
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45260?feat=53951-ppxs&dds=y
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63352?feat=pprv

Also, help with sizing would be appreciated. DS is a 6x-7, but I was wondering about sizing up to a 8, unless they run big.

Thanks!

bubbaray
09-13-2011, 10:54 AM
I buy the Discovery Jackets with the mesh lining. I size up so that they can wear them for 2 seasons. We :heartbeat: these jackets -- we live in a rainforest, so they get a lot of use.

ThreeofUs
09-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I buy the Discovery Jackets with the mesh lining. I size up so that they can wear them for 2 seasons. We :heartbeat: these jackets -.

:yeahthat:

Casco Bay is a fabric over nylon jacket. Nice enough, but not really a rain jacket, more like a sailing jacket.

Discovery has the taped seams, mesh lining, that you need in a rain coat.

Kindra178
09-13-2011, 11:52 AM
The Discovery with the fleece lining is an awesome jacket. The fleece is so soft but light. Perfect for fall or spring rainy days. It would be way too hot for summer rains. Casco Bay is more windbreaker than rain jacket. The unlined Discovery is a great summer rain jacket. The Trail Model jacket is also an awesome rain coat, although it is kind of slicker like/plastic like.

I got DS1 the 5-6 medium size in the Trail Model style. He is 45 inches and 43 pounds. He has plenty of room in it and I suspect he will get another season out of it.

WatchingThemGrow
09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Would you say the discovery with fleece is similar to the Boden Anorak with fleece or the Hanna Anorak, weight wise?

Kindra178
09-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Would you say the discovery with fleece is similar to the Boden Anorak with fleece or the Hanna Anorak, weight wise?

Discovery with fleece is significantly lighter than the Boden Anorak. The Boden Anorak has a thick fleece and is a puffier type jacket. You could probably wear the Boden Anorak down to 30/35 degrees or so. The Discovery is a rain jacket with a thin, soft fleece lining, but it's not something I would wear below 50/55 or so.

toby
09-13-2011, 01:47 PM
This is VERY helpful. DS has had the Lands' End Packable Navigator jacket for the past few years, but I don't like the sticky, plastic inside. I would like something that could function as a rain jacket, but would also be good for cool spring or summer mornings. It sounds like the Discovery with the mesh lining would be good (the lined one seems like it would be too heavy for our needs).

One more question- are people saying that the LL Bean Casco Bay isn't really water resistant? (I am looking at the solid color one which has the cotton lining).

Thank you!